8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 8:39 AM by prescovidprod

Repousse and After Effects Integration

prescovidprod Level 1

Once you import a some extruded text from repousse in Photoshop Extended into After Effects, how in the world are you supposed to animate and retain its 3d qualities with other compositions and layers? I can animate it on its own, but there is no way to match the movement with other parts. If you drag the composition that has the repousse element (that moves with all 3d qualities intact) into any other composition, it doesn't seem to integrate with the other elements. If you hit the 3D button in AE, it goes flat...

What is the point of being able to import 3D anything into after effects if you cant animate it in context with anything else?

• 1. Re: Repousse and After Effects Integration
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This is an extremely limited feature. Personally, I wouldn't recommend wasting much time with it.

There's a video linked to from this page that gives the basics:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/04/repousse-in-after-effects-cs5.html

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Repousse and After Effects Integration
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What is the point of being able to import 3D anything into after effects if you cant animate it in context with anything else?

There is no point. It's just a hack because someone wanted to add another bullet point on the "new features" list for marketing. Calling it "limited" as Todd did is putting it mildly....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Repousse and After Effects Integration
              prescovidprod Level 1

Well, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Unfortunately it's too late for "I wouldn't recommend wasting much time with it."

I was really psyched that there might have been a "decent" tool to model type with, because I don't have a good modeling app like C4D, 3DS, or Maya...yet. Just wanted to make some dimensional type, with good materials, that I could incorporate into AE.

Very disappointing.

You would think that with so many great apps that have become industry standard, Adobe wouldn't put something as inferior as this in their products. Not a good reflection on the brand, in my humble opinion.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Repousse and After Effects Integration
                prescovidprod Level 1

And Todd, thanks for the link.

We subscribe to Lynda.com and I watched that one. No wonder he didn't go into much detail about it...LOL...

I love Lynda.com for many reasons, but I have to say that I stumbled on Andrew Kramer's www.videocopilot.com the other day.

He is by far the best for tutorials.

Cuts to the chase. His tutorials are made with examples that you might actually use in the real world, instead of simply teaching how the tool works...

• 5. Re: Repousse and After Effects Integration
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I think that your characterization of Andrew's tutorials are somewhat unfair. He does a good job of showing how to put pieces together, and other people (like Chris & Trish Meyer on Lynda.com) do an excellent job of telling how the pieces work. You need both.

Regarding Repousse: It's a feature in Photoshop that we tried to make work in After Effects, but it falls short of what we want. But it does serve some people, so it's more useful to have it in than to not have it in. We are working on making this general area of the application much better in the near future.

• 6. Re: Repousse and After Effects Integration
                    prescovidprod Level 1

Todd, don't get me wrong, i have learned a good bit from Lynda.com. I said I love it.

It is simply my personal feeling that Kramer's video's DO cover both, in a very succint, and meaningful way, without watching hours of fluff at 2X the speed to get to the beef of the info faster. And his tutorials are FREE.

That is not to say i don't think Lynda.com is worth it. I do. It is a great bargain for the volume of stuff they cover.

For me, I like Kramer's the best and think he has raised the bar on tutorials. And I think the industry should take note.

For example, Kramer made an orb in about 30 seconds in 3DS as part of a larger tutorial. In that short time he didn't specifically address each thing he did in minute detail, but if you use your head, you very obviously pick up how the tool functions, without spending a boatload of time on it. All while making a cool example.

And that is why I love his site. The way he teaches saves time.

Maybe others prefer it differently.

But it was very effective to me.

I would still recommend Adobe or Lynda to anyone.

But volume and extraineous detail, and especially components that are hyped to be much more than they are, do not necessarily add value and wreak of companies getting too focused on managing the scale their business, offering products before they are ready because of some managers personal schedule and career goals vs. meaningful innovation, that ultimately brings in the $$$, and builds brand loyalties over time.

Volume does not equal Value. Less is more if it is done in the best way that it can be done.

• 7. Re: Repousse and After Effects Integration
                      bogiesan Level 4

> (insert name of any valuable forum contributor here), don't get me wrong, <

Happens all the time around here but usually it's the poster who fails to grasp the gravity of the advice and information offered by the experienced and sometimes impatiently sracstic participants.

bogiesan

• 8. Re: Repousse and After Effects Integration
                        prescovidprod Level 1

I'm failing to grasp the gravity of your advice...LOL...