10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 3:17 PM by stephanie1202

Indesign cs5.5 crash error

stephanie1202

I just recently started having this problem after I updated my Indesign program. The program opens fine and I am able to start a document fine but when I try to do anything with the document I get this error and it forces shutdown. I have tried to hit the button that says check for a solution online but nothing comes up.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:          APPCRASH

Application Name:          InDesign.exe

Application Version:          7.5.0.142

Application Timestamp:          4d78c745

Fault Module Name:          LAYERS PANEL.APLN

Fault Module Version:          7.5.2.318

Fault Module Timestamp:          4e7af09b

Exception Code:          c0000005

Exception Offset:          000185c5

OS Version:          6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:          1033

Additional Information 1:          fd00

Additional Information 2:          ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Additional Information 3:          fd00

Additional Information 4:          ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I have tried restoring my computer to before the update. I have a Windows Vista 64 bit computer.

I hope someone can help!

• 1. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
          John Hawkinson Level 5

It is very difficult to get useful crash reports out of Windows Vista. It would appear that there is some problem related to layers with your existing document. You can try exporting it to IDML and opening the IDML. If that does not work, there is probably not much you can do.

If the problem is really related to an update, you could uninstall and reinstall 7.5.0 or 7.5.1 and see if they work better. Perhaps there is a bug in 7.5.2, which just came out last week, so is fairly new.

It is odd to me that your fault text indicates the Application VErsion is 7.5.0.142 instead of 7.5.2.318, but I think it is just using one of the modules that is unchanged from 7.5.0 as the basis for its reporting. Still, I feel like that is odd.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think John may have jumped ahead a little. As he mentioned, getting useful crash reports in Windows is like pulling teeth, and just becasue the roprt says the crash happened in the layers module doesn't necessarily mean it is corrupt.

Before you go through the hassle of reinstalling, you should try the #1 troubleshooting step: Trash the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

• 3. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
              stephanie1202 Level 1

I have been trying to replace my preferences in both ways you have listed, but I can't seem to get either one of them to work. In the second one, to manually do them, I don't have the files you are saying to go to. When I go to C:/user/appdata my next option isn't roaming it's LocalLow then Conduit then Community Alerts then Dialogs, Feeds, LanguagePacks, and Logs. I have made all my hidden files visable but just can't seem to get to where you are saying to go. Do you have any suggestions on where I can find these files? I tried the other way but it was unsuccesful. I managed to pull up the preferences dialog box but was unable to find any place where I could reset the preferences.

• 4. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Err, I don't have a Vista system to test on, but I'd recommend following the instructions carefully.

If not, hold down Control-Alt-Shift when starting InDesign and use that method.

Hopefully Peter's right and the preference reset will cure it!

• 5. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

stephanie1202 wrote:

When I go to C:/user/appdata my next option isn't roaming it's LocalLow then Conduit then Community Alerts then Dialogs, Feeds, LanguagePacks, and Logs. I have made all my hidden files visable but just can't seem to get to where you are saying to go. Do you have any suggestions on where I can find these files? I tried the other way but it was unsuccesful. I managed to pull up the preferences dialog box but was unable to find any place where I could reset the preferences.

Are you really in the right place?

The path to InDesign Defaults is C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\... where <USER> is your user name. Can't tell if you've mistyped the path in your response, or if you are looking in the wrong folder.

The path to InDesinged SavedData looks the same at a quick glance, but is different Instead of the Roaming folder you need to navigate through the Local folder:

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Caches\

In any case, the keyboard shortcut method, if you are fast enough, does the same thing except it doesn't give you a chance to back up the old files, but you have to be VERY quick on the keys -- if you don't see a confirmation dialog try again.

• 6. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
                    stephanie1202 Level 1

Ok I got the Control + Alt + Shirt to delete the preferences but it didn't fix the problem. So I guess next I will try to uninstall the new update, how do I do that?

• 7. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

See my Reply #1. You uninstall all of InDesign and then re-install it. That will be 7.5.0. You can then choose to install or not install the 7.5.1 or 7.5.2 updates.

• 8. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
                        stephanie1202 Level 1

I will try reinstalling as soon as I can. I am away at college and the disc is at home. I am worried since it is the student version that I will have touble reinstalling. But in the mean time, I am alos unable to load my Sims 3 game. All of a sudden it has a launch error and I opened the ea downloader (I read online that sometimes the error occurs because there is something wrong with it) and it had a very similar error message. Could these be linked?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:          APPCRASH

Application Name:          EADM.exe

Application Version:          7.3.0.87

Application Timestamp:          4d4a5909

Fault Module Name:          ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version:          6.0.6001.18538

Fault Module Timestamp:          4cb733e1

Exception Code:          c0000005

Exception Offset:          0001e4c2

OS Version:          6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:          1033

Additional Information 1:          fd00

Additional Information 2:          ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Additional Information 3:          fd00

Additional Information 4:          ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

• 9. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

The student version and the regular version are identical.

You can download the trial version (which is also identical!) from http://adobetrials.com and put in your serial number.

I don't see any relationship between the two APPCRASHes. They both crashed. Totally different modules, one in Windows code (ntdll.dll), one in Adobe code.

But sure, it's always possible someting is terribly wrong with your computer and your Vista installation is borked. Hopefully not, but YMMV.

Good luck, Stephanie!

• 10. Re: Indesign cs5.5 crash error
                            stephanie1202 Level 1

I tried installing again and it worked! I didn't uninstall though, I just put the CD in and it gave me the option to install so I did and now it works fine. Now jst to get my Sims 3 game to work. I tried the same thing but didn't have any luck. Thank you so much for your help!