15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 2:46 AM by Michael Gianino

Modified links question?

Rhys TW

Hiya,

I've been using InDesign CS3 at work for few years now [CS5 would be nice but times are hard and all that] and generally I never take work home, thus all my files etc are worked on using the same computer [it's a PC not a MAC]. Due to only working on this one computer, I never have any issues with linked files.

Recently though, I'm going to be working from home a couple of days a week. So far, I've copied all my work onto an external hard-drive and it's this HD that I'll be using to store/save all my work on going forward - I guess you can imagine what I'm going to ask next?! So, I've got my HD with all my work on and I plug into into my MAC; when I open a .indd it's going to be looking for all the linked files from the original source right [which is actual a server that my work computer is hooked up to]? Oh, I've got CS4 on my MAC by the way.

Although, that doesn't appear to be my problem. I opened one of my .indd files on my MAC yesterday [obviously from my external HD] and it said all my linked files are 'modified links' - my main question is, if I choose to update these modified links, does InDesign locate all the files on the HD leaving me with a perfect document?!

Hope all that makes sense - I'm just trying to get my head around using InDesign files on different computers!

One other thing I wanted to mention, I've read that is the clock/date is incorrect, this could throw up 'modified link' errors. Is this right?

• 1. Re: Modified links question?
          Michael Gianino Level 4

Rhys TW wrote:

…using InDesign CS3 at work…working from home…I've got CS4 on my MAC by the way.

If you're planning to edit your CS3 files in CS4, backsave them, and bring them back to work to edit in CS3, you are likely to find people on this forum (like me) who will advise you against that workflow. Also, the PC fonts at work will be OK at home, but if you select any of your home fonts, you won't get the same cooperation back on the PC.

As far as relinking goes, it depends on how deep the links go in the structure of your file system. If, for example, your ID file and links are in the same folder, it shouldn't need to look for any images. If all of your images are in an images folder, but your ID file is not, it's just a matter of using Relink to Folder from the fly-out of the links manager. If, on the other hand, you have links scattered across many locations, I'm not sure what to tell you.

• 2. Re: Modified links question?
            Rhys TW Level 1

Hiya mate,

Don't worry, I'm not planning to to use my CS3 documents on my MAC [CS4] and then back again - once opened on my MAC, I'll only be using my MAC for that particular piece of work.

Regarding your second paragraph - I am quite tidy, I try to keep all images etc in the same folder as the ID file. My issue was more to do with why CS4 is marking all linked file as 'modified files'? What should actually happen with the ID files I've copied across to the HD - would ID look for the original source of the linked files [in this case the work server my work PC was contented too] or should it serach for them on the HD, if that makes sense?

• 3. Re: Modified links question?
              Michael Gianino Level 4

I'm not sure why the images would show up as modified, but since you know that they have not been modified, there shouldn't be any downside to updating all of the links at once.

• 4. Re: Modified links question?
                Rhys TW Level 1

Yep you're correct, the files have 100% not been modified - but what you're saying then, is that the ID files that have been copied from the work server to my external hard-drive SHOULD be looking for the linked files on the HD, NOT the server [the server being where the images etc were located when I created the artwork]?

• 5. Re: Modified links question?
                  Rhys TW Level 1

Any more input would be great peeps

• 6. Re: Modified links question?
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Rhys TW wrote:

Yep you're correct, the files have 100% not been modified - but what you're saying then, is that the ID files that have been copied from the work server to my external hard-drive SHOULD be looking for the linked files on the HD, NOT the server [the server being where the images etc were located when I created the artwork]?

ID is going to look FIRST by following the path that was saved, so if the file was saved with links pointing to your server, that's where ID will start to look. If it can't find them there (for example because it cannot connect), it will stat looking in the current folder where the document is located. Simply copying the links doesn't change the path in the ID file.

Packaging the file would make a copy with the links pointing to the packaged Links folder (but again, because that folder is being moved from its original location, you need to be careful. If ID can connect to the original location, it will, and if you update a link, it will be the one in the original location, not the one in the copy that you brought home). Any time ID cannot find the original link, but does find a file with the same name during it's search, it will show as modified because the path and timestamp is different, even if the file is an identical copy.

• 7. Re: Modified links question?
                      Rhys TW Level 1

Ah right, so my MAC and ID files are doing the right thing - the fact that the links are 'modified' is ID just highlighting the change of linked path yes? It's gone through the process you mention above; first searching for the links in the original place [the server], but as obviously my MAC isn't connected to the server it then looks for the same file names in the location of the ID file; as I've copied ALL the artwork across to the HD, it CAN find those same file names and everything is ok All I need to do it agree to modifying the links and my .indd is good to go on my MAC using CS4!

