1 2 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2011 10:58 AM by MurraySummers

separate menus within a template

madhaka Level 1

In a template controlled site, I would like to have horizontal menus in some of the individual pages.

I get a message saying that I can't put a menu in an editable region when I try to set it up in the template.

And I hit the same problem when I try to place the menus one by one in the separate pages. Is there a

workaround this limitation?La Vida template.jpg See the menu items at the bottom of the page. I would like to have them different in every sub page. Different items, different number of items and sometimes none. How do I do that? Sub-menus would be different from the intended effect of discoveering choices in each page, with pictures suggesting what the options are about. I know how to do that, but would like to have it generalized as horizontal menus at the bottom of certain pages.

• 1. Re: separate menus within a template
          MurraySummers Level 8

Make an editable region where you want to put these menus.  Create the menus either as Library items or server-side includes.  Drop them into the editable regions as needed.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: separate menus within a template
            madhaka Level 1

OK Got it. Now I'll go find out how you set up a menu spry as a library item; give it a try and report back. Thank you.

• 3. Re: separate menus within a template
              madhaka Level 1

OK I created a library object; but when I try to insert a spry menu, the

entire spry submenu is grayed out under the insert menu. How can I

get around this?

I do not wish to pursue the server-side alternative because I would like

to be as independent as possible from my web hosting service provider.

• 4. Re: separate menus within a template
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not wish to pursue the server-side alternative because I would like

to be as independent as possible from my web hosting service provider.

Can you elaborate?

SSIs are as independent as Library items.

Except SSIs are vastly more powerful and easier to update.

• 5. Re: separate menus within a template
                  madhaka Level 1

OK John I'll go look up Server Side Includes. But can you tell me how I can set a spry menu within a library item?

• 6. Re: separate menus within a template
                    John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See this discussion

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3408740

Converting a Spry Menu Bar to a Server-Side Include

http://foundationphp.com/tutorials/sprymenu/ssi.php

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: separate menus within a template
                      madhaka Level 1

I'm on it.

• 8. Re: separate menus within a template
                        madhaka Level 1

OK John, I created a Server Side Include called menu_space, and then inserted it into the editable portion of the template. Works fine. It seems really very useful to know about these possibilities. Thank you very much.

However, and true to the purpose of SSIs, the menu bar included is bound to be the same on every page. That is what I am trying to find an alternative to. The need here is to have different choice menus on each one of the site pages. Some with 4 items, some with 2 or 3 and some with none.

For instance, my problem is with a website that introduces architects and developpers to the very diverse possiblities of designing in harmony with the natural environment. So there is a section on Architecture, one on Planning, one on Ecology, one on Design etc... And within each section there is a smorgasboard of projects that illustrate what the possibilities are. Now I could have a main menu running through the entire site, with submenus giving you access to each one of the projects in each one of the categories; no pix, just lists.

But as a designer I choose not to overload the main menu and I wish to have the visitor discover the choices when he/she opens the different sections. Fair enough, isn't it? Also, I would like to have a picture next to each project name to entice the user to look into it and find out some more. So it seems to me that that would require a separate horizontal menu at the bottom of each page, with the corresponding thumbnails above each menu item. That is to say, I need menu bars that I can edit differently in every page.

Is this possible? And what in your opinion would be the best approach?

• 9. Re: separate menus within a template
                          MurraySummers Level 8

You will have to have a different menu include file for each section.  You could also use CSS or server scripting or custom JavaScript to build the section-specific menus. How many different versions of that menu do you think you would need?

• 10. Re: separate menus within a template
                            madhaka Level 1

About 5 or 6.

• 11. Re: separate menus within a template
                              MurraySummers Level 8

Then just use separate include files.  Personally, I'd use some PHP to manage the differences, but that's a totally different thread....

• 12. Re: separate menus within a template
                                madhaka Level 1

All right, I could get a horizontal menu bar with its CSS packed inside a SSI.

Then clone it, adapt it, and name it for each separate site page. Works for me.

Now, I would like to have a small interactive picture above each menu item.

I could do that by placing thumbnails above each menu key and equipping

them with hotspots directed to the same link as the menu item. That works.

My question is: 'Can I make the menu keys larger; and place the glyphs on

them directly? Is there a mechanism for that?' Thank you very much so far.

• 13. Re: separate menus within a template
                                  madhaka Level 1

I'll be getting to PHP after this. Interactive code is where I come alive.

