4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2011 9:26 AM by ma7314

Task Plane has Disappeared in Premier Elements 8

ma7314

I was working on one of my projects the other day when all of a sudden, my laptop would shut off while in PE8 and it did this several times.  Then after about the 4th or 5th time, the task panel disappeared and I can't get it back.  I have this issue in both existing projects and when I open new projects.  I have unistalled and reinstalled several times.  I've also did a system restore to a time before I installed it on my pc.  I have gone through all the documents and found nothing about the task panel disappearing.  Clicking on Windows/Restore Workspace does not work.  Infact, noting under Windows works.  I am on Windows 7 Home Premium.  Not sure what other information is needed. Here is a screenshot of my workspace.

workplane.JPG

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

• 1. Re: Task Plane has Disappeared in Premier Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would recommend you contact Adobe Tech Support. Youv'e got something very wrong going on there. Tasks is the one workspace you can't undock from the interface!

The only thing I can see is that your monitor resolution is a bit low for working with this program. I always recommend using a monitor setting of at least 1280x1024. Smaller than that, and many of the workspaces are truncated. Some people can do it -- especially on a laptop, where you don't have a lot of options. But it can lead to problems like this.

What resolution is your monitor set for?

Also, go to the nVidia or ATI web sites and ensure you have the latest driver set for your graphics card. Outdated graphics drivers can cause more funky behavior than you might think!

• 2. Re: Task Plane has Disappeared in Premier Elements 8
            ma7314 Level 1

Thanks for your quick response Steve.

My drivers are up to date.  I forgot to mention that I had attempted that one as well.  My resolution is already set at 1366x768.  I will contact tech support.  I will post the resolution here once I get it fixed incase anyone else has this issue in the future.

Michael

• 3. Re: Task Plane has Disappeared in Premier Elements 8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If your computer is shutting down, then you have a major issue. I would take a look at this ARTICLE, and follow the various links in it. Before you address any issue with PrE, I would clear up the computer problem first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Task Plane has Disappeared in Premier Elements 8
                ma7314 Level 1

Doing a system restore fixed the problem with my pc shutting down.  This has not happened since then.

I did figure out that the problem was with the project I was currently working on because when I moved it to another pc that had a working copy of Premiere Elements 8, the problem moved with it.

The problem was only affecting PE8 because the other pc has both ver 7 & 8 on it and when I opened the project in ver 7, the task plane was there.  I'm usually pretty good at troublshooting computer issues but since the problem moved to any new project created, I was tricked into thinking it was a bigger problem that it actually was.

Here is how I resolved my problem:

• Unistalled PE8
                • Deleted the project that I was working on when the issue started
                • Searched and deleted all files and folders that had the name, "Premeire Elements" in it.  I was surprised to find that even though you unistall the program, it does not remove all files it uses
                • Reinstalled PE8 and created a new project

I was good to go after that.  It sucks that I had to start the project over again but in the long run, it ened up being a better version than the first one.

Thanks for all your advice and I hope this discussion will help anyone in the future that may have this happen to them.

Mcihael