7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 12:00 PM by Macman7

Timing off.

Macman7 Level 1

I am extremely new to AE, and know very little about video. I was given a job of adding some info to a video which I was able to find tuts for. Finally finished it and need to export it.

Background of project:

The original video was an HD .wmv file that is 1920 x 1080.

I added this movie to a new composition. I created it at 1280 x 720 (which is still a reduced aspect ratio of the 1920x1080 or 16:9 or 1.78.) It is set up as square pixels.

The frame rate of the original is 29.96 (this is what Quicktime inspector says).

My composition is 29.97.

When I added new layers to add the text the client wanted, I added it for those particular frames (time) the text should appear on the stage. When I scrub through or preview in AE, all works wonderful. It is simple text with a simple fade in/fade out. Problem comes when I render. The final .mov file won't show the added text until 3 or 4 seconds after it was intended (placed on the stage, so essentially later than it should). This happens to all of my additions.

I don't know enough to troubleshoot anymore than I already have. It seems silly to place the text 3-4 seconds on the stage prior to when I actually want it to appear, because then I'm guessing with the intro/outro of that text with relation to the movie.

• 1. Re: Timing off.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First of all make sure that you're setting the render cue up correctly. I've never had a project that came out a different length of frames than the composition.

Make sure that you understand rendering the work area vs rendering the entire comp. Make sure you understand what the codecs are that you are using and what purpose they serve. If you rendered to an uncompressed mov file it's entirely possible, in fact very likely, that the file won't playback in real time because uncompressed formats are production pipeline formats not delivery formats.

Have you gone through the Getting Started docs? If no do so now.

• 2. Re: Timing off.
            Macman7 Level 1

Sorry, but that's kind of why I'm asking, because I don't know. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I am really looking for a more specific answer if that's possible, just trying to complete this project in time... I can give more information if that helps? I need to complete the project soon and internal client isn't giving enough time to do a whole lot of research on how to understand the program.

As stated, I am completely new to this program and was forced to do something in this program without any prior experience or training and am muddling my way through it just to get the client what they need. I don't know if I am setting up the render cue correctly. I don't know the difference between rendering the work area vs the comp, or what all the codecs mean.

My render settings, I've played with, and I still get the same problem. I've tried rendering and exporting. Same problem. All I've done is taken the original video and adding two text layers that animate in and out and have a duration of roughly 3-5 seconds. And one image layer, same effect.

When I play the outputted render .mov file, the actual images come in at the right time on the QuickTime scrub menu, but it seems as if the movie (the original I added to the stage) is the culprit.

I've tried multiple render settings and nothing seems to work. I've adjusted frame rate (which I originally left to be the same as the original...makes sense)...

I'm checking out the docs, but there are lots and lots of movies.

Any more help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• 3. Re: Timing off.

So I take it that if you scrub through the file the text comes in at the right time but the movie doesn't playback smoothly or at the right time. The problem wouldn't be frame rate but it would be data rate.

Where did you get the original video? What are your machine specifications? What are the settings in the Render Cue Output Module?

• 4. Re: Timing off.
                Macman7 Level 1

Yes, that is correct. I have been playing with render options and other options like that and was able to get it to come close, so yes, it is scrubbing just fine, but the final output is "off".

How do I change (or match) data rate?

The original video came from a outside agency. I was tasked with "customizing" it by adding a few lines of text for a particular distributor in some areas of the video that would easily show the text over flat portions of color. They formatted the video in 3 output types (not sure what the original software used was to create it)... I choose the HD version (for best clarity). It is a .wmv file. (the other one is also a .wmv file, but lower, and the third is a lo-res .flv).

Here's what the format states from the QuickTime inspector: Windows Media Video 9 Standard, 1920 x 1080, Millions. Windows Media Audio 9 Professional, Stereo 44.100 kHz. FPS 29.96. Data Size: 219.7 MB. Data rate: 11.18 Mbits/s.

My machine is a 2x2.4 Ghz Quad-Core Intel with 32GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ram. I am using CS4 (still).

The composition settings are: HDV/HDTV 720 29.97. Width 1280px x 720px (still 16.9 aspect ratio of 1920x1080). Pixel aspect ration is square. Frame Rate is 29.97. Resolution: Full (1280x720, 3.5 MB per 8bpc fram) and the duration is 2;37;00.

The render settings I was using are: Quality:Best, Resolution:Full, Size 1280x720. Time span: Length of comp (used this after trying work area). Frame rate 29.97.

Format: Quicktime Movie, Audio: 48.000.

Hope that's enough. If I'm missing anything, let me know and I'll provide it.

The render output I originally was using is:

• 5. Re: Timing off.
                  Macman7 Level 1

Hopefully someone can help. I am dire need of something here. I've been searching the Web and help docs as much as I can and can't seem to find the info. The client is asking for soon. I guess the last thing I can do is "fake tweak" it so that I am guessing about when I think the two rates will match and when they should fall in the timeline and for how long, but that seems like a guessing game and a waste of time.

• 6. Re: Timing off.

There is no need for a tweak. If the timing is on in the composition it's on in the render. It's only the playback that you're having problems with.

Step by step.

1. Drag your source video into the create new comp icon in the Project Panel.

2. Add and animate your text setting the in points and out points where you want them.

3. Add the composition to the render Cue.

4. Pick a suitable output module setting. I'd suggest Lossless making sure that you enable audio.

5. Ask the client what format they want the movie in. Where is it going to be used?

6. If you are putting it on the web and it's supposed to be HD add the rendered video file to the Adobe Media Encoder and select H264 and YouTube HD preset.

7. If it's some other fornat that the client needs, use the appropriate setting in the AME. It's probably there.

That should do it. There should never be timing issues. AE is incapable on changing timing of layers in a composition when rendering. If an in point for a layer is at frame 40, it will be at frame 40 when rendered unless you force the output module to use a different frame rate.

Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 10.18.29 AM.png

• 7. Re: Timing off.
                      Macman7 Level 1

I basically began over from scratch and for some reason, that worked. I guess we may never know why the first file went haywire.

Thanks.