11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 12:39 PM by tiltmonster369

Adobe File folder stuff all over the place

tiltmonster369 Level 1

In Premier Elements 9

I am trying to understand the Adobe file folder(in doccuments) and sub folders, and some of the logic to all the file pages going everywhere. It seems like about 8 temporary folders, files, and text messages string all over the place every time I process a video. I think I have got most of them going into the Adobe file folder now, instead of into the finished file folder. I often erase the original file because I shoot in HD to get widescreen, and do not want 2 gig of memory for 5-10 minutes of video. When I do searches, and try to open files; all the old references show up, with nothing to open, and some stuff I know is in the computer; does not want to import into the organizer. I had one AVI. file I just was playing(so I know it is there) but it will not import to the organizer, or load with get media. Even when I try and show it where the file is at; it does not show up there in the organizer window; it just says something like " show me where the file is located" but it is not there to show or select. I go into the folder outside organizer, and it is there, and it plays. Any Ideas how I can better understand some of this. I have not been at this very long, but the organizer does seem to be the most conflicted for me to learn. Also, is there a way to clear out the organizer and kinda start clean; without all the stray buildout folders, temporary files, and text messages, and old imported files? I usually figure out how to do things wrong first; then I have a platform for learning the correct way. I am making a lot of progress with only a few weeks at this; but some of the very basic stuff with the organizer still eludes me. Erasing the Adobe folder seems to get rid of most of the old stuff, then maybe select all, and delete everything in the organizer? Is that a good way to clean house, and start new fresh import projects? Thanks everyone; this program is pretty sweet, but does a lot, and takes getting use to.   

• 1. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In my books I recommend that, whenever you start a new project, you open a new folder for you it. If you keep your project file inside that folder, all of the other rendering, temp, auto-save, etc., file folders will also be inside the same folder.

Deleting the project and all associated temp files then is as easy of deleting that folder.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place
            tiltmonster369 Level 1

Do you mean create a new folder, and put the file (to be opened as a project) into it. Perhaps a sub-folder, inside the folder where I keep raw unedited video; then when I start the new project from the welcome screen, I can browse for the new folder location to store project files associated with it? That sound right? I have done some other things to cause my problems, like changing names, after rendering the project and sharing it. Removing the original, then trying to go back and re-load something that is not there. This will get a handle on part of the problem. All of my first videos were saved via share; then I realized I was losing most of the quality with a WMV format, and had erased some original files, and changed names on some copies. All the clutter was left behind, and no original, or wrong name. It also seemed that the name changes tricked the organizer into thinking the file was there because it would not import under the new name; but could not find it either. I think I did everthing wrong to start but getting it figured out. This suggestion will help. I will address other aspects with a separate post.

I was also trying to go back and edit, or format shared files after dumping the originals; I am not sure how good an idea that is either. Especially formating; since I was trying to re-format a WMV file with 240 resolution, into an M-peg with 480 res. Any feedback is great. I am at a disadvantage because I have poor short term memory and have too learn things different than others. The formating overlap between the camera, the presets, and the shared media compatibility; seem to be the complicated aspect for now, as is the general organizer features. I think I made several errors that created the original problem. This problem exposed several more things I need to learn. I will post those seperate. Thank you this was helpful.

• 3. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For the folder/sub-folder structure, I do the following for each Project:

1. Create a new folder for that Project.
              2. Create a series of sub-folders under that "root folder," such as Videos, Stills, Audio, SFX, Final AVI's, Final AC3's (or WAV's), etc. I then Copy any Assets to their respective folder for Import into the Project.
              3. In Edit>Preferences, locate all Scratch Disks for that Project to Same As Project, so everything is under that Project's root folder.
              4. Share/Export everything to those "Final AVI's," or "Final AC3's" folders.

While there is a very slight performance plus, to separating things on separate HDD's, the above keeps everything in one location, and makes finding each Asset, or output in a single location, for ease of cleanup, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place
                tiltmonster369 Level 1

This sounds good for larger projects for sure. You lost me on the third line with "scratch disks" perhaps Jargon I am not familiar with, as I did not find it under Edit Preferences in Premier. I am assuming you can import the entire batch, or folder into the organizer? HDD's being hard disc directories instead of drives? I am not doing anything too complicated right now; but glad to learn a good way to do it anyway. I seem to get one text file, that foolows the edited video even when the other supporting files, go to another designated folder; and nothing seems to be in it. I am getting a bit better idea how the organizer works. Its not that it is all that complicated, but seems a bit outside the Windows paradigm. I may just figure how everything does not work first; meanwhile I am editing video adding sound anyway. To one degree or another. Need to hone the process now. If you can delineate line 3 a little bit; let me know if the entire composed file, can be imported into the organizer, and how that interacts with the organizer? Where and how it shows up? I still have a lot to learn, but getting stuff in, and organized, is first step. Thank You Bill

• 5. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Scratch Disks (unlike the folders of the same name in Photoshop, and PSElements), is a group of folders, where certain "working files" are located. Their control is accessed via Edit>Preferences. The default location is "Same As Project," but one has control on where they will be placed. The Scratch Disks are for Render Files, Captures, Media Cache (where the Conformed Audio CFA and PEK files go), etc.. With some of these, if one Deletes the files, PrE will automatically regenerate them - CFA and PEK files are an example of this.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place

If you create a new folder for your project file whenever you start a new project, the other sub-folders will automatically be created inside this folder. Nice and neat and easy to clean up later.

