12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 4:21 PM by Peter Spier

How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter

luca del carlo Level 1

I'd like to divide the chapters of a book into separate sections primarily to lock in each chapter's starting page. This is so alterations of a few lines in preceding chapters don't push the next the next chapter out of place by a few lines.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is the whole book one continuous story now?

If it is, you need to break the thread at the end of each chapter, then select the text from the first character after the last character in the chapter up to the end of the story (You might want to switch to story editor for this part so you can see what is selected), then cut to the clipboard and past into the now empty following frame. Repeat for each chapter.  There are some scripts to make this a bit easier (notably NOT either of the sample scripts that look as if they might work), but it isn't all that hard to do manually.

• 2. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter
            luca del carlo Level 1

I prefer to try to do this manually now. To clarify your instructions "select the text from the first character after the last character in the chapter up to the end of the story  - then cut to the clipboard and past into the now empty following frame. Repeat for each chapter" - does this mean to cut out each chapter and then simply repaste it?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter

Just about. When you break the thread (click the outport of the last frame inthe chapter, then click inside the frame) at the end of the first chapter, the story will go into overset and you will have two sets of threaded frames -- one with the first chapter showing, and the frames beyond that will now be empty, but still threaded to one another. You cut chapter two along with all the rest of the text to the end of the book from the first thread, then paste into the empty frames and it will reflow to fill them all again. Repeat at the end of each chapter.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter
                luca del carlo Level 1

"When you break the thread (click the outport of the last frame inthe chapter, then click inside the frame)"

Ok, I see that when I click the out port at the end of ch 1, the cursor becomes loaded. Clicking inside the frame, the outport turns to red and ch 2 onwards is no longer visible

"....at the end of the first chapter, the story will go into overset and you will have two sets of threaded frames -- one with the first chapter showing, and the frames beyond that will now be empty, but still threaded to one another."

Yes.

"You cut chapter two along with all the rest of the text to the end of the book from the first thread,"

Ch 2 and the rest of the book onwards are longer visible; how do I cut it?

"....then paste into the empty frames and it will reflow to fill them all again."

I can't try that without following the preceding step correctly.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter
                  Michael Gianino Level 4

luca del carlo wrote:

Ch 2 and the rest of the book onwards are longer visible; how do I cut it?

With the Story Editor. Click to place the text cursor near the end of the text and go to Edit>Edit in Story Editor, and a window will pop up with all of the text in the current story. The text is displayed all in one font and size to make it easy to edit. If you have overset text, there will be a red vertical line down the left side of the window, and a black horizontal line with the word Overset. Everything above the horizontal line is able to fit into your text frame, while everything below is overset. Place the cursor at the beginning of the overset text, and select to the end of the story. You can just click and drag down to select, or you can hold Shift and Option while hitting the End button on your keyboard.

• 6. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter

Thanks, MIchael.

If you have confidence n the system, you can do this without story editor, too. Just put the cursor after the last character you want in the chapter and use the keyboard shortcut Cmd (Ctrl on Windows) + Shift + End to select to the end of the story. You wont see it, but it willl still happen.

One other little note.... If the bookk has been one continuous story up to now there will be a paragraph break between the end of one chapter and the start of the next. If you leave that behind at the end of the chapter you should delete it -- good practice is that there should not be a return at the end of a story -- and you'll definitelly need to rmove it if you pick it up with the beginning of the next chapter.

• 7. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter
                      luca del carlo Level 1

Peter,

Here's what I am getting from your descption:

Step 1: Break the thread at the end of each chapter. Do this by clicking the outport of the last frame in chapter 1, then click inside the frame

This results in everything after ch1 to vanishing as it's overset

Step 2: Select the text from the first character after the last character in the chapter up to the end of the story

In which chapter are we talking about selecting characters; is it ch 2? How do I do that if it's vanished into overset?

Thank you.

• 8. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter

Yes, you want to select that overset text and cut it from the thread, then paste it into the next empty frame.

If you don't want to use the keyboard shortcut above to select it, open the story editor by putting the cursor inthe story and choosing Edit > Edit in Story Editor and as Michael explained earlier you will get a new window withthe entire text showing, with the overset section  marked.

• 9. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter
                          luca del carlo Level 1

Something is amiss in the way I'm executing the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Shift + End) then. Is the cursor set into the frame first then ctrl+shift+end are pressed together, then a left click to paste?

And if I'm using the story editor (which I have no preference for) then the first steps of how to load the cursor in story editor mode are missing.

Please, either in story editor or in the layout, be very clear about the full sequence of steps for a beginner.

Thank you.

• 10. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter

Crtl + Shift + End will SELECT the text from the cursor to the end of the story, or you cna click and drag in Stroy Editor, but you still must cut the selected text, then put the cursor in the empty frame and paste.

• 11. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter
                              luca del carlo Level 1

I'm unsure where the last direction falls in the sequence....and providing the story editor alternative loses me as not all the steps were listed for that approach, so if we can, let's leave story editor out of any discussion and look at doing this in the layout, please.

Step 1

Click the outbox around the last frame of chapter 1

Step 2

Click inside that SAME frame (Yes or no?)

Step 3

Step 4

Thank you.

• 12. Re: How to divide sections of a book, lock in each chapter

Step 1

Click the outbox around the last frame of chapter 1

Step 2

Click inside that SAME frame (Yes or no?)  YES

Step 3

Place the text cursor after the last character you want in the frame

Step 4

Press Ctrl + Shift + End to select to the end of the story (alll the hidden overset text)

Step Five

Cut (Ctrl + X or Edit > Cut)

Step 6

Click text cursor in empty frame

Step 7

Paste

Repeat for the next chapter....