9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 2:05 PM by Peter Spier

If a line breaks break it here

Soundwave_8899

Hello everyone, first of all thank you to anyone who replys with helpful information.

I am laying out a three column phone book which I have done the past couple of years. The biggest and most time consuming issue I have is with line breaks. A typical line in the phone book looks like this:

A & A Automotive 34 Columbian Ave Rutland ..............802-773-9164

A & A Automotive(en space)34 Columbian Ave Rutland ..............(tab)802-773-9164

This is all fine and dandy, the issue I have is when it does not fit on one line and it breaks:

Abatiello Design Center 094 Us Route 7 Rutland ..............

802-773-6300

What is want is when a line breaks, no matter where in the line, it automatically breaks before the en space:

Abatiello Design Center

 094 Us Route 7 Rutland ..............802-773-6300

Is there a way to accomplish this? Thanks everyone.

• 1. Re: If a line breaks break it here
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Create a character style that applies No Break. Add a nested style to the paragraph style you use for the listing: None through 1 en space, <No Break Style> through 1 sentence.

• 2. Re: If a line breaks break it here
            Soundwave_8899 Level 1

At first I thought this was working but then realized it conflicted my other nested styles. Plus when it did break it ended up like this, hyphenating the last work in the name:

Abatiello Design Cent-

er 094 Us Route 7 Rutland ..............802-773-6300

• 3. Re: If a line breaks break it here
              HeyMikey Level 3

Try setting your paragraph styles to no hyphenation.

Cheers!

-Mikey

• 4. Re: If a line breaks break it here
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you really want hyphenation to be on in that paragraph style? Given your requirements, I'd suggest turning hyphenation off. There's no good reason to hyphenate anything at all in a list like that, if you ask me.

In terms of other possible solutions - I guess you could replace all spaces with nonbreaking spaces, and then insert discretionary line breaks in all the places you'd want to allow it to break. Sounds like more hassle than should be necessary to me, but if you already have nested styles in that paragraph style, then such hassle may be preferable. (You can find these things in Type -> Insert White Space and Type -> Insert Special Character, lots of useful stuff in there.)

• 5. Re: If a line breaks break it here

Another dirty hack, also based on Discretionary Line Break, would be this (disclaimer, I didn't try it before posting):

1) Make a special character style with No Break overtly off.

2) Out on your pasteboard, insert an en-space, then a discretionary line break.

3) Apply your no-no break to the discretionary line break only.

4) Copy it to your clipboard.

5) Apply No Break to the paragraph style. This will cause your entire story to become overset.

6) Do a find-replace, look for en-space, replace with clipboard contents, formatted

• 6. Re: If a line breaks break it here

Really guys, applying no break to the end should guarantee if breaks on the en space or not at all. No need to for all that fancy discretionary stuff.

• 7. Re: If a line breaks break it here

Sorry, didn't see the problem with the previous nested style. You can fix that by making no break a part of the paragraphh style, then explicitly turning it off as part of the other character style (presumably bold? that you are applying up to the en space. And turn off hyphenation.

• 8. Re: If a line breaks break it here

Guys? It's just me, Peter.   I thought it was a clever workaround if he already had too much going on in his nested styles - which is what he reported, after all. But yeah, I am certainly going the long way around, when you'd already made the optimal suggestion. However, he reported that he already had nested styles running in that parastyle, and if he can't sort those nested styles successfully with the addition of the no break attribute, my duct-tape suggestion will (probably) work.

• 9. Re: If a line breaks break it here

Mea Culpa. I've been up for a little over 12 hours now and I'm working really fast so I can get dinner.