2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 4:08 PM by ECBowen

Premiere disables audio for rest of computer, but still plays in premiere

madoy23

When i use premiere it disables all audio playback for any other programmes.

Say for example i am playing something in youtube or windows media player it plays fine until I open premiere at which point premiere takes over the soundcard and refuses to allow any other programme to use the soundcard. Frustratingly this also continues when premiere is shut down, I still have no audio so have to reboot computer. Any one know why this is, i see that in audition you have the release asio driver in background option, but there is no option in premiere to do this.

The audio device I am using in a Mackie Oynx Satellitte audio card using asio drivers.

Using premiere cs5.5

Thansk for helping.

Mike

• 1. Re: Premiere disables audio for rest of computer, but still plays in premiere
          Jim_Simon Level 9

What happens if you disable the Mackie and use the onboard audio?

• 2. Re: Premiere disables audio for rest of computer, but still plays in premiere
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Asio driver module uses direct hardware communication to the sound card or device. This allows for allot lower latency than your standard Windows WDM driver module. However because Asio has direct hardware communication, it takes control of the device and locks it out from other applications while it's using it. The application has to have an option to release the asio driver when the application is in the background in order for another application to use. Windows uses the WDM driver module for all audio interfaces and that includes explorer or other web browsers. They cannot use the device while an asio application has control. If you need to use them the change Premiere's driver to the Windows audio device and that will switch Premiere to using the WDM driver mode instead of asio which will share the device. BTW you may have to close Premeire for the audio driver change to initialize in Premiere.

Eric

ADK