4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 1:03 PM by Chek Wingo

Starting from Scratch: Advice on Compatability

Chek Wingo

I've been editing AVCHD with CS4 on a Core 2 duo, 4gb RAM, n9600 gtm, single HDD, having to render everything all of the time—it's bad, so I'm starting from scratch (with a budget of ~$2000).

For AVCHD (and probably D7000 footage) with CS5.5:

i72600k

Asus P8P67 EVO

Vengeance 16gb DDR3 1600/ Kaspersky

EVGA GTX 570 HD

Corsair AX850

CoolerMaster HAF 932

Samsung Spinpoint F4 320gb 16MB cache 3Gb/s - OS/programs  <---is $60 price tag suspicious for this?

WD CavBlack 1TB 7200 32MB 3Gb/s - media

3x WD CavBlack 500gb 7200 32MB 6Gb/s - projects, scratch, export, respectively

Pioneer Burner BDR-206DBKS

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Will this work? I would really appreciate some feedback before I pull the trigger on this stuff.

RAM is not on QVL for MB, is anyone else using this RAM with this MB, this cooler?

Also, is there a CS5.5 "fix" for use with D7000 yet, i.e., not having to batch rename media before edit, or is anyone editing D7000 footage with specs similar to this?

• 1. Re: Starting from Scratch: Advice on Compatability
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks good. This is a case of homework well done. No suggestions from me and rest assured, the Vengeance is a popular choice. The 212 is not as massive as the Noctua D14, so I expect no problems with the cooling fins on the memory.

I don't know about the D7000 'fix', since I only use regular video cameras. DSLR is way too expensive and cumbersome for me.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Starting from Scratch: Advice on Compatability
            Chek Wingo Level 1

Appreciate the feedback, Harm.

I neglected to mention that I have, as yet, no method of backup. Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Starting from Scratch: Advice on Compatability
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>no method of backup

Backup of what?  Individual files, Boot drive... ???

For individual files and folders, I have a 2Gig USB drive attached and I just use Windows Explorer to copy (USB drive has an on/off switch, so not always on)

For the boot drive, you should buy AND USE software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work

This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 4. Re: Starting from Scratch: Advice on Compatability
                Chek Wingo Level 1

Yes, Boot drive, thank you. Looks good.