4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2008 12:26 PM by Newsgroup_User

Two questions

wgb14 Level 1
      Dear All,

I haver two questions on director 11. No matter what I do, director 11 refuses to run normally under windows Vista. I tried the clean script from adobe. I unistall all previous cs3 products, nothing. The only way that I can make it run is to run it as administrator (left click -> run as administrator). Is there anything that I can do?

Also, I wonder if there are any similar solutions for OSControl Xtra out there. I would like to migrate to Director 11, but it seems impossible without having something like OsControl.

many thanks for any replies
        • 1. Re: Two questions
          wgb14 Level 1
          Any ideas?
          • 2. Re: Two questions
            Level 7
            I don't know about the 1st question, you should probably contact Adobe
            directly about it.

I do know that the folks that own OSControls have said that they have no
            plans to update it to D11. Perhaps someone else will buy it from them
            and update it. Perhaps Adobe will. Perhaps no one will. No one knows
            right now. But until someone makes a definitive statement on the
            subject saying that they will do it, I would simply not count on it.
            • 3. Re: Two questions
              SafariTECH Level 1
              I haven't tried D11 itself, but from what I hear it is not structured much different than what 10 was, so I would think the OSControl Xtra would still work.

They have been working on a new version of OSControl that will function properly with Vista via Director MX 2004 ( they let me use a Beta version of it) and it seemed to work very well with a few small issues. As long as D11 will recognize it and allow it to be registered as it used to be, I would try it and see if it will work.

As for running it as Administrator in Vista, as far as I know that is the norm because of how it needs to interact with the OS and therefore be trusted. I develoiped with MX 2004 on Vista the same way and everything worked out great.

I still have to take D11 for a spin on Vista, so maybe I'll find something that heps when I do.
              • 4. Re: Two questions
                Level 7
                "SafariTECH" <contact@safaritech.com> posted in
                macromedia.director.basics:

> I haven't tried D11 itself, but from what I hear it is not structured
                > much different than what 10 was, so I would think the OSControl Xtra
                > would still work.
                >
                > They have been working on a new version of OSControl that will function
                > properly with Vista via Director MX 2004 ( they let me use a Beta
                > version of it) and it seemed to work very well with a few small issues.
                > As long as D11 will recognize it and allow it to be registered as it
                > used to be, I would try it and see if it will work.

I'm interested in hearing what experiences you had with the release version
                in Vista.

With D8.5, it seems to do absolutely everything I need in Vista. Not a single
                trouble report related to OSControls. I've only been able to test here on
                Vista Premium and Vista Ultimate - 32bit for both.

I'm beginning to think D8.5 projectors (and the Xtras I use) are somehow more
                compatible with Vista than MX2004 projectors.

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)