33 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 1:50 AM by RjL190365

Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Having at long last started using the installation of Premiere Pro CS5 that has been mostly unused for the best part of a year, I am finding that my three year old system is in need of an upgrade.  It runs fairly smoothly for editing, but takes an age to render anything.

Ny current system is:

Q9550

8Gb DDR2

HD4850 2Gb  (I'd had driver problems with my previous nVidea card)

300Gb 10k rpm WD Velociraptor (OS and program files)

150Gb 7k4 rpm Velociraptor (reserved for scratch)

2 x WD 1Tb Black internal

2 x WD 1Tb USB3 external  (I love these.  They are pretty much as fast as my internal drives)

PSU Gigabyte 650W

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (OEM version)  This replaced Win XP 32bit with only 4Gb of DDR2, and made heaps of difference with Photoshop.

I am thinking along the lines of

i7 2600K

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD  (with the 20Gb SSD on the board)

GTX470

24Gb DDR3

Windows Professional (to access the 24Gb RAM)

I hope to keep my current box and PSU.

Questions:

1) Would it be a good idea to get a second 300Gb 10k rpm Velociraptor and Raid 0 them?   I am thinking this would give me usefull capacity and speed for the C: drive, and I would no longer have to wait for my data drives to wake up.

2) The person doing the upgrade tells me that there is lots going on with processors at the moment - especially with AMD.  Intel only look like revising the i7 to a 2700K with another 100hz which seems daft with the 2600k being so easy to OC.  Is it worth waiting?  I know the usual advise for this sort of question is there is always something coming along, so get on and enjoy what is available now.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
          Yiu-kun

0) The Gigabyte boards support 24GB of RAM, but the Asus top-end motherboards are best for stability and speed.

1) Yes it would be, but, current prices for the SSDs are going down really swiftly, and if speed is your thing, get a 120/240GB SSD from OCZ instead and enjoy 550MB/s read, 500MB write at the full SATA 6Gb/s specification. Your WD Velociraptor is likely a SATA 3Gb/s drive, meaning there's so much more potential going to waste with the new motherboard and drive even if you stick with the Gigabyte board.

2)Yes, the price differences between the 2600k and the 2700k are worth it. The 2700k is built better, making it easier to overclock to higher speeds with the same cooling methods. AMD just released the new Bulldozers and they don't come anywhere near the i7 line, but their presence has raised Intel's pricing a little.

Without any detail on the case it's hard to recommend what to do with keeping your current one.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?

That's great info. Thanks.  My case is a Gigabyte ATX midi with four air cooled bays (from the spec sheet)  I did not know the i7 2700k was already available, and it is only another NZ$50 than the 2600k, so I will definitely take your advice on that, and have another look at SSDs for the OS.

• 3. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
              Yiu-kun Level 1

I looked up your case. It should be fine with the setup. If you plan on overclocking, I highly recommend the Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler. It will keep your CPU up to 50 degrees Celcius cooler if you apply it correctly.

And yes, SSDs by OCZ are amazingly fast compared to competitors. I currently have a 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD, but I wish I got the Vertex 3 honestly (very little price difference).

• 4. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, but Yiu-kun gave you wrong information.

First a Z68 mobo supports only 16 GB memory (4 DIMM slots), unless you opt for the extravagantly pricey 8 GB sticks. Also his claim that Asus is better than Gigabyte is complete nonsense. They are different but equally good.

Second, it is useless to get anything else than the Intel 311 SSD to use in combination with the 300 G Velociraptor on this mobo. See AnandTech - Intel Z68 Chipset & Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) Review

Only get OCZ or other brand SSD's if you want to empty your wallet and have no better purpose for your $$$, like making a donation to PPBM5/6. Your editing performance will not improve at all with SSD's.

Do not raid your boot disk. Get a big tower and unless you are a very experienced system builder, forego the hassle of liquid cooling and stick to a good third party air cooler like CoolerMaster, Noctua or Prolimatech. Liquid cooling is a tedious thing to install and optimize and does only give marginal benefits if overclocking to the extreme. For normal overclocks air cooling is just as good or even better.

The only thing Yiu-kun got right is the 2700K, that is worth the extra few $$ over the 2600K.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                  Yiu-kun Level 1

Harm whatever is bothering you, please don't take it out on me.