But I'm totally new to site development and online apps. My experience

is in standalone applications to graphically model ecosystems. Apps is

where I'm heading, but I'll have to do a bunch of tutorials first. Thanks.

• 14. Re: separate menus within a template
                                    MurraySummers Level 8

All right, I could get a horizontal menu bar with its CSS packed inside a SSI.

Nope - the CSS for it should be in the parent page's CSS, not in the include file.  Include files must be a true code fragment (for DW at least), containing neither <html>, <head>, nor <body> tags, and no linked CSS.

My question is: 'Can I make the menu keys larger; and place the glyphs on

them directly? Is there a mechanism for that?' Thank you very much so far.

Sure - place images of the glyphs as non-repeating and positioned background images for the anchor tags.

• 15. Re: separate menus within a template
                                      madhaka Level 1

Hang on. Will try glyphs as non repeating background for anchor tags.

Not sure what that means, but will find out. Thanks for the CSS pointer.

Guy

• 16. Re: separate menus within a template
                                        MurraySummers Level 8

<a href="foo.html" style="display:block; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:left 3px; background-image:url(path_to_glyph_file.jpg);padding-left:35px; height:40px;">

Like that (except I've shown inline styles for clarity - probably should be in a stylesheet).

• 17. Re: separate menus within a template
                                          madhaka Level 1

Will give it a try, and report back.

• 18. Re: separate menus within a template
                                            madhaka Level 1

Having trouble inserting your snippet of code into my menu SSI.

Here's how I've been trying to do it with no visible effect.

<div class="menu_arch" id="menu_arch">

<ul id="MenuBar1" class="MenuBarHorizontal">

<li><a href="#">Claret_Gym<

style="display:block;

background-repeat:no-repeat;

background-position:left 3px;

background-image:url(images/132_Cabair.jpg);

padding-left:35px;

height:40px;">

</a></li>

<li><a href="#">Provence_Cabin</a></li>

<li><a href="#">NZ_Barn</a></li>

</ul>

<span id="menu_arch"></span></div>

where Claret_Gym is the text label for the first menu item.

Could you please give me a hint? Am I close?

• 19. Re: separate menus within a template
                                              MurraySummers Level 8

The CSS would have to go in the opening anchor tag, like this -

<li><a href="#" style="display:block;

background-position:left 3px;

background-image:url(images/132_Cabair.jpg);

padding-left:35px;

height:40px;">Claret_Gym</a></li>

My heights and paddings were all fictitious, not knowing how large your image was - how big is 132_Cabair.jpg?

• 20. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                madhaka Level 1

Am still not getting it to work.

Maybe because I set some generalized pix background options in the menu_arch SSI.

Been doing too much voodoo tweaking. Will dig in there and try to unset them and see.

I did accidentally manage to get the buttons to switch between 2 different pix according

to the cursor hoover position. Interestinger and interestinger.

All the thumbnails are in the 120 x 90 pix range, and could easily be made uniform at that size.

• 21. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                  madhaka Level 1

With this code in the main CSS I do get the image to display under the first menu item.

However, if I try to place a second image it simply substitutes for the first. I can't get them

to sit side by side. Also, the only way I can get the image to move left is with the

instruction 'background-position:top ###px;'. Now isn't that strange?

#menu_arch {

height: 90px;

width: 750px;

position: relative;

left: 120px;

bottom: 15px;

<li><a href="#" style = "display: block;

background-position:top 225px;

background-image:url(../images/Clar_Gym.jpg);

padding-right:3px;"   

>Claret Gym</a></li>

}

Apparently I can either include <li><a href="#" and >Claret Gym</a></li>

and it doen't seem to change the results on the page.

So it sort of works, but not quite there yet

• 22. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                    MurraySummers Level 8

With this code in the main CSS

But that code is horked.  It is a melange of CSS and HTML that is just completely invalid.

This could go in your CSS -

#menu_arch {

display: block;

background-position:top 225px;

}

It will target everything in the menu_arch container with the same styles, i.e., every element will have the same background image, and the same height/width.  And why are you using the position:relative?

If you want each menu element to have a DIFFERENT background image, then you would have to assign each menu element a unique ID and specifically target it with your CSS, e.g.,

#menu_arch {

background-position:top 3px;

}

#menu_arch #option1 {

}

#menu_arch #option2 {

background-image:url(../images/whatever.jpg);

}

etc.

and -

<li><a href="#" id="option1">Claret Gym</a></li>

if I try to place a second image it simply substitutes for the first.

