7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 2:55 PM by akelataka

InDesign CS4 - Table of Contents: Problems with a tab leader

akelataka

I am trying to make a table of contents with dots leading to the page number, I am having problems, though. In the Table of contents style options, I set up the "Between entry and number" to be the Tab character (or Right indent tab, it doesn't work either). As Entry style I set the paragraph style named "obsah2", which I wanted to be the paragraph with Tab leader.

When trying to make the Tab leader paragraph, I had this problem: I created the paragraph "obsah2", set the Tabs to "Right-justified tab" and a dot as the Leader. Clicked OK. Unlike any other options, though, this (Tab) option was applied to all other Paragraph styles already existing in the document. When I clicked any other Paragraph style and set the Tab to be Left-justified, and the Leader to be "K", for exaple, it was applied back to the "obsah2" paragraph as well as the others, while other options like font size and style, language or indents and spacing were kept unique for each paragraph. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to have some paragraphs with a left-justified Tab leader, and some with a right-justified Tab leader?

Either way, the dots were never applied to the Table of contents - they never appeared there, whether the "obsah2" paragraph had the Tab leader set right, or not. Can anybody help me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS4 - Table of Contents: Problems with a tab leader
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm lost. Could you please post screen grabs of the YOC dialog, and the tabs panel of the paragraph style defintiton dilaog?

One reason that a tab leader might not appear for a Right Indent tab is that you need another tab set in the line with the leader applied. Typically you would define this tab in the style and place it beyond the right edge of the column someplace.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS4 - Table of Contents: Problems with a tab leader

Personally, I seldom use the tab leader function. I prefer to define a character style that applies a custom underline (I tend to use Japanese dots for the stroke style) as it is more flexible in terms of weight and position. You add the underline as a nested character style in the style you apply to listings.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS4 - Table of Contents: Problems with a tab leader
              akelataka Level 1

Well, here are some screenshots:

The TOC window:

screen1.jpg

The Paragraph Styles window:

screen2.jpg

Somehow, the dots have appeared in the TOC now (I did everything as before, spent about 2 hours on it and the dots appeared just now... weird....). The problem with the Paragraph styling (that it's applied to all paragraphs instead just the edited one) is still here, do you think it is some kind of a bug?

Another problem appeared together with the dots, though:

screen3.jpg

Even though there is no Style with a Superscript (as you can see, the number should be styled using the "obsah 3" style, and the dots using the "dots" style, no Superscript within them), the dots and the number appear to be written in Superscript, just because the last character of the text from the Contents is written in Superscript. Is there a way to avoid it?

Thank you for your answers and the tips - I think that I use the   character style that applies a custom underline you talk about (the "dots"), it is just buggy. But I am new to InDesign (I actually started to learn it today) so maybe I am just doing it wrong.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS4 - Table of Contents: Problems with a tab leader

How did the superscript get applied to the last character before the tab? My guess would be that it is also applied to the end of paragraph marker, so that everything from there on is going to be superscripted. You should fix that in the main text. If you apply a character style or local formatting override to the paragraph in the main text, that charamcter style or local formatting will carry forward into the TOC listing, even if you use a differnt paragraph style for the listing. Styles applied as nested or GREP styles, however, will not carry forward if you change to a new style for the listing.

Rather than apply styles to the tab and numbers in the TOC dialog, I would do it as nested styles in the listing style definition, too. I'm not certain, becasue I haven't seen all of yoour style definitions, but if the obsah2 style is used as the base for any other style, adding a leader could very well cause leaders to appear in other paragraphs.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS4 - Table of Contents: Problems with a tab leader
                  akelataka Level 1

Thanks for the explanation of the Superscript formatting! Can I ask what are nested and GREP styles?

The "obsah2" style is not a base for any style - all other styles are based on [No paragraph style]. Weird :-/

• 6. Re: InDesign CS4 - Table of Contents: Problems with a tab leader

In any paragraph style you can add character styles to differnt parts of the paragraph based on differnt types of rules. Nested styles use triggers such as a number of words or a particular character. GREP styles are more sophisitcated, applying a style to any text that matches the pattern defined by the GREP query (so you can build it int o the paragraph style instead of having to run Find/Change later to apply the style). You'll find them both in the Drop Caps and Nested Styles pane of the Paragraph Style definitionn dialog.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: InDesign CS4 - Table of Contents: Problems with a tab leader
                      akelataka Level 1

I tried to format the numbers using the GREP styles and it works perfectly, thank you very much for the tip!!

The problem with the tab leader seems unresolved but since the dots have finally appeared it doesn't really matter Thank you very much for your help!!!