1) Asus hold the top spot for highest overclockings while stable. Gigabyte may provide similar technologies but the enthusiasts setting world records are using Asus.

http://rog.asus.com/2009_old_bak/blog/blogmain.aspx?bID=201104140567AF76338443DDB7204

2) An Intel 20GB SSD costs the equivilant to 135 US Dollars in the UK, whereas the OCZ 120GB cost me the equivilent of 195 US Dollars. Taken directly from the site, the Intel 311 SSD only has speeds up to 200 MB/s / 105 MB/s read / write respectively. That's the equivilent of SATA 3Gb/s standard SSDs. Even my 60GB Corsair F running at 250MB/s / 225MB/s read/write cost the same amount of money back in January. How is a 350MB/s read and 399MB/s write increase USELESS? At the current prices, the Intel drives are the ones that will waste your money. Your editing performance WILL increase if your cache and current project files are stored on the SSD, especially with bloated file formats such as uncompressed AVI and near enough anything running 24Mb/s video data rate.

3) It's just as much a hassle fitting a closed-loop Corsair H100 as it is a hell of a lot more efficient than air cooling. Or would you like to tell me that CoreTemp was lying when I read my Intel i5 750 Quad Core overclocked to 3.3GHz at an idle of only 25 degrees celcius with the older Corsair H50?

Seriously, it's a pump connected to a radiator. The radiator is already hooked up to a fan. The only difference between air coolers and water coolers is that with these simplified water coolers, the radiator gets mounted on the back on the inside, instead of jutting out the motherboard.

To conclude this point, if you have your fans set to Active instead of Passive, closed water systems can't be beat. The only thing better would be either a custom built liquid cooler, phase-change cooler or a liquid-element cooler (Hydrogen, Helium, Nitrogen, etc) - which do exist, Harm.

To conclude, I'm not the noob Harm is trying to make me out to be. I do my research. He obviously doesn't mind an unbalanced and potentially unstable system, nor does he mind if others have to deal with them. He'll recommend the brands he likes verses the ones which simply perform the best. I suppose next he'll be saying Acer is the best PC manufacturer in the world, or that you should "just get a Mac".

Just because I'm new to the forums doesn't mean I don't know my stuff. I came here to contribute some enthusiast knowledge and ask if and when the Adobe crew were planning on supporting dual-processor GPUs.

Trevor, please let me know if there's any other information you need.

• 6. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?

Thanks harm, and thanks Yiu-kun.

I gave up building my own systems two builds back because it is barely any cheaper, and it meant catching up with what was state of the art from scratch every time.  We have an excellent computer shop in my town, and they seem to know what is going on, and I have a good relationship with them.  I don't think they are particularly knowledgeable regarding Premiere Pro CS5 though.  I've exchanged several emails with my system builder today, but I really need to go speak to him face to face, and that can't happen until the end of the week.

I've been devouring threads and articles on the Adobe forums, Tom's Hardware, and DV Info, and had of course read Harm's excellent 'The SSD Myth Unravelled' thread, so was skeptical about the benefit of going that way.  Having just reread 'The SSD Myth Unravelled' thread - it takes a few reads for everything to sink in - I can now put the statement on the OCZ website about defraging being uncesseary with an SSD, and can even lessen its lifespan.

OK So I am now in a muddle because I did not realise that Z68 chip sets could only handle 16Gb.  So what would be a better way to go if I want to go above 16Gb?

Harm, did you recommend a bigger tower from the point of coolling? It might even be a cheaper option because it would leave my current system intact and far more saleable.  I would welcome and appreciate any advice on what way to go.

• 7. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?

I'm still trying to get to grips with this.  Is there a real advantage going above 16Gb?  Would I need to go with a socket 1366 MB in order to do so?

• 8. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                        Yiu-kun Level 1

Well Trevor the only thing I can say after reading his "Myth" of a story on SSDs is that you will have to see these disks for yourself to make any assumption. I can tell you from personal experience I've seen file transfers between SSDs reach 423MB on a set of a few thousand MP3s, but Harm is going to tell you I'm lying. Sure, if you have only 1 SSD in your computer it's read and writes will slow each other down - just like ANY other drive. However, read speed on SATA 6Gb/s drives are much faster than two 7200 hard-drives in RAID.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/new-intel-ssd-510-ocz-vertex-3-series-take-solid-state -drive-performance-to-next-level/5189

Intel SSDs are good, but are they worth 3 times more then the OCZs? Not in my opinion.

