15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2011 12:22 PM by Nikkokick

Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?

Nikkokick

Hello!

I'm currently running a GTX 460 which I have enabled to work with GPU Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere Pro.

Now my question is. I won a GTX 580 in a competition but I'm no gamer so I have no use in using this powerful graphics card.

So my question is now, will there be any difference using my current GTX 460 and GTX 580? Is the difference worth GTX 580's price?

If not, I'm planning on selling it.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

There might be a few benefits:

1. Possibly lower power consumption = less heat = more stability
          2. It might have more RAM, which can be helpful when working with large images
          3. It's an officially-supported GPU for hardware MPE, so you're "guaranteed" (inasmuch as that is worth) of a modicum of stability and performance
          4. I think it has more CUDA cores than the GTX 460, so it should be a bit more capable

Some of the propellerheads here might have a bit more scientific evidence of whether it's worth it or not, but personally, I'd go for it. If you want to sell it, I've got a ten-spot for you

• 2. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
            Nikkokick Level 1

Hello!

Thanks for your answer.

The GTX 580 has the double ammount of VRAM compared to my GTX 460.

According to that, my GTX 460 only has 768MB VRAM, but I can still use it with Mercury Playback Engine. How is this?

People have said that your graphics card MUST have 896MB of VRAM, I have less and can still use it?

And this I'm sure of, because I rendered a movie in 3minutes with software, but when I enabled hardware my rending of the same project was 11 seconds.

About CUDA:

GTX 460 has 336 CUDA cores.

GTX 580 has 512 CUDA cores.

Check this out, a test:

Video Card# of Cuda CoresMPE Hardware
            Minutes & Seconds
            MPE Software
            Minutes & Seconds
            GT-240965:4140:12
            GT-440965:3740:12
            GTX-4704485:3440:12
            GTX-5451445:3740:12
            GTX-550 Ti1925:3540:12
            GTX-5704805:2940:12

Doesnt really feel like its worth the money? I will get like maximum 1% performance boost for 450€

• 3. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The main difference with the greater VRAM is that the CUDA processing can work on larger images. With only 768MB VRAM, you won't be able to use CUDA processing at all for still images that come from mamy common cameras. This article goes into the details about that.

• 4. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Personally I would hold off from upgrading a 4xx card to a 5xx card. The performance gain is just too small to justify the cost. I have a 480 and will not consider upgrading to the 580, but wait for the 680.

In your case I would offer both on eBay or other market places and see where you get the best offer. You will be hard pressed to notice a performance difference.

• 5. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                  Nikkokick Level 1

I never work with still images, so maybe this isn't a issue for me?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                    Nikkokick Level 1

Yes I thought so too thank you.

A 1% performance gain isn't worth it, but do you really think it will improve with the new 6-series? I mean, according to the test it differs 12 second on a 5.41minute videoclip (a performance gain by 4%) between a card with 96 CUDA cores and a card with 480 CUDA cores.

It almost feels like CUDA makes a difference yes, but it doesnt matter if you have 96 CUDA or 480 CUDA, the results will be pretty much the same. How can this be? Seems pretty strange.

• 7. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                      Dave Knarr Level 1

If you go back to the article where the chart came from and read just a little farther down it says"

"Explaining the Test Results
                      Let me make this very clear, Adobe Premiere uses ALL of the CUDA cores on the video card.

So you are probably wondering what's going on with the results?  When you look at the GT240, which only has 96 CUDA cores and the GTX570 has 480 CUDA cores.  Clearly the GTX570 is a much more powerful video card and should blow away the GT240.  Technically, you would be correct in that assumption.

However, the video card's GPU is out running the rest of the computer, causing the GPU to have to wait for the data from the rest of the computer.  This is why there is not much of a speed difference in the benchmark tests we ran.

If you look at the second Benchmark, you will see the GT240 video card with 96 CUDA cores took 5 minutes and 41 seconds to render the timeline, while the GTX570 with 480 CUDA cores took 5 minutes and 29 seconds to render the same timeline.  The GTX570 was 12 seconds faster because of the faster GPU, wider memory bandwidth and the more CUDA cores."

Dave

(The guy who wrote the article, ran the tests and came up with the chart)

• 8. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                        Nikkokick Level 1

Hi Dave!

Thank you for replying!

Yes, I understand what you wrote and I've already red it on your site

But, it doesnt seem worth to spend the money on a GTX 580 to get a few seconds of faster rendering.

It's strange that the difference can be so small!

Seems like you'll get a massive boost and be happy with the results even tho you chose a low end Nvidia Card

Thanks

• 9. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                          Darren Kelly

The 580 has more CUDA cores. It also has 2 processors.

As I understand it, PPCS5.5.1 only sees one processor, and as I understand it it only works with a maximum of 96 CUDA cores.

I say sell the new card. Spend it to upgrade to 5.5.1 if you haven't already, or buy more RAM, or put the money in the bank, and you've paid for a trip to NAB in 2012

My 2 cents

D

• 10. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I understand it it only works with a maximum of 96 CUDA cores.

That is not correct.

• 11. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                              Darren Kelly Level 1

I stand corrected. How about enlightening us as to how many cores does it max out at Todd?

• 12. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There is no maximum.

People tend to not see an increase in performance with more CUDA cores because the CUDA processors aren't the bottleneck.

• 13. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                                  Darren Kelly Level 1

What is the bottleneck then?

What makes the  most bang for the buck?

• 14. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> What is the bottleneck then?

That question has an extremely involved answer that differs with every detail of your computer, your project, your footage, and how you have everything set up. See this to learn about performance and what affects it:

http://adobe.ly/AE_PR_performance

• 15. Re: Worth upgrading from a GTX 460?
                                      Nikkokick Level 1

Hi.

Actually GTX 580 only has one Processor. It's the GTX 590 that has two processors running in SLI.

GTX 580 is the most powerful single graphicscards in the GTX and Radeon family.

And I sold the GPU and bought myself a Canon EOS 550D, so I can continue my movie production!

Thanks