How, exactly, were you setting up the result that you wanted in Premiere Pro?
Also, when asking a question, it is best to give certain basic information:
What version of Premiere Pro? Have you installed the recent updates? What operating system? What kind(s) of source footage? Has this ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware. Are you using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration? Does the problem only happen with your final output, with previews, or both?
My first guess is an export error. Such as working in an SD sequence and using HD export settings.
Todd - with the four on a screen thing I was using motion to resize to 50% and position in the four corners. For the two on a screen I was only using crop... Some of the issue in the video was me being sloppy but I still ended up with problems... although it looked fine when I did playback from within the tool - see below...
Jim - YES... that's it! Actually it was HD inports from my contour camera and then export to SD...but yes. When I changed the export to a "wide" setting the problem went away.
Glad that you got things handled, and are now pleased.
When doing PiP/Split Screen/Photo Wall work, I find that some simple alignment grids can save quite a bit of time, and trial and error. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.