13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 4:11 PM by George_Johnson

Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader

guesswho5000

A company I am affiliating with is requiring me to fill out PDF forms online.

I am able to open the forms but when I attempt to type in a field my computer dings at me. No error messages.
      Typing is simply not excepted.

Why?

• 1. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader
          guesswho5000 Level 1

Didn't think anybody could answer it.

Thanks for nothing.

• 2. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader
            Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

guesswho5000 wrote:

Didn't think anybody could answer it.

Thanks for nothing.

Considering that people answering in this forum are just voluntary participants and not payed Adobe employees, posting such a pleasant comment 12 minutes after posting your question is not likely to help you in making many new friends around here.

Not to mention that similar questions have been posted and fully answered countless times before.

• 3. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader
              guesswho5000 Level 1

First off, looking for a buddy or a friend. I'm looking for an answer.

Second off. Perhaps whoever runs this site should improve their search engine.

If you can find multiple answers at this site for my question.

Please enlighten me by posting at least a dozen such answers.

At least thanks for some kind of response.

• 4. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The form is not fillable. At least not with Adobe Reader.

There is no Adobe Acrobat Reader. There is Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader. Whether you will be able to fill this out in the end depends on which one you actually have.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader
                  guesswho5000 Level 1

Interesting, too bad this isn't revealed at the website.

Everyone seems to consider it all to be one program.

So, which would I need to fill out forms using Internet Explorer 9, Windows 7 professional?

I appreciate the revealing answer.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader

You would need Adobe Acrobat to create the form fields that can be filled in. Reader can only fill the forms if someone has used Acrobat to create these fields.

• 7. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader
                      guesswho5000 Level 1

Thanks for the info. Although now I am a bit confused.

The forms were created by the company. When the form opens in Internet Explorer. I can click on the location where (let's say), I should type my name. The coarser flashes, but when I type a key on the keyboard. All I get is a dinging sound from my soundcard.

No error messages, nothing that I can tell me what is preventing the keyboard keys from registering in the Adobe file.

So what it sounds like to me is what you're saying is that I should be able to fill out the forms since apparently the fields were created with the form.

Personally my PDF program that I like cannot open these files in my browser. It is a shame because it works so much better than Adobe.

Apparently there is something in these particular files that prevent it from opening in my PDF program. Him

So, for the last couple days I have been trying to get Adobe to work.

Correction, Adobe reader to work.

This messing around is one of the primary reasons I don't like Adobe.

From what you say. I would probably need the full-fledged Adobe program which I am unwilling to purchase. First, because of the exorbitant price for software that over the last 10 years of my experience has always had major bugs unaddressed by the company.

Thanks for your effort. But I believe I am going to uninstall Adobe and informed the company that they will have to provide these forms. Some other way.

Thanks once again.

• 8. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader

guesswho5000 wrote:

First off, looking for a buddy or a friend. I'm looking for an answer.

Second off. Perhaps whoever runs this site should improve their search engine.

If you can find multiple answers at this site for my question.

Please enlighten me by posting at least a dozen such answers.

At least thanks for some kind of response.

First off. Many people who may know the answer to your questions may simply not want to answer you if they don't like your tone. This is what I was trying to tell you more politely in my previous message. (Don't count ~graffiti, he is an exception).

Second off. You'd have to ask Adobe about this, although it has been recently improved; before that, it was simply useless.

Third off. Here are the results of a quick first search I did for you: http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userI D=&containerType=14&container=3414&spotlight=true&rankBy=date&q=%22cannot+fill%22. Don't expect me to open a single one of those threads to check if it contains the full answer to your question.

Finally. You can fill in forms with just the free Reader (not Adobe; that's the company), I think that v. 9 and above (it could be 8), but only if they have been specially enabled by the author.

• 9. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader

guesswho5000 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Although now I am a bit confused.

The forms were created by the company. When the form opens in Internet Explorer. I can click on the location where (let's say), I should type my name. The coarser flashes, but when I type a key on the keyboard. All I get is a dinging sound from my soundcard.

You're simply using the selection tool to select an area. It doesn't mean it's fillable.

If it were fillable, you would have a message stating so and if you have the hand tool selected and mouse over the field (or what looks like a field), it would turn into an i-beam.

• 10. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader

Finally. You can fill in forms with just the free Reader (not Adobe; that's the company), I think that v. 9 and above (it could be 8), but only if they have been specially enabled by the author.

I hate to correct this. It's partially true. This pertains to fillable AND saveable forms.

If it's only fillable, it can be filled in by any version o

• 11. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader

Graf, you didn't finish your message, so I'm not sure what you were correcting in mine. Just in case, I was talking about just filling the forms, not about saving them once filled. And if you intended saying that a fillable form can be filled and not saved with any version of Reader, you may be right. I stopped using Reader when I bought Acrobat 5.0.

• 12. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader

Yeah sorry. The forum flipped out on me. I noticed it but didn't notice that my whole message wasn't posted.

For just filling in forms, any version of Reader should do as long as the PDF version isn't to high.

• 13. Re: Keystrokes will not function in adobe acrobat reader
                                  George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If there are in fact interactive fields and the cursor can be placed in a field, resulting in the flashing insertion point (|), then the ding means that the field is set up to disallow the character you're trying to enter. For example, a text field that's setup to only accept numeric entries will ding if you try to enter a letter. Text field can be set up with arbitrary restrictions and it may not be obvious what will be accepted as valid. If you can provide a link to a sample form, we could tell for sure.