9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 9:06 AM by wingfat42

Barcode generation?

Sou_rabh1

Hi, am new to adobe and have only used adobe acrobat reader. I want to know is it possible to generate and read barcode using adobe or any of its products and store the barcode value? If it is possible can anyone please guide me or provide step by step process to do the same. I have heard of Adobe barcoded paper forms what are they please guide me.....

Thanks

Sourabh

• 1. Re: Barcode generation?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What symbology do you want to use? Is it 1D like code39 or 2D like PDF417?

• 2. Re: Barcode generation?
            Sou_rabh1 Level 1

Hi, I would be using Code39 symbology.

Sourabh

• 3. Re: Barcode generation?

OK, that makes it simpler. Adobe's Barcoded Paper Forms is for 2D bar codes. It involves adding usage rights to the PDF in order for it to work with Reader. In order to add the usage rights, you have to license the product, which isn't cheap.

For 1D bar codes, there are two options depending on the type of PDF form you want to use. Forms that you create in Acrobat (acroforms) can be set up to use a bar code font with a standard text field. If you want to include the standard start and stop character (*) and/or a check character, you can use JavaScript to add them. The check character would have to be calculated, but that can be easily done with JavaScript.

Forms created in LiveCycle Designer (XFA form), which comes with the Windows version of Acrobat Pro, can use a special bar code field that will do the start/stop and check character stuff automatically, so you don't have to use JavaScript.

So it really depends on which type of form you want to use. Each type has its benefits.

In order for Reader to save a filled-in form, the document has to be Reader-enabled. This is normally done with Acrobat, but it has certain licensing restrictions on the number of returned forms (500) that you're allowed to use if you distribute the form to more than 500 users. You can avoid this limitation by enabling the form using LiveCycle Reader Extensions, but at considerable expense.

• 4. Re: Barcode generation?
                Sou_rabh1 Level 1

Hi, George thanks for your help just one more thing i want to ask, with

Adobe LiveCycle Designer do we have pre-defined barcodes for direct use??

and is it possible to read the barcode and store the value using the Adobe

LiveCycle Designer?? Please let me know..

Sourabh

• 5. Re: Barcode generation?

I'm not sure what you mean by your first question. You can create static bar code symbols with LiveCycle Designer. There are a wide range of 1D symbologies to choose from, both for static and dynamic symbols.

LiveCycle Designer or Acrobat/Reader does not read bar code symbols. You need a scanner (optical or software) for that. The form data is stored in the PDF form fields, which Acrobat/Reader can display as a bar code symbol. Acrobat can export form data to a data file.

• 6. Re: Barcode generation?
                    Sou_rabh1 Level 1

Hi George, sorry for not making myself clear what you said about the

LiveCycle designer is what i needed and it works fine but now am stuck with

the reading of barcode and then storing its value(numeric value) along with

the record for which it was generated. I think i will need a software for

that purpose... Thanks for your Help....

Sourabh

• 7. Re: Barcode generation?
                      wingfat42

George Johnson wrote:

For 1D bar codes, there are two options depending on the type of PDF form you want to use. Forms that you create in Acrobat (acroforms) can be set up to use a bar code font with a standard text field. If you want to include the standard start and stop character (*) and/or a check character, you can use JavaScript to add them. The check character would have to be calculated, but that can be easily done with JavaScript.

How would i go about doing this. My current PDF form will pull a last name and first name onto the form in a Barcode format, but i need to add in *LNM to the start and another * at the end of the data that was pulled from a SQL data base.  example the pdf has a Text Feild named "borrower1_last_name" and that filed pulls the last name..  So i was thinking there should be an easy script like you said to add in to that feild properties.

thanks for any help George.

• 8. Re: Barcode generation?

The Validate script for the text field could be something like:

// Custom Validate script for text field

// Add an asterisk to the beginning and end of the value
                        if (event.value) event.value = "*" + event.value + "*";

• 9. Re: Barcode generation?
                          wingfat42 Level 1

Thanks George! that worked perfectly for what i needed.