• 8. Re: Modified links question?
                        Rhys TW Level 1

Hiya,

Could I just get confirmation that my above post is correct, that CS4 and my MAC are correct in flagging all linked as modified as it essentially it asking me if I want to modify the path of the links?

The only reason I ask for this confirmation is because I've just opened one of my CS3 ID files [which I obviously created on my work computer as mentioned above], expecting all the links to require 'modifying'. This wasn't the case though, a few of the Photoshop files were 'ok' as appose to 'modified' - I don't really understand this as surely it should be all or nothing?

Cheers fo any help.

• 9. Re: Modified links question?
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Links are pretty complex, and I may not  have gotten it exactly right. I checked a couple of old files on my new laptop that came from previous machines, and I don't get modified errors, but I've gone to some trouble to re-create the directory structure on all of my machines so I'll have as little trouble as possible with links. It's possible that you have a similarly named path on both systems for some of the links, but not all.

In any case, It's not something that I would lose sleep over -- modified link messages are very normal when moving things around.

• 10. Re: Modified links question?
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Could I just get confirmation that my above post is correct, that CS4 and my MAC are correct in flagging all linked as modified as it essentially it asking me if I want to modify the path of the links?

InDesign will flag links as Modified if you have moved the location of any files, or if the size or timestamp of files have changed.

You told us that you moved the files to an external hard drive, right? That's modification, though it may depend on how you told InDesign about new path to the linked images. How did you do that?

• 11. Re: Modified links question?
                              Rhys TW Level 1

Thanks for all your replies so far guys.

John - I haven't 'told' InDesign about any new paths to the linked images. All I've done is copy my entire artwork folder from the work server onto an external HD, taken the HD home and opened the ID files on my MAC. As you mention above, ID with see this as a modification as it's no longer able to link the linked files to their original place [the work server] - touch wood, once I give the ok to these modifications the files appear to be fine [no errors in the preflight].

The only issue I had was with one peice of work I mention above; a number of images didn't need modifying when I opened the ID file, which I found strange because the linked path would of been altered just the same as the images which were flagged as modified. All the images were contained within the same folder so I would of expected consistency.

Peter - the more I open my ID files in CS4 on my MAC, which were created on my work PC using CS3, the more I'm getting my head around it. Once I hit ok to the modification ID is asking to make [which after reading your replies seems to be ID amending the paths of the links to the HD], the files seem to be fine for me to work with. What I'm not going to do is then try to re-use these files on my work computer once I've worked on them using CS4, as I'm sure that would just cause a world of hurt!

Cheers.

• 12. Re: Modified links question?
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

I am still not clear whether you have Packaged the folder before copying it, or not.

The only issue I had was with one peice of work I mention above; a number of images didn't need modifying when I opened the ID file, which I found strange because the linked path would of been altered just the same as the images which were flagged as modified. All the images were contained within the same folder so I would of expected consistency.

That seems peculiar. If you open the file without Updating the Modified Links, look at the Links panel and

compare those images. See where their paths are. Hopefully that should clarify the discrepancy.

• 13. Re: Modified links question?
                                  Rhys TW Level 1

No John, no packaging [I've copied across a few years worth of work, packaging each ID file would take a while!], but all my folders are tidy etc so all the relevant PSD, AI, JPEGs etc are there for ID to amend the path too [if that's what it's doing].

I did do what you suggest, looking at the path of the images ID deemed as ok and the ones which required modifying - and both appeared to be the same [the starting point of the path being the HD]. I'll re-look at this though in case I wasn't paying enough attention!

It was only the one file that this happend too [a very link heavy file] - once I've opened a few more, maybe I'll get more answers!

• 14. Re: Modified links question?
                                    Rhys TW Level 1

Bit of an update on this issue. The request to 'modify' the links was happening when I opened an InDesign file from the external hard-drive. As I had 'read only' rights I thought I'd copy the folders I needed across to my MAC - I did this, opened up the same files and guess what....NO request to modify links!

So I've copied my original folders from my work server, to an external HD, and then to my MAC - the modify links request was only an issue when opening the ID files from the external HD, when doing it from my MAC all seems fine!

• 15. Re: Modified links question?
                                      Michael Gianino Level 4

Woo hoo! It's always that little thing you didn't think of.