3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 9:42 AM by MSPMarathon

Export xml blob data to Excel

satyasuppu Level 1

Hi ,

I need help in exporting data into excel file .

I am storing the data from UI in xml format in blob file in Database.Now i need to export this xml data into excel file using application.Please help me how can we  export data into excel file.Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

SAtya

• 1. Re: Export xml blob data to Excel
          MSPMarathon Level 1

If you have a webpage built in Flex you can write the information into a .CSV or another format readable by excel into a file on your server, then open a window to navigate to that page in order for the user to be able to download the file.  If you have a desktop Air application you can write the file to the computer somewhere and do the same thing.

• 2. Re: Export xml blob data to Excel
            satyasuppu Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Its web application.Used flex for UI. In UI i have Export and Export ALL values in combo.If i select Export, it should read the xml clob data and show that data in Exce or csv..This is the functionality.

I need to read the xml_clob inside the database and put each item in excel. The columns in excel should be each of the xml elements e.g.

<ns1:FinancialRisk>BBB</ns1:FinancialRisk>

<ns1:Instrument>

<ns1:InstrumentTypeCode>EQUITY</ns1:InstrumentTypeCode>

</ns1:Instrument>

<ns1:Price>

<ns1:PriceValue>33.5</ns1:PriceValue>

</ns1:Price>

How to  read and put tis data into the CSv or excel?Please provide me some sample code if possible.That would be greatful.

Thaks,

satya

• 3. Re: Export xml blob data to Excel
              MSPMarathon Level 1

loop through and read all records into a string with whatever format you need CSV(Comma Separated Values) is easy because you just have to add a comma between each value in the record and i believe its just a newline character to go to the next value.  Something like this(below) once you have built your string:

var fr:FileReference = new FileReference();// reference to where you want to save the file.

var csv:String = 'The String you have created in CSV format';

var ba:ByteArray = new ByteArray();

ba.writeMultiByte(csv, 'utf-8');

fr.save(ba);

Then you can open that file in your browser to download it.