As for the RAM issue, I can't think (searched - nor can I find) any decent motherboards including the one you selected (Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD) which had 6 slots for RAM, meaning you will have to buy expensive 8GB RAM modules and either have 16GB RAM or 32GB RAM. Sticking 3 cards into 4 slots isn't recommended, so to get 24GB RAM in particular, you will need to get a 1366 chipset Intel processor.

• 9. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                          Yiu-kun Level 1

In the Adobe After Effects online manual, it recommends 4, stays okay at 8, fine at 16, and fluently in 32. If you're only using Premiere and you're not going over the top with effects, 16GB should be fine. I've done 10 minute short films using tons of visual effects and I survived (albeit annoyingly) on 4GB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

I'm aiming for a similar system. I too wish for +24GB RAM.

Tell me Trevor, how much is this PC costing you? A little off-topic I know, but I'm building mine because in the UK the system I want to build would cost £2500-£3000 when I'm building it for £1600.

• 10. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                            Yiu-kun Level 1

Also, if you refer to Harm's post about SSD Myths, you'll notice a lengthy comment by AdobeHasIssues. Harm's not been keeping up to date with the latest and greatest hardware, and you shouldn't falter because of his outdated knowledge.

• 11. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

1. While it is a nice accomplishment to achieve 6 GHz with the SB, it is utterly irrelevant for video editing. There is a difference between 5 minute stability and 24/7 stability for video editing.

2. SSD manufacturers can claim those speeds, because they use very skewed material that can be heavily compressed and only in 4K blocks. Unfortunately video material is already heavily compressed and is never exactly 4K in size. See Adobe Forums: The SSD myth unraveled

The Z68 can benefit nicely from the Velociraptor Trevor has with the addition of the Intel 311, as shown in the Anandtech link.

3. Check out some tests on Anandtech or Tom's where the Corsair H50 can not beat a good aircooler.. Now this may not apply if you overclock to 6 GHz, but for OC's up to 4.5 GHz, the H50 is no better than a Noctua D14.

Your research is severely lacking if you say that the Z68 platform supports 24 GB. You also missed some of my occasional posts here, where I emphasize the need for a balanced and stable system.

I do my research. He obviously doesn't mind an unbalanced and potentially unstable system, nor does he mind if others have to deal with them. He'll recommend the brands he likes verses the ones which simply perform the best. I suppose next he'll be saying Acer is the best PC manufacturer in the world, or that you should "just get a Mac".

I suggest you do some reading, starting with the FAQ list under the Overview tab if you do your research. Also check PPBM5 Benchmark

• 12. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Trevor,

There are several considerations to go for a big tower. It is easier to install all your components, it has more expansion room for the future, it allows for better airflow and better cable management, it gives you more options for the video card to fit in.

With current prices 4 x 4 GB makes a lot more sense than 4 x 8 GB, especially with PR.

Yiu-kun's research that he claims, is so lacking in real-life video editing expertise, that he completely misses the point of a balanced and stable system. In your case Trevor, rather than investing in extremely expensive 8 GB sticks or SSD's, I would first invest in extra 7200 SATA disks and possibly a dedicated raid controller.

NB. Home Premium is limited to 16 GB memory. For more memory you need Win7 Pro.

• 13. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                  Yiu-kun Level 1

1) The point is the 2600k can go really far. 5GHz easy.

2) Oh don't worry Harm, I read your out-dated post on SSDs. I don't need to read it and all the other posts below it again.

3) I was not recommending the H50 to Trevor. I said that the H50 was what I used at the time. I recommended the H100, a far superior product. True, unless Trevor decides to do a bit of overclocking it's just as safe staying with stock fans at stock speeds.

"Your research is severely lacking if you say that the Z68 platform supports 24 GB."

Forgive me, I was thinking of the 1366 platform. If you bothered reading my other posts, you would have seen that I corrected myself with the Wiki page on the LGA1155 socket.

"You also missed some of my occasional posts here, where I emphasize the need for a balanced and stable system."

Ehm, that's your second post. Your first post had nothing to do with anything besides slandering my knowledge and recommending hardware you think is superior when there are disapproving stats all over the internet (and even as extreme enthusiast I know will vote for Asus after being a Gigabyte fan for years).

"I suggest you do some reading, starting with the FAQ list under the Overview tab if you do your research. Also check PPBM5 Benchmark."

