10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 9:17 AM by project17

Error Compiling Movie

project17 Level 1

Hi,

Randomly, but lately more often than not, upon export of a movie I get the "Error Compiling Movie" generic, completely unhelpful message telling me my render has failed.  What makes it worse is that it happens after about 80% to 90% of the export.  I'm exporting 20-23min shows.  I love the edit experience in Premiere Pro, but cannot stand, nor do I have much faith in the export process.  Final Cut handles exporting much much better and is so much more stable in that respect.  I work freelance with numerous clients in their studios.  Some have Avid DS, some FCP and a couple thinking about transitioning to PPro CS5.5.  DS is by far the best, but for the edit experience PPro runs a close second. 

However, I can't recommend PPro for broadcast work if we can't export reliably. 

Does anybody else come across the error?  I don't have any crazy effects going on.  In fact this current timeline has a few clips with MB Looks.  Other than that, there are a few static jpgs (acting as placeholders), but really that's it.  I'm trying to render off a preview for my client and i'm constantly getting this error.  I've restarted, created new timelines.... i'm really going out of my mind here.  If the error would tell me something or give me some indication of what the problem is I could take some action but...

Anybody with some info/suggestions, you help would be greatly appreciated.

Right now i'm on a

MacPro 10.7.2 (lion sorry..)

2.93ghz

12gb ram

Nvidia Quadro 4000

Decklink 3D Extreme

• 1. Re: Error Compiling Movie
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here's some information about various variants of that message:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/906/cpsid_90670.html

• 2. Re: Error Compiling Movie
            project17 Level 1

Thanks Todd. 

Unfortunately it doesn't really help as I'm getting the "unknown error".  Basically i have to take stabs in the dark when trouble shooting. 

My first step is to always restart my system.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I always close down any other programs.  It's really hit or miss as to why the movie won't encode.  For the most part I'm exporting back out to the format I'm editing in (i.e. XDCam HD 1080 29.97 50Mbs) If I didn't have deadlines, I wouldn't mind as much.  But when I'm trying to get something out as quick as possible, not knowing why it won't export is brutal. 

With MPE and Decklink I love all the real-time (or close to real time) playback capabilities.  I love the whole interface and the way PPro deals with effects, how it interacts with the whole adobe suite (although Dynamic Link can crash any system i'm on, so I just export out my comps instead of dynamically linking them), but when it comes to final export I'm always crossing my fingers hoping it'll work.  With FCP i can just export and know in a certain amount of time, my movie will be there.  I just don't like the edit experience in FCP as much.

The stides PPro has made since 1.0 have been awesome... hopefully it just keeps getting better.

• 3. Re: Error Compiling Movie
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The "unkown error" variant  of that error message is basically Premiere Pro saying that it doesn't know why the failure happened.

You didn't say what exact version of Premiere Pro you're using. Have you installed the most recent updates? They fix a lot of bugs, including some crashes.

Do you have this problem on a system without the Decklink?

• 4. Re: Error Compiling Movie
                project17 Level 1

We're running 5.5.0 so haven't updated yet.  We are in the midst of delivering a couple of shows and haven't taken the time (which I know we should).

I have encountered it on a system without the Decklink too. 

With exports over the last day and night I've found that restarting the system right before I export seems to be the safest way to go.  I did that twice and both times the export was successful.  Also with both, I tried exprorting without restarting and they were not successful. 

I will update today and see how things go from there.

• 5. Re: Error Compiling Movie
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

One possibility is you have delayed start programs running in the background that somehow interfere with the export process.  After a restart, those processes haven't turned on yet, so you get a successful export.

• 6. Re: Error Compiling Movie
                    project17 Level 1

Thanks Jim... I'll look into that

• 7. Re: Error Compiling Movie
                      Jim Curtis Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

One possibility is you have delayed start programs running in the background that somehow interfere with the export process.  After a restart, those processes haven't turned on yet, so you get a successful export.

This is my experience as well.  Reboot the computer.  That's right... just like you had to do in OS9.

• 8. Re: Error Compiling Movie
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Well, the better long term solution if my guess is correct would be to turn off those processes permanently.  There's nothing that the OS needs to run that will interfere with Adobe apps.  So if something is interfering, it's a process that doesn't actually need to run.

• 9. Re: Error Compiling Movie
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Jim's suggestion of turning off certain applications that start when the computer starts is a good one. See this video for some details:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-5361.htm

• 10. Re: Error Compiling Movie
                            project17 Level 1

Thanks Todd,

Lots of good info in your video.  As with what Jim said, I'll be double checking all processes and making sure nothing irrelevant is running. 

I did update to 5.5.2 yesterday and did an export on a 25min episode leaving a bunch of other programs running.  I didn't restart, didn't really do anything to "help" PPro before the export.  I was expecting to see the same error but to my surprise the show exported successfully.

I'll do a few more tests today, but so far, things are looking up...