2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2011 4:32 PM by Frustrated in AZ

Which ereader to buy?

maricou@hotmail.com

I'm having difficulty deciding which ereader to buy which will best support ADE. Any suggestions? Sounds like ADE is incompatible with Sony PRST1 which is what I was thinking of getting. I'm just looking for a simple ereader.

• 1. Re: Which ereader to buy?
          Deb Smith-Cohen

The answer will vary depending on how you expect to use the reader, how little or how much you expect of other functions, what your patience is with not-quite-there technology, and whether you have friends with readers with whom you'd like to share books (among other things).  Do read the Sept. 2011 Consumer Reports comparison of ereaders.  Then update yourself on the features of the newest Kindle release (which came after the CR review).  Also, see http://news.cnet.com/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy

You don't say why you're looking for compatibility with Digital Editions.  Most ereader users don't especially care about the reader software, except insofar as it causes usability issues.

Deb

Owner of Original Nook, & Color Nook & user of Kindle for PC and frequent user of OverDrive ebooks from public libraries.

• 2. Re: Which ereader to buy?
            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I'd like to add a couple of points to these ideas.

Determine whether features such as backlighting, long battery life (even

when turned off), scalable fonts, and compatibility with other sources than

the manufacturer are important to you.  Ereaders from Amazon (Kindle),

Barnes & Noble (Nook) and SONY to name three may be so tightly connected to

their respective websites that you may be forced to obtain all of your

ematerial from them (Amazon in particular).  Adobe Digital Editions is

designed to be more 'open source' - that is that ADE supports a variety of

ereaders, based on how they handle certain industry-standard formatting

features and digital rights.  If you want to download ebooks from the

widest possible spectrum, or if you'd be just as happy with the services

from your ereader's manufacturer, then you'll be able to make the right

choice for you.

=================