Well I've read through what could still be considered relevant in modern times in the FAQ. Nothing relevant there. I'm checking the PPBM5 out now.

• 14. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

As for the RAM issue, I can't think (searched - nor can I find) any decent motherboards including the one you selected (Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD) which had 6 slots for RAM, meaning you will have to buy expensive 8GB RAM modules and either have 16GB RAM or 32GB RAM.

If you had done your research properly, you would know that the SB platform uses dual channel memory and thus will never have 6 DIMM slots.

• 15. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                      Alan Craven Level 4

Surely, now is not a good time to upgrade, with new Intel processors and appropriate motherboards due out within the next month?  My understanding is that these will remove the 4 sticks of memory limit - I have seen photographs of motherboards with 8 memory slots.  The restriction on the PCI express lanes will also be lifted.  As these are to be enthusiast orientated, there will be 6 core processors, and I hope that there will be Asus boards without the Intel on-board graphics.  Rumour has it that will not be much gain in speed though.

I am in the same position as the OP - a 3 Y.O. system, but with a slightly more potent processor.  Dearly as I would have liked to upgrade earlier this year, I have steeled myself to wait until February when I return from my winter migration.  By then any teething problems with the new processors and motherboards should be known.

• 16. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?

Alan, that is exactly what I wanted to know, and what I suspected but did not really understand.  I shall hold back another month or two and keep a close eye on the forums and Tom's Hardware.

• 17. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                          Yiu-kun Level 1

Harm I have more than enough knowledge about what a stable system is. Go, continue to bash me and tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about when you yourself have no clue about. Trying to dismiss my contribution by filling this thread with outdated and thus currently false information makes you look all the more ignorant.

If you had the ability to understand what I'm saying, you wouldn't have ignored my post:

"If you're only using Premiere and you're not going over the top with effects, 16GB should be fine."

but no, if you read that that would mean I'm not completely ignorant about a stable system now, wouldn't it?

Now tell me Harm, where exactly am I going completely off the charts and suggesting he builds an unstable system?

Nowhere in this post have I suggested such a thing.

He already has plenty of hard drives for storage.

Why does he need umpteen more? He didn't even mention getting another hard drive for storage, he wanted a fast drive for RAIDing his boot drive when he could just as easily get a 120GB SSD, stick the OS on that, and use the Velociraptor for working projects, and his others for finished/archived projects.

How am I being unreasonable? How is any of that so "lacking"?

You can't even keep up with modern hardware let alone the comprehension of someone who can.

Now, to point it out one last time since you don't seem to be fully grasping my posts:

Where have I ever mentioned anything leading to instability?

Instability. Not "oh well SSDs die quicker." or "Well when I looked them up months ago they weren't that good." or "Your posts are illegible so I'm going to belittle you with irrelevant arguments." I want a real legitimate answer.

Trevor, sorry I misinterpretted your question. If Harm or I grasped your question a little earlier this probably wouldn't have taken as long as it had.

Alan, thank you for clearing that up!

• 18. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

I do my research. He obviously doesn't mind an unbalanced and potentially unstable system, nor does he mind if others have to deal with them. He'll recommend the brands he likes verses the ones which simply perform the best. I suppose next he'll be saying Acer is the best PC manufacturer in the world, or that you should "just get a Mac".

You make assumptions you can't substantiate.

• 19. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                              Yiu-kun Level 1

And based on that one post you try to shoot everything I say down? How mature.

Well then, if not because you yourself prefer the Gigabyte brand, would you mind telling me why you would not recommend the Asus motherboard, and why I am so wrong for suggesting it?

Using that reason for your outlashes, I can't help but think you felt out-staged simply because some noob came in here and recommended was is the best product, (you not actually knowing trying to correct me) then belittling me left and right upon the realization that you were incorrect.

It may be the world record holder for overclocking, but that in no way makes it unstable.

So for a moment I mistook 1366's 6 DIMMS for being available on the 1155 architecture. Big deal. I've made far fewer mistakes than you have in this thread.

You make assumptions you can't substantiate.

You don't know when to quit.

• 20. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                Islanders66 Level 1

If you (or someone else reading this) can wait a month, and depending on your situation, it might also be worth keeping an eye out for prices dropping on the x58, namely the 970 and 980. You won't be able to upgrade the processor to the new E, but a 6 core, 24 GB RAM, isnn't suddenly going to stop working when the new chips come out.  Likewise the the 500 series graphics cards will be an even better value after the 600 cards are released.