No need to make it more complicated than that.

And, for what it's worth, version 10 doesn't lose connections to rendered files the way version 8 and 9 did.

• 7. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place
                      tiltmonster369 Level 1

Good explanation Bill, and the forsight to not confuse the program files, of the same name(I might do that). I will remember this for larger progects, as I assume you get into quite often. Bwtween you and Steve, I think I have got it. Wonder how they got that name Scratch "discs"  and not scratch folders or files. I get the scratch part, like scratch paper perhaps; but disc must rtelate to older jargon; when discs were made for everything; as memory was at a premium. Just thinking to myself. Its all those files and folders that end up all over, more or less. Thank you.

• 8. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place

FWIW, I think the term "scratch disk" goes back to Photoshop, Adobe's first big success. In the days before people had 4+ gigs of RAM, it required a LOT of disk space as virtual memory. It still does, to a certain extent. As do it's video production apps.

• 9. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the naming convention, "Scratch Disks," I have no clue. Photoshop, from at least PS ver. 2.5 (the first for the PC) has used that term. As this was at a time when computers only had 1 HDD, and the only externals were SyQuest 44MB discs, used for shipping files to the ad agency, the sep. house or the printer, one was, even then, dealing with folders. With the advent of multiple HDD's, the name became a bit more "correct," but still one located the PS TMP (working file, for PS's virtual memory, as RAM was still very, very limited to about 1MB, and anything above 640K still had to be managed in some way) files in folders. At a point in time, PS got the ability to use four locations, and have PS span across those four locations, but the allowable size was 4GB. This era was the last time that I used a partition, and it was to create virtual HDD's, just over 4GB for PS's Scratch Disks.

I cannot tell you when any version of Premiere first used a term for its "working files," but would guess that the term "Scratch Disks" was picked up from PS. Now, there are differences between the "Scratch Disks" of PS (virtual memory, only populated by the TMP file, created at start-up and then Deleted, at shut-down. It is, and always was, dynamic, in that the TMP file expanded, or contracted, as one Opened and edited Images, while the Scratch Disks of Premiere are working files, such as Render files, Conformed Audio (CFA's and PEK, Waveform Display files), Capture files, etc. The only "Virtual Memory," that Premiere uses will be that provided by Windows, to supplement installed RAM.

In both programs, one can set the location of these folders, and they can be on one HDD, or can be scattered all over. In the case of Premiere, they are associated with a Project, but in PS, there is no such association, as they are per session, and by design are Deleted, when one properly shuts down the program. Though they differ in many ways, I would assume that the developers of Premiere just borrowed the term Scratch Disks from PS, even considering those differences.

Though I have worked with Pr 6.0, 6.5, 7.0/PrPro 1.0, it was not until PrPro 2.0, that I really got into using the program in a big way. By that time, the term Scratch Disks was well established. Coming from years of PS, the term confused me, as well.

Wish that I had more than a little history, and speculation, but I do not. I would also assume that PrE 1.0 used that term, as it was contemporary with about PrPro 1.0, but I did not come to the program, until PrE 4.0, with but a little usage of PrE 3.0, to compare the changes in the GUI, between those two versions.

Were I charged with coming up with a name, I would have chosen "Working Folders," but Adobe already had a name, when I began editing video with an Adobe product.

If one thinks of Scratch Disks, AS Working Folders, I think that it would be more clear. Also, knowing what is inside of each of those folders, and how that content relates to a Project, will clarify things a bit better.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] I see that Steve has feelings, similar to mine.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place
                            tiltmonster369 Level 1

For now I will be operating pretty simple Steve, so have been doing pretty much what you mention here. The problem with answering a question, is you always get ten more. I think this takes care of my initial problem. I will get back to my other post and ask another, while I hunt the help menus some more. Thank you.

• 11. Re: Adobe File folder stuff all over the place
                              tiltmonster369 Level 1

Sounds like I missed all the fun; back in the days of limited memory, when RAM was 400 dollars a meg, on those 4 meg monster machines. I managed to dump a simple project allready, do to memory(8gig) and trying to render before heading the warning. No real big deal, but it is always the longer edit job that gets ya there. I  do agree, "working folders" would be much better description these days, but ya gotta bridge the past and present somehow. You start calling them working files or folders, the old school guys, will be asking what the hell is a working folder. I thought I was going to have to buy one of those RAP machines, they scratch like a record, for a minute there. I think those are scratch discs. Great Insight.