13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2011 5:19 PM by Lewiz RSS

Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem

Lewiz Community Member

Hi everyone,

After updating drivers related (Matrox, NVidia) to the problem and checking the hardware this problem persists:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Application Version: 5.0.3.0

Application Timestamp: 4ce382d1

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17651

Fault Module Timestamp: 4e21213c

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000000cacd

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1043

Additional Information 1: 30ea

Additional Information 2: 30ea564650b9f04e24c8d0b10bbe1000

Additional Information 3: 895c

Additional Information 4: 895c2477ff9dd3b158f6107ec9f936c4

What does kernelbase.dll do anyway? It seems to fail on particular Matrox HD clips, but only when I play them Premiere. It happens when I click the source window first and then the timeline and then start jogging or scrubbing in the timeline. It's the toggling between source and program in Premiere that triggers the appcrash for sure.

So what does Premiere actually do when you switch from source to program monitor in the application itself? I did notice on my HDMI connected video monitor that when switching like mentioned, the monitor loses input signal and is scanning again. So I guess this switching is more complicated for Premiere than one could think.

Any ideas yet? Nothing I tried really made a difference. I starting to panic a little now.

Specs: Windows 7 64 bit, Matrox MX02 LE, NVidia Quadro 4000, 24 GB RAM, 2,66 dual sixcore CPU, mirrored video and OS disks.

Using standard HD Matrox codec for Premiere.

Any help much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
          Harm Millaard Community Member

Try without anything Matrox in the system. Does it still happen?

• 2. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
            Chuck A. McIntyre Community Member

I remember the RT.X100.  There were a lot of things to like, but for us the negatives outweighed the positives.  Hopefully the instability issues are less of a problem with Matrox newer products these days...  I agree, disconnect the Matrox and see if quality of life improves.

• 3. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
              ECBowen CommunityMVP

1: When you switch from source to program monitor, you are switching what is handling the Processing/Drawing on on the screen ie Player/API. The source monitor is just a player like Windows media player and does not include the MPE engine. You have to see what player you have set under preferences in that project to see what player is being used for processing at that time in the source windows.

2: The Program monitor is either using the Adobe Media Player with the MPE engine or the Matrox Player for Decoding and the Adobe Player for Processing with the MPE engine or the Matrox Player with the software engine. Likely what is happening is the Open GL code Matrox used for drawing or GUID is not working with the new Nvidia Open GL 4.2 update and Adobe's API. Atleast that is my guess at this point.

3: I would roll back the Nvidia driver and hope the Open GL code rolls back as well. That should likely fix this until Matrox gets a fix.

BTW by roll back, I mean completely uninstall the new driver and software and restart. Then Install the 280.26 driver.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                Lewiz Community Member

Hi there dear people,

@Harm and Chuck: just as much as de-installing the Matrox Utilities (thus running Premiere in desktop mode so to speak) cleared the entire problem... I must say I am very, very relieved it was not a Windows or hardware issue.

So you were right about that one, the Matrox drivers are involved in some kind of conflict that culminates (and becomes visible) in the failure of kernelbase.dll which, of course, is linked to a lot of other files, therewith increasing difficulty in locating the problem.

Now the first question would be, why does the Matrox driver software all of a sudden cause a conflict when there hasn't been any update since March 2011? Obviously some other (automatic and therefore unnoticed) update initiated the problem, for instance an NVidia update... By the way, the Matrox hardware is pretty OK, and stability has not been 100% but let's say 99% so far, so I should certainly not complain. I remember the RTX100 as well, it seems stability has improved (touch wood).

@Eric: Thanks for your input, it explains for me just that part I needed to know about Matrox/Adobe player, MPE etc. I am going to check whether the NVidia drivers were automatically updated (maybe even by Microsoft ones... oops) and I will try the version you mentioned. Intuitively I would say you brought me closer to the solution.

I am going to check this out today, thanks a lot to all of you!

• 5. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                  Lewiz Community Member

Hi Eric,

I checked the latest version of NVidia driver available for my Quadro 4000 Graphics card, but that would be version 276.14.  So for me, there hasn't been a 280.26 driver available yet... or am I overseeing something?

I found out something else that could be important: the only thing that was updated just before the first crash was a Windows KB critical update with the number KB2603229. This update was installed automatically and I don't fully comprehend its function, but I do know it has something to do with 32-bit apps running on 64-bit Windows versions.

Now as far as I understand, Premiere CS5 is actually 32-bit but the Mercury Playback Engine is 64-bit, right? If that is so, this KB2603229 update could have caused the problem; it might have something to do with the MPE being forced to operate in 32-bit mode or something.... what is your opinion on this one?

I also updated my NVidia card with the latest driver as mentioned but to no avail.

I tried de-installing the KB2603229 thing but obviously this update already influenced too many other files to erase its existence effectively; simply put: this didn't work either.

Would de- and then re-installing Premiere as an attempt to overrule the changes which KB2603229 made be an option? Or, is there any knowledge or experiences on this update? I am 99% sure there is a connection.

