5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 1:04 PM by GraniteToe

How can I transform an image into a different design?

GraniteToe

I've used the Distort effects in AE to modify the following video:

blue.JPG

Into this:

green.JPG

I'm a pretty pleased with the results.  I simply used the Transform and Mirror effects.

However, I have a bunch of other designs which I can't distort into a good alternative design by using the same method.  Here is an example:

0001.jpg

I am hoping some of you very clever people can come up with a method I can use for transforming this sort of design into something decent!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How can I transform an image into a different design?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

That's an extremely broad question. We don't know what you're trying to create, so we can't give advice on how to do it.

Also, please don't cross-post on many forums without also providing links to your other posts of the same question. Otherwise, someone may waste their time on one forum trying to answer your question without realizing that you've already gotten an answer somewhere else and moved on.

• 2. Re: How can I transform an image into a different design?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have to admit that I don't have any idea of what you're trying to do. Kaleidoscope effects? Motion Effects, Morph effects? It may help a little bit if we saw the first transform you like in motion or at least an example from somewhere that's close to what you're trying to achieve.

• 3. Re: How can I transform an image into a different design?
              GraniteToe Level 1

Thanks for the replies!

I realise this is a broad question.  I will elaborate on the images from my first post in order to provide more details:

1)  I have generated a number of animated designs, the blue image when animated looks like moving electricity.  All of the designs are geometric patterns of one form or another.  I have around 50 of these designs.

2)  I want to create variations on these geometric animations. Rather than start from scratch and create a brand new design (which is a lengthy process), I want to use the effects in After Effects to create variations.  In the example I provided, I took the blue design and used a number of effects to create the green design.

3)  Essentially, I now have two different animations.  The blue original, and the green variation.

4)  Here is my question.  Are there any specific effects within After Effects, that allow me to distort an image/animation to such a degree that it essentially looks like a different image/animation?  So far, I have used Transform and Mirror.

I gave Kaleidoscope a try, and that gave some good results, so thanks for that suggestion.

5)  The problem I am having is that some of my other designs are more or less 'symmetrical' in appearance - like the yellow image from my first post.  The Transform, Mirror and Kaleidoscope effects do not really distort the symmetrical animations enough.  This is because they simply tend to either rotate the image (which is a circle, so rotating it does little), or they mirror the design (which again does little as the image is a circle).  So, are there any other effects I can choose which will distort a symmetrical geometrical design, whilst still retaining a degree of geometric appearance?

I thank you again for your time, it really is appreciated!

EDIT:  As Todd Kopriva suggested, here is the link to the other forum post:  http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1008997  - I forgot to link back to this forum from there.  I will add that shortly.

• 4. Re: How can I transform an image into a different design?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just grab everything under the Distort category and give it a try.

From top to bottom:

Polar Coordinates + mirror

Twirl + Unsharp Mask

Colorama + Ripple

Just have fun.

Screen Shot 2011-10-27 at 12.48.41 PM.png

• 5. Re: How can I transform an image into a different design?
                  GraniteToe Level 1

Those are excellent!  Thank you very much.  I will play around with those settings.