9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 11:24 PM by BKBK

Incrementing a variable in memory

pjlefemine

I have an older application that is querying a list, pulling out an AD from the list, then incrementing the database by +1 with every pull. The site has grown very popular and now the traffic is creating a ton of deadlocks. I tried using CFLOCK but that made things worse.

Instead of writing each increment to the DB, I want to write it to memory and then run a routine which collects that value at some interval and update the DB.

How would I do this? Would I use an Array or some other method? I am not all that familiar with CF.  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Incrementing a variable in memory
          Dan Bracuk Level 5

An application variable might do the trick.

• 2. Re: Incrementing a variable in memory
            insuractive Level 3

Are you doing your incrementing in the same SQL statement as your select or are you performing them as 2 separate queries?  If you are doing 2 database interactions, its probably a good idea to combine them into a multi-statement SQL block or a stored procedure.  Something like this:

<cfquery ...>

Update myADList

SET counter_field = counter_field + 1

WHERE id_field = 2;

SELECT *

FROM myADList

WHERE id_field = 2

</cfquery>

Or, alternatively, this seems like an excellent candidate for an asynchronous process.  Perhaps instead of having a counter field in your List table (which is giving you deadlock read/write problems), you created a new table that logged AD views.  You could capture a lot more details about your viewers (location/IP Address, datetime, etc) which would allow you to analyze your data a little more.  You could then fire the Log insert off as an asynchronous CF thread or an AJAX call.

Hope that helps

-Michael

• 3. Re: Incrementing a variable in memory
              BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

pjlefemine wrote:

I have an older application that is querying a list, pulling out an AD from the list, then incrementing the database by +1 with every pull. The site has grown very popular and now the traffic is creating a ton of deadlocks. I tried using CFLOCK but that made things worse.

Instead of writing each increment to the DB, I want to write it to memory and then run a routine which collects that value at some interval and update the DB.

How would I do this? Would I use an Array or some other method? I am not all that familiar with CF.  Thanks in advance.

A result-set is more or less equivalent to a 2-dimensional array. So you may use an array or a struct to store the data. If the variable involves a user's increment, make it a session variable. Then collect the values within an interval in an application variable, as Dan says.

• 4. Re: Incrementing a variable in memory
                PatLefemin

I researched this using a global application variable and that is exactly what I want to do. My problem now is I have no idea how to do that and generate a unique global variable each time since the variable company_id is always random.

Here is my existing code.

**This section queries my database for current advertisers**

<CFQUERY NAME="GRABCOMPANYINFO" DATASOURCE="bg4" cachedwithin="#CreateTimeSpan(0,0,30,0)#">

SELECT      COMPANY_ID, COMPANY, WEBADDRESS, graphic, flashad

FROM         dbo.COMPANIES

WHERE       (COMPANY_ID = #COMPANY_ID#)

</CFQUERY>

**Once it pulls the ad the below code updates the views in the DB.

<cflock name="bannerkingwrite" timeout="10" throwontimeout="no" type="readonly">

<CFQUERY NAME="UPDATEVIEWS" DATASOURCE="BG4">

UPDATE     dbo.BANNERKING

SET        VIEWS=VIEWS +1,MONTHVIEWS=MONTHVIEWS + 1

WHERE       COMPANY_ID = #COMPANY_ID#

</CFQUERY>

</cflock>

What I want to do is to replace the Update Query above with an application variable.  Any idea how I could do that? 

Thanks -

• 5. Re: Incrementing a variable in memory

<cflock scope="application" timeout="10" throwontimeout="no" type="exclusive">

<CFQUERY NAME="application.GRABCOMPANYINFO" DATASOURCE="bg4">

FROM        dbo.COMPANIES

WHERE       COMPANY_ID = #application.COMPANY_ID#

</CFQUERY>

SET        VIEWS=VIEWS +1,MONTHVIEWS=MONTHVIEWS + 1

WHERE      COMPANY_ID = #application.COMPANY_ID#

</CFQUERY>

</cflock>

• 6. Re: Incrementing a variable in memory
                    pjlefemine Level 1

Thanks, but that is not what I was looking for.

The first query is fine, I would like to remove the second query which updates the views with an application variable. So it would increment the variable in memory and then I can write it out to the database later.

Something similar to this:

<cflock scope = "Application" timeout = "30" type = "Exclusive">

<cfset application.views#company_id# = application.views#company_id# + 1>

</cflock>

This does not seem to work.

• 7. Re: Incrementing a variable in memory
                      insuractive Level 3

You should be able to use CF's structure syntax to dynamically add/refer to named elements in a structure in order to store counts of your company IDs even if you don't know what they will be until run-time.

<!--- Initialize application scoped structure in your application.cfc/cfm--->

<cfset application.stMyApplicationCounter = StructNew()>

<!--- intialize/increment your counter after your query code --->

<cflock scope = "Application" timeout = "30" type = "Exclusive">

<cfif NOT isDefined("application.stMyApplicationCounter['#company_id#']")>

<cfset application.stMyApplicationCounter[company_id] = 0>

</cfif>

<cfset application.stMyApplicationCounter[company_id]++>

</cflock>

That should give you a count for each company ID that has been accessed and you can use the keys in later queries if you like in order to update your counts asyncrhonously.

• 8. Re: Incrementing a variable in memory

I had been cooking up an example. It's along the same lines as Insuractive's.

<!--- immediately after the variable application.COMPANY_ID is created, initialize the number of views for each company_id--->

<cfparam name="application.views['#application.COMPANY_ID#']" default="0">

<cfparam name="application.monthViews['#application.COMPANY_ID#']" default="0">

<!--- later on ... --->

</CFQUERY>

<CFQUERY NAME="application.getViews" DATASOURCE="BG4">

SELECT     VIEWS, MONTHVIEWS

FROM     dbo.BANNERKING

WHERE   COMPANY_ID = #application.COMPANY_ID#

</CFQUERY>

<!--- update the number of views for each particular company_id--->

<cfset application.views["#application.COMPANY_ID#"] = application.views["#application.COMPANY_ID#"] + 1>

<cfset application.monthViews["#application.COMPANY_ID#"] = application.monthViews["#application.COMPANY_ID#"] + 1>

</cflock>

• 9. Re: Incrementing a variable in memory

Referring to my last post, it might be more efficient to join the 2 queries into one. In fact I should have commented out the second query as optional. It now looks a bit confusing -- even to me! You would only run it where you needed to use the current number of views from the database.

</CFQUERY>

<!---

<CFQUERY NAME="application.getViews" DATASOURCE="BG4">

SELECT     VIEWS, MONTHVIEWS

FROM     dbo.BANNERKING

WHERE   COMPANY_ID = #application.COMPANY_ID#

</CFQUERY>

--->

<!--- update the number of views for each particular company_id--->

<cfset application.views["#application.COMPANY_ID#"] = application.views["#application.COMPANY_ID#"] + 1>

<cfset application.monthViews["#application.COMPANY_ID#"] = application.monthViews["#application.COMPANY_ID#"] + 1>

</cflock>

<!--- much later in the code ... --->

SET        VIEWS=#application.views[application.COMPANY_ID]#,MONTHVIEWS=#application.monthViews[appl ication.COMPANY_ID]#

WHERE      COMPANY_ID = #application.COMPANY_ID#

</CFQUERY>

</cflock>