Perhaps it won't be the best approach for everyone but it should be worth consideration for someone on a budget building their own system. If you can pick up the MB and CPU for under $500, just upgrade both of them at the same time years later. There are advantages to haveing more RAM, cores, PCI lanes, and upgrading both the MB and CPU at the same time. 

BTW I'm using an Antec liquid cooler that I really like, but I installed it myself and if the right air cooler would have been just as effective, so that would be way down the list of priorities. 

I managed to overclock to 4.0 but would be lerry of some of these 4.5 overclocks.

It's nice having a system that is rock solid. Once you narrow down some of your optoins make sure to ask more specific questions as to it's reliability or shortcomings.

I'm just saying to keep your options open depening on budget and workflow. 

• 21. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                  RjL190365 Level 4

To be exact, that's the forthcoming LGA 2011 SB-E platform. No LGA 2011 CPU or motherboard has integrated or onboard graphics; all LGA 2011 SB-E systems require a discrete graphics card just to even work at all. Unfortunately, the practical entry point to this platform will be expensive: Most motherboards with more than four DIMM slots are expected to cost $400 to $500 (while most $300 motherboards will have only four DIMM slots), while the least expensive worthwhile LGA 2011 CPU will cost close to $600 (the least expensive CPU, the i7-3820, will actually deliver less (performance-wise) than the recently introduced LGA 1155 i7-2700K for the price that the i7-3820 sells for). That makes the total price of the least expensive worthwhile LGA 2011 CPU/motherboard combo $1,000 or more. And that does not include the RAM, graphics card, drives or any other necessary components or software.

By the way, hard drive prices are spiking upwards due to the flooding in Thailand (where some of the hard drives were manufactured). As recently as a month ago, a 1TB WD Black SATA 6.0 Gbps sold for about $80. Now, it costs a whopping $140.

• 22. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                    RjL190365 Level 4

Islanders66,

Don't count on price drops for any obsolete Intel platform any time soon. If history is any indication, the old LGA 775 Core 2 Quad remained expensive ($300 for some Core 2 Quads) after the LGA 1156 platform shipped into resellers, while the LGA 1156 parts in turn remained at their high original price even after Sandy Bridge shipped. As such, the only price drops that are expected on obsolesced parts would be from individual resellers that are blowing (clearing) out old stock.

• 23. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                      Alan Craven Level 4

RJL,

Unfortunately your US $ prices tend to convert to UK £s at a near 1:1 ratio!  If I go to the bank $1 converts to around £0.60 though!  Yes it will be an expensive upgrade, but my new system will still come out a LOT cheaper than Harm's Spyker F1 style system!  Not THAT much slower though, I hope.

• 24. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                        Islanders66 Level 1

Thats exactly what i meant. Retailers dropping price. Which is why i said keep ypur eyes out for. Severl months ago there were some vety good deals on 970 on amazon. It will also be interesting how well the new cpu test on ppbm. I'm more interested the cost performance value.

• 25. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                          RjL190365 Level 4

Alan,

That makes that "$600" i7-3930K the equivalent of nearly $1,000 USD in the UK. (For that matter, the i7-2600K costs the equivalent of about $500 USD in the UK.) Remember, most European countries have high tariffs (as much as 25 percent) on products that are distributed by U.S.-based companies. Add to the tariff the cost to import and the additional charges, and you'll find that products that are distributed by U.S.-based corporations relatively expensive.

By the way, Harm's system did cost the equivalent of about $4,000 USD when he built it.

• 26. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                            Yiu-kun Level 1

Islanders66, I actually won't be buying my system until August next year. I'm simply laying out a budget plan. By this time next year, the Ivy Bridge CPUs and motherboards will be well past teething stage and will be (hopefully) relatively affordable.

