6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 10:38 AM by Todd_Kopriva

secondary audio files forced down onto audio track 7.

artistdomain Level 1

Hi,

Here's my workflow::

1) Two camera shoot and secondary audio via Sound Devices recorder (mono wave files).

2) import files from all into system via card reader then import into project bin.

Here's my problem:

When laying my secondary audio files onto timeline, it forces it down onto audio track # 7

Why?

I'm trying to use Plura Eyes to sync all together and it seems to have a problem which I think may be related. It seems to be able to syc the two camers together fine but not the secondary audio files down in Sibera.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

wsmith 

• 1. Re: secondary audio files forced down onto audio track 7.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Most likely because you have six stereo tracks and the mono files need to go on a mono track, so it gets created at 7.

• 2. Re: secondary audio files forced down onto audio track 7.
            artistdomain Level 1

Thanks, that sounds plausible but I don't see where to examine or recitfy. Can you tell me how to see this. I've looked in prefs.

Thanks

• 3. Re: secondary audio files forced down onto audio track 7.
              artistdomain Level 1

I see this under "Default Track Prefs" (in Prefs)

Mine shows it set to the rather cryptic "Use File" which I don't see in the choices listed below. In my particular case, I'm importing mono secondary audio fikes but they could just as easily have been stereo files.     

Default Track Format

Defines the type of track in which the clip audio channels are presented when a clip is added to a sequence—Mono, Stereo, Mono As Stereo, or 5.1.
              Mono
              Maps the source audio channels so that they’re placed on separate mono audio tracks. For example, when you select Mono from the Default Track Format menu, Premiere Pro maps each source channel to a separate mono track on capture or import. If you capture from a stereo source with this setting, Premiere Pro maps each of the source channels to a separate monaural track. You can apply the Mono track format to clips containing any number of audio channels. Importing a file containing 5.1 channels maps them to six audio tracks. When you add the clip to the sequence, the clips on the separate mono tracks remain linked together.
              Stereo
              Maps the source audio channels so that paired channels are placed on stereo audio tracks. You can apply the Stereo track format to clips containing any number of audio channels. If the clip doesn’t contain an even number of channels, a silent channel is created. The silent channel is paired with the unpaired channel when the clip is added to a sequence.
              Mono As Stereo
              Maps the source audio channels so each is placed on a stereo audio track. Premiere Pro duplicates the audio from each mono source channel and places it in the left and right channels of a stereo track. You can apply the Mono As Stereo format to clips containing any number of audio channels.
              Maps the source audio channels so that one or more groups of six channels are placed into separate 5.1 surround audio tracks. If the number of source channels is not a multiple of six, Premiere Pro creates a 5.1 surround audio track with silence on one or more channels.
              • 4. Re: secondary audio files forced down onto audio track 7.
                artistdomain Level 1

OK, I found that I can simply delete these unwanted tracks (which in my case are stereo and therefore cannot accpet my mono tracks). I chose the "delete all unused tracks" and it did that and automatically bumped my track 7 up to audio 2.

I don't know why I thought that there should a way to specify this in prefs.

Thanks, Jim Simon