8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 1:34 PM by Dvico

How can I export m2ts footage with 5.1 audio in PP CS5.5?

Dvico Level 1

Dear All!

I have a 90 minutes project which made from 4 sequence. Sequence settings are the followings : AVCHD 1080p 25fps square pixels , 5.1 channel master audio.

I made the sequences from avchd file-s, which recorded with Sony HDR-CX700V with AVCHD 1080p 25fps and Dolby digital 5.1 sound.

Right now I finished the project with lots of effects and imported After effects compositions, and I cannot find any setting to create 5.1 sound.

I have Mainconcept codec suite, but this offer m2ts 1440*1080i settings only.( And I cannot configure the mainconcept codec settings.)

Do you have any idea how can I export the project without any degradation, and with 5.1 audio? The original footages recorded with this properties : H264/AVC - top field first - 22.000 Mbit/sec.

And I use in the project some 720p H264/AVC - progressive - 8.001 Mbit/sec videos.

Please help! Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: How can I export m2ts footage with 5.1 audio in PP CS5.5?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Without any degradation means a lossless file, such as Uncompressed, or using the Lagarith or UT codecs.  It also means relatively large files.  That's probably not what you want.

The audio is something of a separate issue.  To export 5.1 audio you need the SureCode plug-in.  Off the shelf, PP can encode stereo Dolby Digital only.  (I think you still get 3 free trial uses of the SureCode encoder, but after that, you'll have to have some form of plug-in to get 5.1 audio.)

• 2. Re: How can I export m2ts footage with 5.1 audio in PP CS5.5?
            Dvico Level 1

Hi Jim!

W/o degradation I mean the same quality like the original native files (m2ts 1080p 22Mbps).Not necessery a lossless file ( like avi ), just give a good quality thats why I think to set m2ts avchd.

What do you think what is the best export setting for me whit this project settings?Also important the rendering time cause its 90-100 minutes long project, and I dont want to render more than a day.

Yes I have surcode plug-in but maybe this offer a limited long project in trial use.And I dont know another plugin for 5.1 audio.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: How can I export m2ts footage with 5.1 audio in PP CS5.5?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

You have to consider a couple of things. Mixing 1080 and 720 material is best done in a 720 sequence, because uprezzing will seriously deteriorate quality, unless you accept black borders. That also means exporting a 720 format as maximum, unless again you accept serious quality loss. Whatever the resolution you choose, exporting AVCHD material to anything else than uncompressed, Lagarith or UT will entail a generation loss and thus quality loss. The best export settings are dependent on your delivery medium. DVD, BD or web.

Since you are working in a 1080 sequence, the quality loss of uprezzed 720 material is not a big issue, apparently, so what is the relevancy of 'the same quality' on export when you have already compromised quality?

• 4. Re: How can I export m2ts footage with 5.1 audio in PP CS5.5?
                Dvico Level 1

My delivery medium is a BD disc or mostly media player, so it could be lots of hd format.I know avchd is a compressed format but this quality would be enough for me.

Im not used any other formats so I dont know (or Im not seeing yet differences) them in quality.

Thats why I asked to offer me a best format what gives the same quality in an full hd lcd screen.Im not stick to m2ts, but I would like render with 5.1 audio.And I dont know how...

For case of uprezzing 720p to 1080p for me its not problem cause only the 20% of the project is 720p so this not disturbance me.

• 5. Re: How can I export m2ts footage with 5.1 audio in PP CS5.5?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

If you export elementary streams, one for video and one for 5.1 audio (using the Surcode plug-in) using the H.264-BR preset as a starting point and then use this DVD-HQ  Bitrate & GOP calculator to figure out the best export and bitrate settings for your timeline, you should be OK. That is IMO the surest approach and the best way to maintain the optimal quality you want.

• 6. Re: How can I export m2ts footage with 5.1 audio in PP CS5.5?
                    Dvico Level 1

Ok.I will check this calculator.Thanks.

• 7. Re: How can I export m2ts footage with 5.1 audio in PP CS5.5?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

W/o degradation I mean the same quality like the original native files.  Not necessery a lossless file

Well, it actually is necessarily a lossless file.  Any other option will introduce another layer of compression, and another layer of artifacts.  They may be small enough that most people won't notice, but they're there.  It's important you understand the distinction here.  Without degradation means lossless.  Going to the web or DVD or Blu-ray means compression, and that means degradation to some degree.

• 8. Re: How can I export m2ts footage with 5.1 audio in PP CS5.5?
                        Dvico Level 1

This mean better to use lossless format to render.But still I dont know in Premiere what is the best solution.I filled out DVD-HQ  Bitrate & GOP calculator 

but I see only numbers in the result.Those says nothing for me. (Rate control / GOP structure / GOP limit - Idont know what means in pratice.

Based on described above I have to test all the hd formats which is the best settings for me? h.264 Bluray /MPEG 2 Bluray/ or just simple MPEG2 or H.264 and still there uncompressed AVI ( Im afraid the last one result a really large size).

Thanks.