7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 1:00 PM by kellir-nd

Imported Pagemaker document into ID CS4: text threads messed up!

kellir-nd

I've imported hundreds of Pagemaker documents into ID CS4 in the past few years and never ran into this problem before.

My Pagemaker document is basically an 80 page book of listings/contact information for several businesses. Per section, they are all one text box, dumped into 4 columns per page, each text box autoflows to the next column. You get the picture.

However, when I imported into ID, the text threads have reassigned themselves as to where they autoflow next. For example: one page, with 4 columns, one text box, should start in the left column, autoflowing to column 2, then 3, then 4, but it's now starting at column one, jumping to column 3, then back to 2, then 4.

If I copy the text and dump it into a text editor, it seems to copy the text in the correct order... making this even more confusing!

There were 2 pages that were a special layout, but also one text box autoflowing to the next page. The text on these 2 pages actually flipped itself around, and assigned what was supposed to be page 1 to the page 2 position, and vice versa.

How can I fix this? My first thought is to break the links and just relink per section to get the threads to be right, but why is the text copying correctly into a text editor?

• 1. Re: Imported Pagemaker document into ID CS4: text threads messed up!
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My first thought, as a fellow frequent importer of PM docs into CS4, is this: "Why don't you do a diagnostic recompose?" Do you remember that trick?

• 2. Re: Imported Pagemaker document into ID CS4: text threads messed up!
            kellir-nd Level 1

I don't know that trick! Please share. Something you do in ID, or in PM?

Also, as I looked even more, the text boxes everywhere are in fact out of place, but the links do point to the correct "next" box, hence why when I copy & paste the text it's in the correct order.

Don't understand why it rearranged all the text boxes! This is a monumental task making sure I have all those text boxes in order. Yikes!

Hoping your trick will help!

• 3. Re: Imported Pagemaker document into ID CS4: text threads messed up!

Well, I don't know whether it's a perfectly fine PM doc that is being munged somehow at import, or if perhaps there is something a little bit wrong with the Pagemaker file itself. I don't know if it will help, but the diagnostic recomposition is the first thing I'd try. It's a trick in PageMaker:

Repairing Damaged Publications

You can do a Diagnostic recompose if you follow these steps:

1. Make sure your computer's sound is turned on, since the results of the diagnostic recompose are indicated by your computer beeping.

2. To play it safe, make a backup copy of the publication and work on the backup copy.

3. Select the Pointer tool and make sure you have nothing on the page selected.

4. Hold the Shift and Ctrl keys and choose Type>Hyphenation. Depending on the status of your publication, when the diagnostic recompose routines are finished, you hear the following number of beeps:

• One Beep: The re-composition was successful and the publication needs no repair.

• Two Beeps: One or more minor problems were repaired.

• Three Beeps: This means that problems were found and PageMaker couldn’t repair them. There’s a chance you are getting three beeps because you’re low on RAM and PageMaker couldn’t complete the diagnostics due to insufficient memory.

• 4. Re: Imported Pagemaker document into ID CS4: text threads messed up!
                kellir-nd Level 1

Tried the repair process, and one beep came immediately, indicating no repair needed. I was pretty sure the file was very sound: it's a publication I do each year, I just haven't had the time or the guts to move this one over to InDesign  since I had a feeling I would be toiling over the text listings being messed up. It's very, very, very important these listings are not rearranged!

Still searching for an answer. Can't believe I can't find anything about text boxes rearranging themselves in InDesign after importing from Pagemaker. I can't be the only one, can I?

• 5. Re: Imported Pagemaker document into ID CS4: text threads messed up!

I've only seen something vaguely like this happen once, over years of work and thousands of imported PM docs. And it obviously wasn't caused by whatever is causing your issue, because a diagnostic recompose fixed it for me.

My gut feeling is that, since the text flow is maintained, that it might sadly be time-effective to manually drag hundreds (thousands?) of boxes into their correct locations. Or you could try to make changes to a copy of the PM file to see if you could track down what was munging the import. I like the divide-and-conquer method; can you import a single page of the old PM file without it moving stuff around? How about the first 40 pages? The first 20 pages? Is there anything unusual about the positioning of the text boxes in PM? Was the file built by a human, or did some kind of 20th-century database-driven publishing workflow generate this doc?

• 6. Re: Imported Pagemaker document into ID CS4: text threads messed up!
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the text is in the correct order in the threads, perhaps it makes more sense to export each story as tagged text and import that into a fresh ID doc?

• 7. Re: Imported Pagemaker document into ID CS4: text threads messed up!
                      kellir-nd Level 1

Document was created by a human by the way

Good news, I've discovered the answer to the problem! Apparently if you import a PM document into ID and the PM document had "Facing Pages" selected, it for some reason rearranges the text boxes as it sees fit!

Once I went back to the PM document and unselected "Facing Pages," resaved, imported into ID again, all text boxes were in the right order.

Problem solved I guess! But thank you for all the suggestions!

1 person found this helpful