4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2011 9:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Elements 8 Low image quality on import

Talphin

Hello,

I am using Premiere Elements 8, and importing large 300dpi images that once imported and scaled, look blurred and really badly compressed. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Elements 8 Low image quality on import
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Video is only the equivalent of a 640x480 pixel image -- no matter how high resolution the original image you add.

In fact, it can be counter-productive to add high-resolution images. Most people get the best results and the best performance by using photos no larger than 1000x750.

But there's no way that video resolution will look as clear and detailed as the original,  high-resolution photo.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Elements 8 Low image quality on import
            Talphin Level 1

Well, detailed and high resolution are one thing. I did originally use the exact size images, and as pngs, but they looked blurry and compressed as well, so I tried 300dpi images, and have the same result.

Looking at it now, I think it is actually something to do with the overall video quality, but I have been messing with the settings, and the images I bring in just look like absolute crap.

• 3. Re: Elements 8 Low image quality on import
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you rendered your timeline?

Press Enter if there are red lines above the clips on your timeline. When the red lines turn green, the video will play at a quality more like your final video output.

• 4. Re: Elements 8 Low image quality on import
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As DPI, or PPI, are meaningless in Video, one should concentrate on the pixel x pixel dimensions. Also, with the exception of PrPro CS5 & 5.5, with CUDA/MPE acceleration, Scaling of stills in an image editing program, like Photoshop, will yield better quality. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and also gives tips on doing batch Scaling of entire folders of still images for Video use.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful