19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2011 3:08 PM by Peter Spier

No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?

nearpost Level 1

Hi

Recently downloaded the latest updates from Indesign - all EXE and ink files in my computer were taken over by Extension Manager. While getting a techo to fix this - I noticed he deleted a few plugins in Extension Manager, at least I think that's what he did.

Computer now fine, but when re-opening Indesign.

1. No toolbox on left sidebar - tried TAB got nothing.

2. Menu along the top only appears if you click on a text box in previous document

Obviously no toolbar - can't put any text box or images box etc into new document.

When opening Indesign this is what I get.

eg? Can't load Dynamic documentswi.apln  transform panel

Install Transform Panel Plug-in, restart Indesign

Also for Graphic Panel, Output miscui.apln requires Swatches plug-in and a few others object style, transparency ui, text colour panel, text wrao, layout adjustment the list goes on.

And never did get that new update - overlay creator uploaded and working - stalls says it can't open after zip file loads.

A/ Do I need to just reinstall the plug-ins they are asking for - how would I do this? Any help appreciated.

B/ How do I get the new upgrade working if I can't run the zip file?

Thanks

• 1. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Not sure what you mean by "ink" files.

A/ Do I need to just reinstall the plug-ins they are asking for - how would I do this? Any help appreciated.

Step 1: Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990.

It probably won't help, but it's fast and easy and worth trying.

Otherwise, you should Uninstall InDesign (use Add/Remove Programs to remove it) and then reinstall it.

Deleting plugins is inadvisable.

B/ How do I get the new upgrade working if I can't run the zip file?

Sorry, what do you mean by "run the zip file"? Which zip file and what problem are you having uncompressing it?

I'm not a DPS person so I can't advise you about the Folio/Overlay tools, but I would make sure you take the InDesign update without them before you start adding them into the mix.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

John Hawkinson wrote:

Otherwise, you should Uninstall InDesign (use Add/Remove Programs to remove it) and then reinstall it.

This installation sounds so baddly mangled that if you find you need to uninstall you should probably also run the CS5 clean tool before reinstalling: Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
              nearpost Level 1

Thanks Peter

How do you reinstall the prog. I purchased Master Collection cs f.f - but really only have problem with Indesign cs5.5

My Windows 7 says I can uninstall - but doesn't give me an option to reinstall.

I don't have a saved copy of my program - not sure this is even possible..what files would I have needed to save to have a back-up copy?

Also download file is 5gb for the whole Master Collection and my download allowance is about that for a whole month - is there anyway I can get another copy of Indesign only and reinstall it. Sounds like reinstallation is the go.

• 4. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

My Windows 7 says I can uninstall - but doesn't give me an option to reinstall.

Sorry, what? Is there no Add/Remove Programs?

Also download file is 5gb for the whole Master Collection and my download allowance is about that for a whole month - is there anyway I can get another copy of Indesign only and reinstall it. Sounds like reinstallation is the go.

Umm.

Generally speaking the expectation is that you either can download as much as you want, or that you downloaded it and saved it (if you purchased it electronically). You don't still have the installer saved on your hard drive?

You can download the InDesign trial installer, which is indeed the same as the regular InDesign installer.

But.

I am not sure that it will play nice with your Master Collection serial number, though. Worst case, I guess, it will only work for 30 days.

• 5. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                  nearpost Level 1

Thanks John..if I downlaod the indesign trial installer are Adobe likely to let me keep that running given I've aleady purchased the Master collection?

Well could be me - but I can uninstall but doesn't give me an option to reinstall.

Can't find the installer! I certainly wouldn't have deleted anything. Probably just me. What and where should I be looking for the installer...what would the file name look like adobe.installer.exe?

And if I can find it would I be able to reload the whole thing or even just indesign?

• 6. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                    nearpost Level 1

ok got the installer - downloaded indesign - will it write over the other version?? or should I delete that first?

• 7. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

You will almost certainly have to uninstall InDesign first, but the installer should tell you. Try running the installer and see what it says.

• 8. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                        nearpost Level 1

uninstalled Indesign

Downloaded new Indesign trial product

Opened - still no tool bar - bizarre. Not sure where to go now!

Can the toolbar be hidden? Something else I'm missing?

• 9. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Hrmm.

Well, if the relevant InDesign plugin is disabled (whatever provides the toolbar), it can cause this.

There are two ways the plugin could be disabled (at least) -- the file could actually be removed, or the PlugInConfig.txt file could include a line that tells InDesign to ignore it.

Now, I thought that resetting your preferences would have reset the PlugInConfig.txt file. Perhaps not. You should be able to find it in your InDesign preferences folder (consult the preferences resetting instructions for where to find it).

Also, you could run the Extension Manager and see if it lists anything as disabled...

• 10. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                            nearpost Level 1

Ok John thanks for your assistance, appreciate it.

Think I'm out of my depth in terms of ability to follow your instructions and experiment. InDesign plugin disabled makes sense - but where to find how to fix it based on your thoughts above, you've lost me!!

As for Extension Manager I ran it and while everything listed against InDesign is ticked, some are greyed out but they are ticked - (Aside: I can't see any point in this program - I open it and have no idea what's it's supposed or not supposed to do. Other than uninstall stuff. Don't get it's usefulness.)

Pretty frustrating this end - have no idea what to do next. Guess whilst I can look for the plugin's txt file - wouldn't know what to do if I did or did not find them!

What would you suggest? Buy another Indesign? Don't really want to do that -

Alternatively I can "open" txt and image boxes in Indesign by placing a photo or copying some txt from word - then delete both but the boxes remain:) Awesome Adobe 2011:)

• 11. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                              John Hawkinson Level 5

Think I'm out of my depth in terms of ability to follow your instructions and experiment. InDesign plugin disabled makes sense - but where to find how to fix it based on your thoughts above, you've lost me!!

