3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 10:47 AM by Flex harUI

Text Layout Framework: I can not input Japanese.

jamyzhang

Hi,

Our customers report that they can not input Japanese language in the TLF textarea. I encounter the same problem in the adobe TLF demo:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/textlayout/demos/

Does anybody else experience the same problem?

Flex SDK: 4.0

Flash: 10.3.183

• 1. Re: Text Layout Framework: I can not input Japanese.
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

In Flex, a component has to implement IIMESupport otherwise IME will be disabled for it, and it has to be written to respond to IME events.  I don’t have the source code to that component, but I suspect it simply wasn’t written to support IME.  The regular Flex TextArea component should, though, and I was able to input japanese into the ComboBox at the bottom left.

• 2. Re: Text Layout Framework: I can not input Japanese.
            jamyzhang Level 1

I can not input the japanese into the ComboBox at the bottom left either.

Text layout framework declares that "Bidirectional text, vertical text and over 30 writing systems including Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Lao, the major writing systems of India, and others".

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/textlayout/

We use the original TextArea in TLF as the text input and do not implement IMESupport. I do not think we should implement the IMESupport either since it is a more advanced rich textbox that supports many features.

Does someone can help me with this?

• 3. Re: Text Layout Framework: I can not input Japanese.
              Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I tried Win 7 in IE with FP 11.  I can definitely input japanese in the combobox and even in the big text area.  Are you using IME or a japanese keyboard? I’m using the IME and setting to hiragana.

If you are using Flex to create your application, you will need to use a Flex TextArea or implement IIMESupport, or find your own way of enabling the IME.

You will need 4.1 or later in order to get bi-directional text support in Flex.