3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 11:22 PM by Harm Millaard

New editing system. *Questions and Advice*

Yiu-kun

Hi all, I'll be building a new system in a little while, and I wanted some advice and pointers for where I'm going with it.

Intel i7 2700k @ 5GHz

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Z68

Asus Nvidia GTX 590 GPU

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel (Quad channel only supported by Ivy Bridge & Z68 w/ IB processor)

Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe APU

OCZ Z Series 850w '80 Plus Gold' PSU (May upgrade to 1050w)

120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD (OS)

1.5TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (Files)

2TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD (Files)

2TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD (Files)

No RAID at all for the moment.

In regards to GPU, I've read that the Adobe Creative Suite can only utilize one physical processor on the GTX 590, however, I also plan on using this machine for gaming.

Unless Adobe CS5.5 would benefit more from 2 GTX 580s in SLI, I will be sticking to the GTX 590 (cheaper than two GTX 580s).

I'll be doing motion graphics in After Effects, editing in Premiere, audio editing in Audition, image editing in Photoshop, 3D work in Maya, and of course, gaming.

I will be rendering videos to loosley compressed BluRay MPGs and compressing them with x264 on a separate piece of software, possibly in a farm.

I need the GPU for rendering, not compressing (wouldn't the CPU be the one to compress the rendered video anyway?).

How well would the GTX 590 be supported? I would get a Quadro 6000 if I could afford it, but the price differences between the GTX 590 and even the Quadro 5000 are rather large.

Thanks in advance to any helpful answers!

P.S.

This system won't be bought until August 2012, thus the CPU may change to the Ivy Bridge equivilent, making the quad-channel RAM more worth it.

I would also like to stick more RAM into the system, but the Maximus IV Extreme-Z only supports 4 DIMMs.

Any recommendations here?