Yes - your code was poor.

Also, the only way I can get the image to move left is with the

instruction 'background-position:top ###px;'. Now isn't that strange?

Not at all.  The background-position style specifies the left and top locations.  Your code says to put the image at the top AND at ###px left.

• 23. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                      madhaka Level 1

Please bear with me just a bit more. I do value your generous help.

With this code:

#menu_arch {

background-position:180px 12px;

padding-right:3px;

}

I get this result

Menu pix.jpg

That makes me pretty happy. Of course, it would be nice if the picture were on top of the menu item and not behind it. Also, I still haven't acheived the placement of one pix for each menu item. To that effect I adapted the code as I thought I understood your directives; which is this way in the CSS file:

#menu_arch {

background-position:180px 3px;

}

#menu_arch#option1 {

}

#menu_arch#option2 {

background-image:url(../images/120_Herb_Brn_Sol.jpg);

}

and at the same time the following modif in menu_arch.shtm file:

<li><a href="#" id="option2">Alps Cabin</a></li>

<li><a href="#" id="option3">NZ. Barn</a></li>

</ul>

<span id="menu_arch"></span></div>

But this doesn't display the pictures at all, for the time being.

Can you tell what I am doing wrong at this point?

• 24. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                        MurraySummers Level 8

Why this?

<span id="menu_arch"></span>

You can't reuse an id value on any given page.

Try this code on your page and see if that gets you closer (put the sections in the appropriate place on your page) -

<style type="text/css">

#MenuBar1 {

width:650px;

list-style-type:none;

margin:0;

padding:0;

overflow:hidden;

height:90px;

}

#MenuBar1 li {

background-position:10px 3px;

float:left;

padding-left:90px;

}

#MenuBar1 #option1 {

}

#MenuBar1 #option2 {

background-image:url(../images/120_Herb_Brn_Sol.jpg);

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<ul id="MenuBar1">

</ul>

</body>

• 25. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                          madhaka Level 1

OK So I punched your code as is into the CSS file.

By default in this case MenuBar1 refers to the vertical menu in the DWT comon to all pages.

To reference our horizontal menu from the SSI, I believe it could be #menu_arch#MenuBar1.

So I tried this, including the the style and head labels and the body code in the CSS.

Is this correct?

<style type="text/css">

#menu_arch#MenuBar1 {

}

#menu_arch#MenuBar1 li {

}

#menu_arch#MenuBar1#option1 {

}

#menu_arch#MenuBar1#option2 {

background-image:url(../images/Alps_Cabn.jpg);

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<ul id="MenuBar1">

</ul>

</body>

It comes out like this. But has no effect on the page. Still not with it. Sorry.

• 26. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                            madhaka Level 1

Would it help if I posted the relevant files, the HTML, the CSS and the SSI together with the pictures (main, gym, cab and barn)? Is there an option to attach files to a post?

• 27. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                              MurraySummers Level 8

Is this correct?

<style type="text/css">

#menu_arch#MenuBar1 {

}

#menu_arch#MenuBar1 li {

}

}

}

</style>

No.  Your selectors are not properly formatted.  It should be this -

#menu_arch #MenuBar1 {

}

#menu_arch #MenuBar1 li {

}

#menu_arch #MenuBar1 #option1 {

}

#menu_arch #MenuBar1 #option2 {

}

Your selector "#menu_arch#MenuBar1#option1" would only apply to an element that has this ID -

id="menu_arch MenuBar1 option1"

if it were possible, but you cannot have spaces in an id attribute's value.  When you separate these values with spaces in the selector -

#menu_arch #MenuBar1 #option1

you are specifying that the styles apply to an element with id of 'option1' that is contained in an element with id of "MenuBar1" that is contained in an element with id of "menu_arch".  That should work.

Would it help if I posted the relevant files, the HTML, the CSS and the SSI together with the pictures (main, gym, cab and barn)? Is there an option to attach files to a post?

No.  As we have been saying all along, what would help is to upload the file and its dependents to some webspace and post a link to it.

• 28. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                madhaka Level 1

Here's the CSS code. I believe it is exactly yours. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

#menu_arch#MenuBar1 {

width: 650px;

margin: 0;

padding: 0;

}

#menu_arch#MenuBar1 li{

background-position:10px 0px;

}

}

}

Herer's the SSI code:

</ul>

When I took out the redundant ID, the menu disappeared from the page screen.