By the way, you were right about the Player Settings in Premiere. Choosing "Adobe Player" as the default is a workaround to avoid the kind of crash this discussion is all about. Unfortunately in that case, as you understand, I cannot judge the Source window footage on an external HD monitor any longer. So I am really still looking for the solution without this workaround.

• 6. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                    Harm Millaard Community Member

PR and AME CS5 are 64 bit, Encore and OnLocation are 32 bit, as are some other Adobe applications. Check the Adobe applications in Program Files (64 bit) versus Program Files (x86), which are 32 bit.

• 7. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                      Lewiz Community Member

Hi Harm,

Yep, you're right. I have de-installed every involved piece of software and then reinstalled them: Premiere, Matrox drivers and NVidia drivers. None of this solved the problem. For some strange reason, after having been able to view video and audio output from both my source and program monitor through the MX02 breakout box for almost a year now, I am facing this inevitable impossibility to switch between monitors at all, except when I choose Adobe player as the default.

This however gives me the strong impression that, whatever happened to cause this, probably should be solved at the Matrox side... so you all were right about that one.

If anything should be popping up spontaneously in your minds, like a thinking-outside-the-box type of conclusion or new idea, please let me know. I'll be overloading Matrox with emails now for their point of view.

• 8. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                        ECBowen CommunityMVP

I apologize, I did not notice the Quadro card in your initial post. The version I gave you was for the Geforce cards and the Quadro's have a different version tree. The equivalent Quadro version to the driver I meant was 275.89. However they have a Quadro version that is not released yet on their standard downloads page which has the equivalent features on the latest Geforce. Download this and install after you uninstall all of the Quadro driver/software you currently have.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-tesla-win7-winvista-64bit-285.58-whql-driver.html

Make sure you select the custom install and remove the Nvidia update from the install list if it's there. Try that and see if that helps. If not the try the 275.89 driver.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                          Lewiz Community Member

Hi Eric,

Thanks for replying. I found out about this version confusion, and I tried the 275.89 version, to no avail. I tried the latest one you mentioned (funny to find that one in the beta/archive category of drivers), the 285.58, also to no avail.

In the meanwhile I decided to downgrade the NVidia drivers to version 266.45, which probably was the version installed on my system when I started to work with it in February 2011. I downgraded the Matrox Utilities to the earliest version for Premiere 5.0.3. This made a difference: only ONE project now gives me problems, and that is the same one the trouble all started with.

So I considered the fact I could also be dealing with a corrupt project somehow. To experiment with this, I printed the EDLs of the sequences contained in the mentioned project and started to rebuild them from scratch in a fresh project, in fresh sequences.

So far, there has been no appcrash of any kind. (?)

My new theory is now that either a conflicting Windows update or an automatic NVidia driver update caused the problem in the first place, thereby leaving some kind of traces in the project I was working on at that moment. Consequently, this project seems to be corrupted now.

Because of the NVidia driver issue I consider your answer to be the right one. After all, downgrading solved the problem for all other projects, and even working speed seems a tiny little bit faster (especially switching between source and program monitor). It makes one wonder what the use of automatic updates is anyway... but whatever.

On the other hand I could be back on this forum anytime; my confidence in the Premiere/Matrox combination decreased significantly. Maybe the issue will be back tomorrow... if not today.

Thanks for everything!

• 10. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                            Lewiz Community Member

Hi Eric,

Finally I found the REAL cause of this problem, dear people... you're not going to believe this....

By accident I discarded a multiband compressor effect I had put on one of the audio layers in the faulty sequence in the "corrupt" project. Guess what....

no crashes whatsoever. Infact I had an EQ effect and a Multiband Compressor layered on top of each other.... Maybe it was too much for the sound engine? I don't know.

Anyway, I will trash the Compressor effects, edit everything and THEN apply the Compressor just before exporting. I'll find a workaround.

Never thought it could have anything to do with audio..... I will look through my hardware. Very happy to have found the true cause. Many thanks to all of you!

• 11. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                              ECBowen CommunityMVP

Excellent and thank you for the heads up on the work around.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                                ECBowen CommunityMVP

BTW from what I understand, some of the I/O devices if not all use the default audio device for DSP. Likely that is what you are running into with the plugin and why that would cause a problem.

Eric

ADK

• 13. Re: Premiere Appcrash with Kernelbase.dll as faulty module still the problem
                                  Lewiz Community Member

Yeah, I have three options to choose from concerning audio hardware and drivers: in the first place we have of course Premiere WDM sound, the second is Creative ASIO (I have a Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium card installed as well) and last but not least: Matrox ASIO - to the breakout box.

The strange thing is, that no matter which one I choose, after quitting Premiere and restarting, the preference is automatically forced back to Premiere WDM. But I will be updating drivers again (now that I know this should be harmless enough) to see whether I can make a change there. I can imagine that, indeed, relieving the pressure on the default audio device should improve things. Then on the other hand, having as little I/O devices as possible installed might free up some resources... I will try and have a go.

Cheers!