5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2011 8:14 AM by esicmc12

Premier pro 5.5 not compatable with windows 7 64 bit

esicmc12

I have recently spent over 3.5 hours on the phone live only to be told they can't fix the problem of Premier pro shutting down in Windows 7 64bit every time I try to open it.

I was told to install Pro 4.  I have pro 4 and that is why I bought 5.5  Now I can't get pro 4 to work either it also is shutting down.  Has anyone had the problem.  I believe Adobe has left me hanging after spending 495.

• 1. Re: Premier pro 5.5 not compatable with windows 7 64 bit
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Hold down the Alt + Shift keys while Pr launches.  Keep holding them down until the welcome screen appears.  Alt resets your preferences and Shift resets the plug-in cache.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Premier pro 5.5 not compatable with windows 7 64 bit
            Admiral Cook Level 1

Also ensure that you have installed latest drivers for your hardware, especially graphic card one.

What's your hardware specs btw?

I've several computers running Windows 7 and CS5.5 with no problems.

• 3. Re: Premier pro 5.5 not compatable with windows 7 64 bit
              Jim_Simon Level 8

If the above suggestions fail, it's probably time to wipe the slate clean and reinstall Windows and programs from scratch.  It's certainly not normal for both version of PP to be shutting down like that.  Something is clearly wrong with your system somewhere.

• 4. Re: Premier pro 5.5 not compatable with windows 7 64 bit
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I was told to install Pro 4.

Really?!

Premiere Pro CS5.5 is made to work on 64-bit Windows 7. I can't imagine why you would have been told to install Premiere Pro CS4 instead.

Please respond with the case number for the interaction with Adobe Technical Support in which you were given this suggestion. I need to follow up with the person who made that suggestion.

• 5. Re: Premier pro 5.5 not compatable with windows 7 64 bit
                  esicmc12 Level 1

I was finally luckey enough to get a tech on the phone.  To get the tech I had to call sales and explain what was happening , that the 800-833 6687 would get me to choice 2 for tech help and then hang  up.  This happened yesterday 10-28-2011 roughly 18 times.  The sales person was kind enough to stay on the phone and verify what I was saying and go through the connections and get me to a tech who knew what he was doing and take the time to do it.  It took roughly 1hour and 30 minutes to determine that the video card was the problem.  The adobe site lists my card and compatable with the suite.  I took the machine to Best Buy tech

and tried to show him the problem and the system worked.  I recreated the scene at home and found the difference was that BB was using only one monitor.  Premier Pro 5.5 is the only part of the suite that will not work with dual monitors.  For 3 days I have spent countless hours and exausted patience only to solve the problem myself.  So much for Adobe tech help.