Here's the link to the site page under construction.

www.la-vida.com/clone

I've uploaded the recent files to it.

How do I make them accessible for you to download?

• 29. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                  MurraySummers Level 8

You are wrong.   You still have NOT put spaces to separate the various ID values in your selectors, i.e., not this - #menu_arch#MenuBar1 but this - #menu_arch #MenuBar1

• 30. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                    madhaka Level 1

Here's the modification

#menu_arch #MenuBar1 {

width: 650px;

margin: 0;

padding: 0;

position:180px 240px;

}

#menu_arch #MenuBar1 li{

background-position:10px 0px;

}

#menu_arch #MenuBar1 #option1 {

}

#menu_arch #MenuBar1 #option2 {

}

Still no effect on the page.

The files have been uploaded to the site: www.la-vida.com/clone

how should I make them accessible to you for downloading?

• 31. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                      MurraySummers Level 8

how should I make them accessible to you for downloading?

Forget it.  I can't help any more without seeing the live page - it's just too hard to do this without the complete picture.  You can save the page with a temporary name and upload it *and its dependents* to your webspace.

• 32. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                        madhaka Level 1

Got it posted. Took some doing, but there you have it.

Go to www.La-Vida.com then to the downloads section

The index.html is the home page, the arch.html is the page for

architecture where we are trying to set up the first hotizontal menu.

There is the main.dwt which is the template for the site, and the

arch_menu.shtml which is the horizontal menu SSI.

The pictures are self evident, with the 2 page banners, the 3 menu

thumbnails and one company logo picture that is used on home.

Let me know if that works for you, or if there is something else.

• 33. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                          MurraySummers Level 8

You don't get it.  I don't want to download anything.  I want to browse to a page and see it live.  Read my previous post again, and please do that.

• 34. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                            madhaka Level 1

You have the original done in Networksolution's Image Café at www.la-vida.com

and the reproduction we're making in DreamWeaver at www.la-vida.com/clone.

• 35. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                              madhaka Level 1

BTW There's this discrepancy between this f12 test done in the DW environment

and this live test done on line at www.la-vida.com

Test DW.jpg

Test live.jpg

• 36. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                                MurraySummers Level 8

The link to main_menu.css is not found.

There is a missing Spry folder.

The page has no indication of the horizontal section menu you have been posting questions about.  It's hard to know which of us is more confused.

• 37. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                                  madhaka Level 1

In the development folder I am using for Dream Weaver there is

SpryMenuBar.js

SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css

SpryMenuBarVertical.css

and 4 gif pix representing down, right, downhoover, end righthoover,

I uploaded the exact same ones to the site in the clone folder

The main_menu.css was missing from the site. Now it's there and it

looks much better. Thank you for the pointer.

The horizontal menu would be menu_arch.shtm which I haven't gotten

to show on the site for some time now, although it did at the beginning.

Witness the adjoining picture. Haven't gotten it to show since then.

Menu pix.jpg

Is arch_menu.shtm the way it is supposed to be labeled?  That's the way I have it on the site.

• 38. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                                    MurraySummers Level 8

Wouyld it be possibe for you to upload this exact page that you are showing in this most recent

post, and give me the link to that?  Please make sure that if you are using a server-side include you have also uploaded it.

Is arch_menu.shtm the way it is supposed to be labeled?  That's the way I have it on the site.

You can call it (or any include file) "whatever.monkeybutt" if you want (no sarcasm intended).  It's not the files being included that you have to worry about nomencalture with, it's the parent file that contains the include directive.  You have to have a way to notify the server that the file contains those include directives so that the server can parse the code for them, and with ordinary HTML includes, the "*.shtml" extension does that.

• 39. Re: separate menus within a template
                                                                                      madhaka Level 1

OKay. Thanks again for your patience.

The last page I posted on the forum was from 3 days back. At some point it stopped showing the

horizontal menu, and I was not able to get back to where it did. That articular stage hadn't been

backed up.

By upload do you mean, cut and paste into this post, or is there a file sharing mechanism on this site.

The files are all backed up on my server, but only the most recent versions are there. I'll tweak around

until I get it to show the horizontal menu again, and then upload it. Where should I upload it to?

1 2 Previous Next