4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 2:16 PM by BobLevine

Can CS3 workspaces be transferred for use in CS5?

KS_Coastal Level 1

I see them as being named and stored in the preferences and presets locations differently in CS5 than CS3 - suggesting they can not be - however, I have been told repeatedly by internal tech support and collegues that they can. I have rebuilt mine and have no issues, though others in my group insist that they want to use the ones already created in CS3 (Our panels are very involved). Possible? - and if so, how? I find nothing documented online.

• 1. Re: Can CS3 workspaces be transferred for use in CS5?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That would likely cause some trouble but I would think any trouble would be easily fixed by deleting those XML file from the workspace folder.

Bob

• 2. Re: Can CS3 workspaces be transferred for use in CS5?
            KS_Coastal Level 1

Thanks Bob - I'll start there. It appears that CS5 is referencing the preferences folder instead of the workspace preset whereas CS3 is (was) referencing either both or the preset. I'll post my findings.

Message was edited by: KS_Coastal Here is what I see - Can't use the XML workspace. It appears that it (the XML) is writtenin a different manner than CS5. To test, I created three workspaces in CS5 and opened the files to compare to the XML of three that were created in CS3. They were very different (consistently) between the two. If I can dig further, I'll give more precise detail. (But I'm really swamped right now!!) Even trying to tweek the existing ones cause a bit of fury as it seems you have to locate the CS3 workspace into the preset (CS5 won't recognize CS3 workspace in the preferences) tweek it, and then save it out as a new name. Then you have to switch the workspace, for preferences to generate the _CurrentWorkspace file and delete the workspace you have in your preset. It's cumbersome and tricky... If you switch to another workspace, and to return to the one you tweeked gives you MAYBE one 1 in 6 accuracy. (That's all I had time to test). I am wide open to trying anything else, but find the time is better spent recreating the complex workspaces.

• 3. Re: Can CS3 workspaces be transferred for use in CS5?
              KS_Coastal Level 1

Here is what I see - Can't use the XML workspace. It appears that it (the XML) is writtenin a different manner than CS5. To test, I created three workspaces in CS5 and opened the files to compare to the XML of three that were created in CS3. They were very different (consistently) between the two. If I can dig further, I'll give more precise detail. (But I'm really swamped right now!!)

Even trying to tweek the existing ones cause a bit of fury as it seems you have to locate the CS3 workspace into the preset (CS5 won't recognize CS3 workspace in the preferences) tweek it, and then save it out as a new name. Then you have to switch the workspace, for preferences to generate the _CurrentWorkspace file and delete the workspace you have in your preset. It's cumbersome and tricky... If you switch to another workspace, and to return to the one you tweeked gives you MAYBE one 1 in 6 accuracy. (That's all I had time to test).

I am wide open to trying anything else, but find the time is better spent recxreating the

• 4. Re: Can CS3 workspaces be transferred for use in CS5?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I think you’ve answered your own question.

Bob