4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2011 6:03 AM by plarts

CFPOP and the FROM variable

plarts Level 1

I use CFPOP too read mails,

And I want to do different processing following the email adress found in the

FROM variable.

But, depending of the Mail agent sending mails,

The FROM variable contains different types of values :

1 - can be the Email (alone)

2 - can be the name of the person, without any email

3 - can be the name of the person followed by the email

4 - can be the name of the person followed by an email of the mail server.

As I need to find the Email of the sender, only in cases 1 and 3 can give me the right email.

Can someone explain this ?

I do not see anything in CF to solve this, even in programming or in the CF administrator.

I have the impression that , what is retruned in the "FROM" depends of the mail server ?

Thanks for any help, explanation on that subject,

• 1. Re: CFPOP and the FROM variable
          Dan Bracuk Level 5

What happens if you use the header variable instead of the from?

• 2. Re: CFPOP and the FROM variable
            plarts Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion,

the header variable does not give the Email adress of the sender,

it gives the same : the person name.

here is the result of that variable :

Received: from [] by email.images-creations.fr [] with SmartMax MailMax for track@stw.fr; Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:56:29 +0200 Return-Path: X-SmartMax-AuthUser: Received: from mx1-1.images-creations.fr (localhost []) by mx1-1-relay.images-creations.fr (Postfix) with ESMTP id 76EC432E0D9 for ; Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:56:26 +0200 (CEST) X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.5 (2008-06-10) on mx1-1.images-creations.fr X-Spam-Level: ***** X-Spam-Status: No, score=6.0 required=8.0 tests=BAYES_50,HTML_MESSAGE, LIMSI_S36,RCVD_IN_NJABL_PROXY,TVD_SPACE_RATIO autolearn=no version=3.2.5 Received: from smtp.smtpout.orange.fr (smtp12.smtpout.orange.fr []) by mx1-1.images-creations.fr (Postfix) with ESMTP id 63CFE32E0D5 for ; Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:56:26 +0200 (CEST) Received: from StationDev ([]) by mwinf5d47 with ME id mEwR1h00J0qnSTU03EwRkh; Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:56:26 +0200 X-ME-engine: default From: "Pierre LARDE" To: Subject: 13744 Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:56:24 +0200 Message-ID: <000501cc8da6$1b58e540$520aafc0$@fr> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0006_01CC8DB6.DEE1B540" X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 12.0 Thread-Index: AcyNpfyCtDyvnB33RuaPaOwckewWUg== Content-Language: fr

the From is there also the name , not an Email.

Thanks for any other suggestion,

• 3. Re: CFPOP and the FROM variable
              plarts Level 1

I found another variable : "replyto"

I tried it,

but it gives the same content as the "from" variable

so, no use.

And I get the name of the sender, not the Email.

example : "Ricken Patel - Avaaz.org"  , this is what is returned in "from" or "replyto"

This is not an Email adress, so I cannot answer via a cfmail.

• 4. Re: CFPOP and the FROM variable
                plarts Level 1

Solution is there :

The email adress is present in the "from" variable inside brakets < >

So it is not displayed.

With a cfdump, it can be seen.

Male a findnocase of "<" , if found, Email is inside < >.

Then just make a string extraction of the email inside the brakets, if brakets exist.

Ans the valid Email is there.