3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 8:29 AM by BobLevine

Transparency flattener/overprint issue?

ZCARD

as per my post title suggests i have experienced an issue that i think maybe something related to either the transparency flattener settings or overprint.

i have received some pdf files from a client which i put into indesign CS4. I add some company information and then output a pdf (export from indesign profile PDFX 1a 2001) ready for print.

when receiving the clients pdfs which i have noticed where created in CS5 have no overprint settings applied to the file at all. (See image below)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
      Shot at 2011-10-27

after creating my pdf it has set elements to overprint. why is this? All i have done is add the original pdfs into indesign and output them again! is indesign managing the overprint settings without my knowledge? (See image below)

Shot at 2011-10-27

All of this was brought to light after the job had been printed! but for some reason it has knocked out some of the elements set to overprint rather than over printed them. You will notice from the image below that the stars on the left have come out correct but the stars on the top right have not! apart from the part over the image.

Shot at 2011-10-27

A colleague of mine at work seems to think the issue has something to do with the transparency flattener settings when a vector graphic connects with a bitmapped image.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience into what has happened here and could help me resolve this issue from occuring in the future? as i need to provide an explanation to my client. as it has baffled my printer! and he has no answers!

thanks in advance.

Dazzlag