5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2011 11:25 AM by Mylenium

Fog 3D

glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys

I'm with CS5 on Win7 64bit and trying to make an effect of the camera moving through fog towards a title, I've been trying the Fog 3d filter but nothing seems to happen. I've tried dragging the effect on to a solid layer (with various settings) or dragging direct onto a clip but nothing happens (not even a still of fog).

In my surfing, I found a comment that suggested it only works with some form of 3rd party file/ model or plug-in; is this correct or am I overlooking something blindingly obvious? Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Regards,

Graham

• 1. Re: Fog 3D
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yupp, it uses the Z-buffer of RLA/ RPF files. It's easy to replicate this, though. Z-buffer fog is essentially just a luma matte were the distance defines the greyscale values and hence the amount of "fog". In your case you'd simply animate the text layer in a normal comp, then use an opacity fade. Then you use the resulting comp as a matte for a solid or a layer with Fractal Noise in anotehr comp to produce the foggy effect. You may just need a duplicate comp so your text layer can be white and you can use another color and styling on the text in your other comp and you will of course have to combine the fog comp with teh original text again by layering them on top of one anotehr...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Fog 3D
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

from the After Effects Help document for Fog 3D effect:

"Note:  As with all effects in the 3D Channel effects category, the Fog 3D effect depends on depth information from image sequence files of the kind rendered out of a 3D application."

• 3. Re: Fog 3D
              glaustin Level 1

Thanks for the replies. A little more complicated than I hoped but hopefully I can replicate as Mylenium suggests.

Out of interest, is there a cheap 3d package I can make and render RPF/ RLA files from or are they all in the Max3D/ Lightwave price bracket?

• 4. Re: Fog 3D
                bogiesan Level 4

Blender. Free. Umm, I can't answer the RPF/RLA question.

bogiesan

• 5. Re: Fog 3D
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, Blender does RPF and as a bonus you can already do some neat compositing inside it's material/ compositing tree. Depending on what you want to render, there are also more affordable commercial 3D packages like Carrara to get you started.

Mylenium