4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 5:43 AM by BobLevine

Fonts ok on my side, gone on their side...

ShibaguyzDesignz

Alright, I'm about to pull my hair out.  I have packaged a book for a publisher using CS5.  I'm not seeing any errors on my side and have printed the whole document to PDF with no problems.  I FTP the documents over to the publisher and the see the font dropping off on about half of the pages.  This happens in the middle of paragraphs, and at random.  I have checked the paragraph settings, and charater settings and am not seeing any reason for the font to drop off. 

Any ideas you folks have would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Fonts ok on my side, gone on their side...
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you sending the PDF, or a packaged file? What's the OS? Version of ID?

You metioned PRINTING to PDF. Did you set up distiller to embed the fonts? Exporting will automatically embed unrestricted fonts, but distilling will not. Neither will embed a restricted font.

Is there a particular font involved? A particular character class (like small caps, for example)? When we have all the details we may be able to offer some help.

• 2. Re: Fonts ok on my side, gone on their side...
            ShibaguyzDesignz Level 1

Ok, I've done some more digging and here is what I'm seeing.

I'm using Apple OSX.  InDesign CS5.  Should have said that to start with.

In Indesign I have one specific font, Bauer Bodoni Bold Oldstyle Figures that I am using as a row header. (Name: ect.). It is showing on my screen correctly.  It is in the correct paragraph style and is showing in the character formatting controls as Bauer Bodoni...

Now, when I go into Find Font and search for Helvetica, the font used for the text following Bauer (Name: James Givins) it shows the entire row as Helvetica.  This is happening at random.  Some lines are good others are not.

I have tried to manually change the formatting by removing the paragrahph style and changing the font but still not taking the Bauer font. This only shows up when I use "find font".  Otherwise you can't see there is any problem.

I am able to create a PDF without seeing the issue, but after sending the Indesign file to my publisher they get errors and dropped fonts at these locations.

• 3. Re: Fonts ok on my side, gone on their side...
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How are you making the PDF?

Can you show us a screen shot of what you see in ID, the PDF and what you get back from the printer?

• 4. Re: Fonts ok on my side, gone on their side...
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Is everyone fully patched to 7.0.4?

Is everyone on Mac? Is this mixed Win/Mac? Are you using opentype or type 1? I’m not sure type 1 fonts work with the Document Fonts folder feature.

Bob