Alan Craven, I've managed to look up the parts and build this system:

Logitech G110 Keyboard (Doing it for the macro keys - editing will be so much quicker) - 57 pounds

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z Motherboard - 315 pounds

300Mb/s Wireless LAN (considering dumping this item as it's only 17 pounds)

Corsair H100 CPU Water cooler + 2 Extra fans - 115 pounds

16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue RAM (DDR3 1600MHz dual/quad channel - quad channel compatible with new Ivybridge systems) - 100 pounds

OCZ 850w 80 plus gold PSU - 100 pounds

Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe Sound card - 180 pounds

i7 2700k - 275 pounds

MSI GTX 580 3GB Lightning Xtreme Edition (comes with Batman Arkham City, oh joy) - 500 pounds

with delivery being approximately 15 pounds for the lot, the price for these parts comes in at 1632 pounds, rounded up to the nearest pound.

I already have a case, Studio Monitors, BluRay drive and 4 disc drives and I'm undecided about a monitor.

Case: Cooler Master 690 II - 80 pounds approx (bought in Feb)

Monitors: M-Audio AV-40 - 100-150 pounds approx (bought very recently)

BRD: Pioneer x6 ROM - 40 pounds approx (bought in Feb)

Disc drives:

OCZ Agility 3 120GB - 140 pounds

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB - bought for 60 USD while on holiday

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green SATA 2 - 60 pounds

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black SATA 3 - 115-140 pounds

If you'd like any information on where I'm getting the parts at this pricerange, give me a private message!

• 27. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                              Alan Craven Level 4

Yiu-kun,

Thanks for the offer, but I am an experienced system builder, and your system is an example of what I am trying to avoid.  Which is why I am delaying my upgrade until Sandy Bridge-E is available!  Then, of course, there is Ivybridge a-coming.

In any case, my usual supplier can supply your motherboard at £294, and your processor at £258.

• 28. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                                Yiu-kun Level 1

Alan,

That's fine, I was simply giving prices for recent searches I had done. It's only a blueprint for a budget I've set for the PC I'm building. I too am waiting for SBE/IB and the 2011 socket.

The prices I provided are also up to the minute: a few days/weeks ago the Maximus was only £300 and the i7 2700k at...wait a minute, that's the retail edition. The OEM edition for the i7 2700k is only £252.

Would you happen to supply from Overclockers.co.uk? ;D

• 29. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?

Someone asked about cost.  I'm in New Zealand, and we use this site for best prices

http://pricespy.co.nz/

I had costed my build at just short of NZ$2000 including labour and the Windows 7 update, but using my current box and PSU.    I actually think that is quite a bargain considering how much time I spend sat in front of my computer.  I have spent up wards of NZ$4000 on software in the last year or so (Photoshop, inDesign and Premiere Pro - all CS5, and Office 2010).  so it makes sense to make the most of that software.  It also pales into insignificance compared to what I spend on photographic equipment.

[Edit]

Hey, I have just remembered that I have a huge AOpen system box with a bunch of fans from an old system that I never threw away or sold.  It has six full size bays, and two 3.5" bays, but it was a noisy box so I'd need to change the fans. (Like the case below but with two more full size bays.  It's 24 inches high.)

http://www.dansdata.com/images/h600a/h600a220.jpg

• 30. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                                    Yiu-kun Level 1

Nice site there Trevor. If it were free delivery to the UK it'd be worth even my purchase!

Over here we just have to look manually...and by manually, that's pretty much Google Shopping.

• 31. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                                      Alan Craven Level 4

RjL,

The rumour mill in the UK went into overdrive late Wednesday.  In the UK, Asus are initially marketing four X79 motherboards ranging in probable pricing from around £200 for the usual Pro version to well over £300 for a full-blown Maximus.  All four will have 8 memory slots.  There are photographs of the four in various places.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1757/1/

The P9X79 Deluxe looks like being the one to go for.  It appears to have 4 PCIe 16x slots and 2 PCIe 1x, but no PCI.  It should also have an Asus proprietary version of the SSD caching on 2 of the 8 SATA ports.

• 32. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?

That looks seriously exciting.  Will they run i7 2700K?

Hah!  You can OC them via a smart phone or tablet (using Bluetooth).

• 33. Re: Is this a Good Time for a System Upgrade?
                                                                          RjL190365 Level 4

No. The i7-2700K is not compatible with any X79 board: The i7-2700K needs an LGA 1155 board (P67 or Z68) while the X79 boards require an LGA 2011 CPU (the three that will be available are the "locked" i7-3820 quad-core and two "unlocked" hexa-cores - the i7-3930K and the i7-3960X). Unfortunately, the least expensive worthwhile LGA 2011 CPU (i7-3930K) will cost nearly twice as much money as the i7-2700K.