8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 5:05 AM by Pho Nyan

Trouble defining lists

Pho Nyan

I want the first number of the section headings (1.1, 1.2...) to be that of the chapter. So I set the Chapter head as Level 2, and Section as Level 3, and used ^2.^# to describe the number. But it keeps restarting at 1.1 after a Chapter head. What am I doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 11.46.56.png

Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 11.49.10.png

• 1. Re: Trouble defining lists
          Michael Gianino Level 4

This is a bit outside of the kind of work I normally do, but I gave it a try and I think I have an answer for you.

If we break down what's in your first screenshot from right to left (^2.^#^t) ^t is the tab, ^# is the list number, but I don't think ^2. is what you want. If you wanted to do it manually, 2. would put the number 2 and a dot before the list number, but it wouldn't look to see which chapter it was in—it would just be a 2 and a dot (I think the it would need to just be 2. instead of ^2.).

If you wanted to do it automatically, you would delete the ^2. (with the cursor still to the left of the list number) and go to the fly-out that sits to the right of the Number: field, and select Insert Number Placeholder>Chapter Number, which looks like ^H in code (so you would essentially replace your 2 with an H). One thing that I had to poke around to find was that you may need to go to the fly-out of the book pallet and select Update Numbering>Update Chapter and Paragraph Numbers if it doesn't work right away.

• 2. Re: Trouble defining lists
            Pho Nyan Level 1

Thanks, but I'd tried that already. In ID, the built-in Chapter stuff refers to the document; it assumes that each document is a chapter of a book, which I find quite annoying and confusing. The ^2 indicates Level 2, selected from the drop-down list.

I tested it in a blank document and it seems to work properly.

Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 14.35.51.png

• 3. Re: Trouble defining lists
              Michael Gianino Level 4

Pho Nyan wrote:

In ID, the built-in Chapter stuff refers to the document; it assumes that each document is a chapter of a book, which I find quite annoying and confusing.

What is "the built-in Chapter stuff," and what exactly "assumes that each document is a chapter of a book"?

Pho Nyan wrote:

The ^2 indicates Level 2, selected from the drop-down list.

I thought that the level was determined by what is circled in red in my screenshot.

SS.jpg

• 4. Re: Trouble defining lists
                Pho Nyan Level 1

That is the level of that list. You can select a placeholder for any level list's number, it seems, to insert in the Number field, using the flyout/dropdown list. That results in ^ plus whtever number level you choose, hence ^2 for Level 2.

Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 15.13.14.png

The Numbering and Sections box indicates that each document can only be one chapter; if you want multiple chapters you have to create sections. But there is no option to insert the section number in the numeration.

Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 15.07.21.png

• 5. Re: Trouble defining lists
                  Michael Gianino Level 4

OK, I think we were misunderstanding each other. I thought you were making a book (File>New>Book) with a different InDesign document for each chapter. From your screenshot and description, it seems to me that you have all of the pages of your book in one InDesign document, and you are using Section Starts to mark new chapters. Is this correct?

• 6. Re: Trouble defining lists
                    Pho Nyan Level 1

Right - I'm not making a Book book. I will use sections to help with page numeration (eg I want to put the chapter name and number in the footer), but that shouldn't affect the numbering of paragraphs should it?

The fact I call Level 2 'Chapter head' is irrelevant I think; I could just as easily call it Unit or something else.    

• 7. Re: Trouble defining lists
                      Michael Gianino Level 4

I don't understand how you decided to do it this way, so I don't think I can help you. I don't think this is how levels is intended to work, and I'm not sure how they will stand in for a chapter number within one document. Maybe someone else will be able to help you.

• 8. Re: Trouble defining lists
                        Pho Nyan Level 1

OK, thanks for trying.

I've used levels in a similar way for years, but have never tried to get the

1.2, 1.3... style before. I'm sure it can be done with levels because it is

explained in Help and various websites, but it doesn't work in that document

when I follow the instructions. I'm not sure how else it could be done

without making separate documents for each chapter, which is not practical

for me.