7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2011 6:26 AM by sk8jeff81

Project with both widescreen and 4:3 clips

sk8jeff81

I just spent a gazillion hours putting together a skateboard video full of 3-4 second clips (the whole video is about 9 minutes long) on my HP Pavilion dv6.  Most of the video was filmed in widescreen on my camcorder, but some of the older video (less than 10 clips) was filmed in regular 4:3 aspect ratio.  In the playback box, it just showed black stripes on each side of the regular 4:3 clips footage.  I was perfectly fine with that, but then when I went and burned the video to dvd, all the widescreen footage was cutoff on the sides and the regular footage fit the screen.  Please tell me that there's a way to make it widescreen still.  BTW, I made another video all in widescreen and it burned onto dvd as desired, leading me to believe that widescreen would be the default if included.   Plus, on the burning page, the preset NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.  Sounds like it should be in widescreen, right?  Any insight is greatly appreciated.  After spending so many hours on it, I hate for it to have been a complete waste.

Any other details that would be useful in getting advice?      

• 1. Re: Project with both widescreen and 4:3 clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select? (You can see -- but can't change them -- by going to Edit/Project Settings.)

Also, what model(s) of camcorder did your footage come from and how did you get it into your comptuer?

• 2. Re: Project with both widescreen and 4:3 clips
            sk8jeff81 Level 1

I am at work and my laptop is at home, so I can't verify the settings for the project at this moment, but I didn't change them so I would assume they are the default (if there is one).

The bulk (widescreen) of the footage came from my Canon ZR 900 mini DV camcorder.  I had to use a Pinnacle box to pull the footage into Pinnacle Studio 14 before I could move it over to Premiere Elements 9 because my new laptop didn't come with a firewire port.  The camcorder connects to the box's firewire port and the box connects to the laptop with a USB port.  The old footage (4:3) was recorded an older model (Canon ZR 100 mini DV) of the same  camcorder. 

• 3. Re: Project with both widescreen and 4:3 clips

Unfortunately, you can't capture miniDV over a USB connection or thorugh a Pinnacle box and get true DV-AVI footage. This is probably why you are having trouble with the footage. It's video doesn't include the correct codec, pixel aspect ratio and other identifiers to work as true widescreen or 4:3 video.

If you capture the video over a FireWire connection using a program like Premiere Elements or the free utility WinDV, you won't have this problem and your video should work perfectly.

I know your laptop doesn't have a FireWire connection, and that's going to be a problem if you plan to do any video editing on it. (A FireWire/USB adaptor won't work.) Even if you edit the video on your laptop, you're going to need to at least capture it on a computer with a FireWire connection or you're going to have lots of these types of challenges. Sorry.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Project with both widescreen and 4:3 clips
                sk8jeff81 Level 1

But why did my first project turn out fine?  Same camcorder, same capturing process.  The burned dvd came out widescreen with the letterbox, which is how I hoped this project would come out.  The only thing I can think of is that the inclusion of 4:3 footage caused the entire project to switch to 4:3 when it was burned.  If I took out all those 4:3 clips, would it come out widescreen or is the damage done?     

• 5. Re: Project with both widescreen and 4:3 clips

Most likely the "damage" is done. Otherwise, rather than being letterboxed, your widescreen video would have like squished to 4:3.

If you'd like, you can open the video in G Spot and post the specs here (codec, pixel aspect ratio, etc.).

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

But the fact is that it will only work 100% of the time when you capture over a FireWire connection.

• 6. Re: Project with both widescreen and 4:3 clips
                    sk8jeff81 Level 1

I want it to be letterboxed instead of not seeing the full picture (you can't see the sides when on the TV).  When I get home tonight, I will check the project settings on the two projects I've done.  If they're the same, my mind will be boggled because the output (i.e. burned disc) is different.  At this point, I am thinking I may have to reopen a new project and re-edit to exactly how the current project is (countless hours of work), but not include any of the full frame clips.   

• 7. Re: Project with both widescreen and 4:3 clips
                      sk8jeff81 Level 1

Checked project settings, but I don't see any difference between the two projects.  I played around for a while and put footage into the project that came out letterboxed (as desired) and it maintained its letterboxed format even in the burning.  Leads me to believe it's not a problem with the capturing, but something with Premiere Elements' editing settings.  Not sure what caused the settings in the two projects to be different, but I am just going to resave the old project with all the new footage.  Lots of re-editing, but at least I know the finished product will work.  It would be nice to know what caused one project to open letterboxed and the other one not.