Sorry. In one of the myriad of directories, that file may exist. If it does, you may safely remove it -- then InDesign will use all installed plugin files. (If removing files makes you nervous, as it should, then you can just move it to the Desktop or some other temporary location or name so you could always put it back.)

As for Extension Manager I ran it and while everything listed against InDesign is ticked, some are greyed out but they are ticked - (Aside: I can't see any point in this program - I open it and have no idea what's it's supposed or not supposed to do. Other than uninstall stuff. Don't get it's usefulness.)

I think it's not quite fully baked but that they're planning to improve the situation in the future. Think of it as a work-in-progress.

Pretty frustrating this end - have no idea what to do next. Guess whilst I can look for the plugin's txt file - wouldn't know what to do if I did or did not find them!

Yes, do that. Find it and remove it.

What would you suggest? Buy another Indesign? Don't really want to do that -

It also won't help.

Another computer would work. Oh, you might also try another user account on the same computer.

The preference files I'm thinking of should be per-user (I think).

Alternatively I can "open" txt and image boxes in Indesign by placing a photo or copying some txt from word - then delete both but the boxes remain:) Awesome Adobe 2011:)

Gotta say, I don't think this one is quite Adobe's fault. I suppose they gave you (or your technician) enough rope to hang yourself, but it's not like you should expect the program to work if you randomly go in break off a few pieces on the inside and toss them in the trash...

• 12. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                                nearpost Level 1

If Plugin config.txt is found - is this file and this one only responsible for the whole toolbar down the left of screen?

And also if I remove as suggest - should I ever find it - how will that assist me to get my toolbar back?

Found this text!

Is this of any use. Or just a read only piece of code.

Thanks again John - must be frustrating for you - I'm getting more confused every file I search in:)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Configuration>

<VariableForExMan>

<Data key="UserExtensionFolder">$UserDataFolder/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5.5/Configuration/Extensions</Data>

<Data key="$indesign">$InstallFolder</Data>

<Data key="$indesign_user">$UserDataFolder/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5.5</Data>

<Data key="DisplayName">InDesign CS5.5</Data>

<Data key="GlobalProductName">Adobe InDesign CS5.5</Data>

<Data key="ProductName">InDesign</Data>

<Data key="ProductVersion">7.5</Data>

<Data key="HostNameForCSXS">IDSN</Data>

<Data key="IconPath">Configuration/Icon.png</Data>

<Data key="SupportedInSuite">CS5.5</Data>

<Data key="DefaultLocale">en_GB</Data>

<Data key="NeedLockableExtension">true</Data>

<Data key="ShowInstalledFiles">true</Data>

<Data key="Bit">32</Data>

<Data key="PreExtensionFolder">$SharedCommonDataFolder/Adobe/InDesign/Version 7.5/en_GB/Extensions</Data>

<Data key="EmStorePath">$SharedCommonDataFolder/Adobe/InDesign/Version 7.5/EmStorePath</Data>

<Data key="PluginConfigFile">$UserDataFolder/Adobe/InDesign/Version 7.5/en_GB/PlugInConfig.txt</Data>

</VariableForExMan> 

</Configuration>

• 13. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                                  nearpost Level 1

http://indesignsecrets.com/rebuilding-indesign-preferences.php

John found this page - did what it said and hey presto the tool bar has returned!!! This boy is happy!

Which now takes me back to the original problem.

I was following Terry White's update on Scroll Bar in Indesign - and headed off to get my latest Update from Adobe site.

Which was the one that enables scroll bars. When you open Overlay Creator you need to see PAN highlighted - I can't make that happen in my version.

The download from Adobe site stuffed everything, got rid of all my EXE files and some other stuff - but now we're fixed. I downloaded again but nuttin, still no ability to create a scroll.

1. Given my probs would you risk downloading again, or be happy with what I've got?

2. Now I'm operating again I should back up Indesign files?

Do I just copy them to a disk or another file on this computer - and all files under Indesign in my Adobe folder? Is this correct.

Thanks again for your patience.

• 14. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?

nearpost wrote:

http://indesignsecrets.com/rebuilding-indesign-preferences.php

John found this page - did what it said and hey presto the tool bar has returned!!! This boy is happy!

That was actually the very first thing John suggested......

"Step 1: Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990."

• 15. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                                      nearpost Level 1

Cheers Peter, That thread didn't open so although John suggested it - I couldn't find the thread.

What do you suggest I do with updates? Should I try again or just leave as is?

Thanks guys

• 16. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                                        John Hawkinson Level 5

That thread didn't open so although John suggested it - I couldn't find the thread.

FYI, in the future, please tell us if you don't understand something we recommend or suggest.

I told you to do a bunch of things that I would never have done if you had reset your preferences -- and I assumed that you had done what we asked!

Thanks.

p.s.: take the updates.

• 17. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?

John,

There's is, indeed, something odd about the link you are posting -- it tries to go to http://forums.adobe.com/526990 instead of http://forums.adobe.com/THREAD/526990 so you might want ot fix the shorcut on your end.

• 18. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?
                                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Peter: Spesssssshial. I'm pretty sure I just cut-and-pasted it from the Overview section of the ID forum, so I have no explanation. Seems like it would take special effort to get the text right but the link wrong. Something to watch out for!

• 19. Re: No tool bar in Indesign - can you reinstall plugins? How?

Very strange. The link on the main page definitely works I just tried it, and it copies correctly here, too.