7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2011 12:38 AM by Gospel John

Strange Buzzing from RAID drive when editing

Gospel John Level 1

Everytime I make an edit in Premiere Pro CS5.5 I hear a short quick sharp buzz from what I assume is my hard drive. It sounds like the arm is moving to find another spot on the platter but it's not an unusual sound. Occasionally it will stop doing this and behave normally.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

• 1. Re: Strange Buzzing from RAID drive when editing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Could it be a seek error? You can try to check your raid performance with something like HDTach.

• 2. Re: Strange Buzzing from RAID drive when editing
            glosstud

Hi, how many drives do you have? I ask as it could be some kind of noise phase cancellation. If you edit material on two seperate drives be it audio and video and if the drives are the same and run at the same speed the noises from both drives could be cancelling each other out and causing a different sound to what you may expect.

Dave.

• 3. Re: Strange Buzzing from RAID drive when editing
              Gospel John Level 1

I have 4 drives in my system. 1 system drive, 2 drives in RAID 0, and an Export drive. When I edit, I keep all my materials on the RAID drive with the cache file on the RAID Drive as well.

I'll check out that HDTach

• 4. Re: Strange Buzzing from RAID drive when editing
                Gospel John Level 1

Okay, it's definitely an error sound of some sort.

I tried to render something and I got a series of these short buzzes and then the exporter gave up and said, "Unknown Error" - rebooted Premiere Pro and tried to render again - no buzzes and no error.

It's a 4TB raid that I recently had almost full. Anything best practices or settings I should use with this drive? Would a defrag help things out?

• 5. Re: Strange Buzzing from RAID drive when editing
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Gospel John,

A best practice for both single hard drives and RAID arrays assembled with hard drives is to definitely not ever let them get too full! I like to stay under 70% and you should definitely stay under 90% full.

When you are "too full", Windows (NTFS) will start fragmenting files way too much and you will also be working on the inside tracks of the rotating hard drive platters which are slower than the outside tracks (the heads pass more data for the same rotating speed at the outside).

Try some "house cleaning" on your 4TB RAID so that you are only 80% full and then do a complete "defrag" on that array and see if that doesn't help a lot. If it does great, if not, time to troubleshoot the RAID.

Also, turn off "drive indexing" (right-click on drive letter from Windows Explorer and uncheck the "index" box) on your RAID array if you have not already done so for performance reasons using Premiere.

You should also have a complete backup (i.e. copy all files that are important to something like USB connected portable drives) before you go too much further.

Jim

• 6. Re: Strange Buzzing from RAID drive when editing
                    glosstud Level 1

Best course of action for now I would say, dump what you can onto a backup drive then defrag what you have left, probably worse than waiting for a render I know. But it may well incease system performance as well as solve the problem.

Failing that, dump EVERYTHING to backup, reformat/disk check then put back just what you need. I had a similar problem with some old ultra wide scsi drives (many) years ago. Still got them in the attic May come in usefull one day.....Door stop or something. Not used windows for a while but I assume not too many things have changed at this level.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Strange Buzzing from RAID drive when editing
                      Gospel John Level 1

Thanks Glosstud - that drive was getting around 75% full and I did start archiving some old projects that didn't need to be there. Now I have to defrag the heck out it!