7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 5:20 PM by Ned Murphy

Movie clip in movie clip doesn't animate

Someone0001

Yesterday I asked about how to properly get movie clips in a movie clip. For reference: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919805

As it seems, the problem is that the whole function of adding a movie clip to another movie clip suddenly has been disabled or something. I took a look at previous work of mine (.fla of course) because I suddenly remembered I used a movie clip in a movie clip, and that randomly doesn't work anymore either. Even the time line is edited: just 1 keyframe and nothing more, but increasing the timeline keeps it static regardless. What's going on? How do I fix it? Note: the .swf I also had of it still works properly.

Flash version: CS4

• 1. Re: Movie clip in movie clip doesn't animate
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Under what test conditions are you seeing whatever you are referring to as static?  A movieclip in a timeline will not display its own timeline in the authoring environment, just its first frame, no matter how many frames you allot it in the timeline it occupies.  You need to run the file to have the movieclip play.

• 2. Re: Movie clip in movie clip doesn't animate
            Someone0001 Level 1

I've tested all parts (3 movie clips total): basically, it's a simple face with eyes that have pupils that move around. The movie clip of the eye with the pupil works fine, but the next movie clip that has the complete face with pupils doesn't animate at all, and neither does the final movie clip where also the face bounces around the screen (it still bounces around the screen, but the eyes don't work. Unlike in the swf file where the eyes do work).

• 3. Re: Movie clip in movie clip doesn't animate

If you are testing you are testing an swf.  If you are looking at an fla's timeline you are not testing anything.  So under what conditions are you seeing what you call static?

• 4. Re: Movie clip in movie clip doesn't animate
                Someone0001 Level 1

With testing I mean "pressing enter to make the clip do its thing". If it works, it should move as evidenced by the final movie clip where the head moves around but the pupils do not. Also, if I recall correctly, I didn't make it a swf until I was sure it worked in the editor.

• 5. Re: Movie clip in movie clip doesn't animate

Use Control - Enter to test a file - that will test both animations and code.  As I said, if you are looking at the fla's timeline, you are not testing the file, you are just scrubbing the timeline when you use Enter alone. 

Your movieclips are animated in their own timeline so you will only ever see their first frame in playing (Enter) the parent's timeline.  If you wanted to see the movieclip's animate while using Enter you would need to either move their animations into the main timeiline, thereby ending their lives as movieclips, or convert them into graphic symbols and extend them along the main timeline.

What you should probably do to see the difference between animating with a movieclip and animating with a graphic symbol is create a dyplicate of your eyes movieclip and convert it into a graphic symbol.  Then take both and place them in different layers of a timeline and put a stop() command in the first frame.  Then use Enter to play the timeline. You should see neither of them do anything.  Next, extend them both along the main timeline for as many frames as they have for their internal animations.  Use Enter again and you will see only the graphic symbol version is animating.  Then use Control - Enter and you will see only the movieclip is animating.  Then remove the stop() command in the main timeline and use Control - Enter and you will see both of them animating.

• 6. Re: Movie clip in movie clip doesn't animate
                    Someone0001 Level 1

Ah, right, ctrl + enter it was. Can't believe I forgot that... Thank you very much, now I can finally continue.