7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 12:49 PM by Agustin Moran

Can a file be output as a DCS 2.0?

Agustin Moran

As odd as this may seem I would like to know if there is a way to output an InDesig document as a DCS 2.0.

In the course of 'worst case' scenarios we are looking for a solution in case our network was to go down & files could not hit our RIPs, nor RIPs to platesetters.

We would need similar files are the platesetters are getting now....in the most basic form, a 1-bit tiff.

Any suggestions?

We would be building the files in InDesign.

I know we could output the files from InDesign, then import them to Photoshop and output from there as a DCS file, but this there a better way?

• 1. Re: Can a file be output as a DCS 2.0?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is definitely no DCS 2.0 output from InDesign.

DCS (Desktop Color Separation) 2.0 specification is an ancient (in computer years) technology developed in the early 1990s by QuarkXPress for color separating images. It is a variant of an EPS file. It has no place in modern print workflows. And there was never any ability to create a DCS file from anything other than an image, including from either QuarkXPress or InDesign.

If you're looking for an image output of an InDesign file, you could use JPEG. Best done by creating a PDF file and rasterizing in Photoshop.

• 2. Re: Can a file be output as a DCS 2.0?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As Steve says, this format is ancient.

I have to ask, what do you need it for?

Bob

• 3. Re: Can a file be output as a DCS 2.0?
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Agustin, it's weird that you suggest you are looking for a 1-bit TIFF representation, because DCS is not that. DCS is a variant of EPS, which can optionally contain a TIFF as a preview only, not for any real professional use. Can you explain the inconsistency?

My reading of the DCS spec

http://www.npes.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=b-M5y6JIBDU%3D&tabid=158&mid=669

is that a conformant EPS file may also be a DCS file, you can try using InDesign's EPS export and naming the file .dcs and seeing if it works in your workflow. Of course it is unlkely to be seperated as you might like/need/require?

JPEG has no place in an InDesign -> CTP workflow unless you are solely dealing with continuous-tone images without text.

• 4. Re: Can a file be output as a DCS 2.0?
                Agustin Moran Level 1

John, I figured that out once I looked into the separated files realized these were still 8-bit.

FYI- The sceario is in a catastrphy, the main building that houses our pagination & RIPs is no longer available, how do we get workable file that is recognized by our platesetters?

Right now this means 1-bit tiffs.

So, I suppose the right question would be, what would be the simplist way to get an InDesign layout to 1-bit tiff?

And is there a way to output color 1-bit tiff separations?

• 5. Re: Can a file be output as a DCS 2.0?
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Export to PDF.

Depending on your workflow and exact requirements, use either Photoshop or Acrobat Pro to produce TIFFs. You should probably experiment to see which is more desirable.

Or you could go get a pen and start drawing on the plate!

More seriously, maybe you should move the RIP. This all seems quite goofy.

• 6. Re: Can a file be output as a DCS 2.0?
                    Jay Chevako Level 3

Wouldn't you have to print to file to get separations? then run through acrobat distiller, then open the pdf in photoshop and convert to 1 bit with custom screen angles for the different plates? Lord knows what kind of mess you would end up with!

Jay

• 7. Re: Can a file be output as a DCS 2.0?
                      Agustin Moran Level 1

"This all seems quite goofy."

"Lord knows what kind of mess you would end up with!"

Hence my question.

It looks like the 'cleanest' workflow is InDesign to PDF to .tiff with a 'Monochrome' setting.....probably 1200 ppi.

At least for B/W files.

Color files, if that was an option, would probably have the PDF to go  into Photoshop, output as a DCS file.

Open each separated tiff in PS, convert them to 'Bitmap' with the correct angles, then save them again as a tiff!

Kinda messy, but would probably work.