4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 4:21 AM by Ned Murphy

I'm not sure whether to buy Flash CS 5.5 or CS 3. Help please?

Hisaka2011

Hello everybody.

I've finally decided to buy Flash, but I'm hesitating on which version. I have the chance to purchase either CS5.5 or CS3 for about the same price from a local shop that still had CS3 in stock.

I've heard CS5.5 is bug-infested and very different from previous versions, which makes me think it will be harder for me to learn to use it (I'm just a hobbyist and rely mostly on online tutorials to learn to make simple little actionscript games). But it is the newest version, so I'm assuming I'd have the best support and maybe new features I might grow to like once the growing pains are over?

On the other hand, I've heard CS3 was pretty good and stable, but I'm worried that it being much older, it might violently disagree with running in an Windows 7 machine. (64bit?)

And it seems bad to buy older software when you can buy new one for the same price, even if the old one has a better rep, at least from what I've heard.

So now that I'm completely confused and unsure which I should get, I ask you all, if you are knowledgeable in both of those applications, could you please tell me whether my assumptions are correct or not, and which of the two you would recommend?

Particularly, if I get CS5.5, would it be easy to learn to use it? Would you say the UI is friendly? Is it truly as picky and crashy as I've heard it was?

And most importantly, if I get CS5.5, would I be able to use old actionscript in it? Like if I follow a tutorial for something that worked in Flash CS2, will it still work in CS5.5? (It was either actionscript 2 or 3, if I remember well.)

Or would any tutorials for anything older than CS5.5 be worthless?

I've been reading reviews and looking in various places, but none of those are as good as hearing first hand the experience of a real person who isn't trying to sell you something. So please, help me make my choice.

Thank you so much in advance. I really appreciate any help any of you can give me!

• 1. Re: I'm not sure whether to buy Flash CS 5.5 or CS 3. Help please?
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Buy the 5.5 version. Some of the reported bugs are real, most are not. Adobe will eventually fix some of the real bugs. The UI is one of the worst that I have ever seen, but there is nothing that you can do about that. Adobe seems to be set on making all of their apps look like After Effects, no matter how inappropriate that might be.

If you don't know Flash, then start with the current version, there is no advantage to learning an old version of anything. Do not spend any effort on learning AS2. It is a dead version of Actionscript, it will never come back into favor. You can open old files and examine them with any newer version of Flash. You won't be able to open a CS 4 or CS 5 or CS 5.5 file with CS 3.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I'm not sure whether to buy Flash CS 5.5 or CS 3. Help please?
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just backing up what Rob has to say on all counts.  I would add that CS3 is no longer supported by Adobe tech support, so if you should have any problems you will be moreso on your own trying to find resolution.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: I'm not sure whether to buy Flash CS 5.5 or CS 3. Help please?
              Hisaka2011 Level 1

@ Rob:

Thank you! That's very helpful. I'll get 5.5.

How bad would you say the UI is compared to CS2? I had managed to figure out how to more or less do what I needed with CS2, so I'm hoping it's not a lot worse. :-S

@ Ned:

Thank you.

I was under the impression Adobe's help was horrible no matter what...? Hopefully I'm wrong? The only time I needed to contact them about Photoshop, it was such a catastrophe that I never used Adobe help again. Hopefully they're better with flash.

• 4. Re: I'm not sure whether to buy Flash CS 5.5 or CS 3. Help please?
                Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I was being nice regarding Adobe's help, implying their service reputation when I used "moreso". If you have experienced it first hand, then you don't need anyone to tell you how they are with helping their customers.