7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 7:47 PM by Mayerchak

CS5 needs to force quit every hour or so

Mayerchak Level 1

I have Indesign CS4, CS5, and CS5.5 all installed on my MacPro.

For months now, InDesign CS5 refuses to work for more than an hour or so. That is once I open the app, I can work for a while, but then if I close a file and try to open another one, it just hangs and I have to force quit CS5.

I can use CS5.5. or CS4 without any trouble. But it seems that as soon as I've closed one file with CS5, opening the 2nd file is not going to work. Or, if I just leave the app open for more than an hour or so and try to open a file, it will hang.

I tried reinstalling the app, but that didn't change anything. I have tried turning off plugins, but I have a lot of them and they work with my other versions so I haven't tried them all one by one.

Any suggestions? It worked fine for a year or so; I can't figure out what I changed to make it stop working properly. I would use 5.5. for everything but some clients require me to work in CS5 (or earlier).

I can use CS5 on my laptop without any trouble.

I'm running OSX 10.6.8 (snow leopard).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: CS5 needs to force quit every hour or so
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Wait for it to hang, and then run Activity Monitor and choose Sample Process. Save and upload the results to http://pastebin.com.

Next, still in Activity Monitor, use View > Send Signal: Abort (SIGABRT) and that will cause InDesign to crash. Upload the crash report to pastebin.com as well.

Post both links here. Usually it is clear which plugin causes the problem.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 needs to force quit every hour or so
            Mayerchak Level 1

Well, after posting this, I was all set to do what John advised or run the Indesign clean process, which I found in another posting. But then it stopped crashing . . . I think I installed another free plugin and perhaps that fixed part of the problem. So I've kept using it and waiting and finally, after a full day, it has crashed again.

So, I followed the steps John Hawkinson suggested and posted the text in pastebin.

Here are the links:

http://pastebin.com/2Y4TBA8h

http://pastebin.com/saB0237u

Can you tell what happened?

• 3. Re: CS5 needs to force quit every hour or so
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Hmm. Well, it's not abundantly clear. The Sample Process output indicates you're in 1 of 3 functions that all relate to database snapshots:

1829 DatabaseSnapshot::Recursive_GetPersistObjLastRevInfo(IDType<UID_tag>, IDType<ImplementationID_tag>, DatabaseSnapshot*, ILastRevInfoCache*) const
                1829 DatabaseSnapshot::GetPersistObjLastRevInfo(IDType<UID_tag>, IDType<ImplementationID_tag>, ILastRevInfoCache*) const
                  1584 InterfaceSnapshotUtils::GetSnapshotSize(scoped_snapshotdataref const&)
                    1172 InterfaceSnapshotUtils::GetSnapshotSize(scoped_snapshotdataref const&)
                    412 InterfaceSnapshotUtils::GetSnapshotSize(scoped_snapshotdataref const&)
                  245 DatabaseSnapshot::GetPersistObjLastRevInfo(IDType<UID_tag>, IDType<ImplementationID_tag>, ILastRevInfoCache*) const

So, that means that at least the information from the Crash Report should be reliable.

It's actually fairly mysterious, because -- oh hey!  Reading from the bottom up (I have reversed it) of the thread 0 section:

61  com.adobe.InDesign              0x000027a6 start + 54
              60  com.adobe.InDesign              0x0000288b main + 187
              59  ...adobe.InDesign.AppFramework  0x1b7284fa GetPlugIn + 14282
              58  ...adobe.InDesign.AppFramework  0x1b702fd5 0x1b700000 + 12245
              57  com.apple.HIToolbox             0x965017f3 SendEventToEventTarget + 52
              56  com.apple.HIToolbox             0x964deef6 SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 411
              55  com.apple.HIToolbox             0x964e0080 DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 2672
              54  com.apple.HIToolbox             0x96513a24 ToolboxEventDispatcherHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) + 3006
              53  com.apple.HIToolbox             0x964ded55 SendEventToEventTargetWithOptions + 58
              52  com.apple.HIToolbox             0x964deef6 SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 411
              51  com.apple.HIToolbox             0x964dfc2f DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 1567
              50  ...obe.InDesign.Application UI  0x1d3955dc GetPlugIn + 287276
              49  ...obe.InDesign.Application UI  0x1d398071 GetPlugIn + 298177
              48  com.apple.HIToolbox             0x96514197 AEProcessAppleEvent + 50
              47  com.apple.AE                    0x985c3d65 aeProcessAppleEvent + 197
              46  com.apple.AE                    0x985c3e5b dispatchEventAndSendReply(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*) + 43
              45  com.apple.AE                    0x985c3f5c aeDispatchAppleEvent(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, unsigned long, unsigned char*) + 166
              44  ...efaultFolderX.CarbonPatcher 0x2993d939 std::_Rb_tree<unsigned long*, unsigned long*, std::_Identity<unsigned long*>, std::less<unsigned long*>, std::allocator<unsigned long*> >::_M_erase(std::_Rb_tree_node<unsigned long*>*) + 2911
              43  ...ign.Support for AppleScript  0x20c45de2 0x20c44000 + 7650

So, it appears from frame 44 that InDsign got an AppleEvent that caused it to run the 3rd party extention DefaultFolder. From later in the crash report we see that expanded as:

0x28d25000 - 0x28d29ff7 +com.stclairsoft.DefaultFolderX.osax Default Folder X Addition version 1.0 (4.4.6) <709F2DBD-0722-55F8-9C68-5AFD26D88B55> /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Default Folder X Addition.osax/Contents/MacOS/Default Folder X Addition

So, I would be quite suspicious of that scripting addition. More generally, there's lots of stuff with scripting going on. DefaultFolder calls into the Scripting interface that seems to be Placing a file (or something similar) and ultimately trying to read something that doesn't work (perhaps an InDesign Database file (INDD)).

But I would punt DefaultFolder and see if it solves your problem. Not exactly a smoking gun, but not too far from it.

• 4. Re: CS5 needs to force quit every hour or so
                Mayerchak Level 1

Thanks. I will try that. Meanwhile, it crashed again a short time later. Do you want to see those logs to see if there's anything different? If you don't mind, here they are:

http://pastebin.com/aERXZswW

and

http://pastebin.com/p0fVfEEZ

• 5. Re: CS5 needs to force quit every hour or so
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Yes, they are the same. But you should be able to see for yourself!

• 6. Re: CS5 needs to force quit every hour or so
                    Mayerchak Level 1

Thanks. DefaultFolderX is a very useful finder Xtension that adds favorite and recent folders to the open & save dialogs. I'll see if there's an update and experiment with disabling it.

Thanks again for your help! I wish I could "see for myself" and while I'm not a noob, I don't think I could have made any sense out of this code - at least, not enough to recognize where the problem was. But, I'll look it over and see if I can figure it out next time.

Thanks,

Matt

• 7. Re: CS5 needs to force quit every hour or so
                      Mayerchak Level 1

FYI - I do believe the problem has been solved. I updated Default Folder X to the latest version and it works fine and InDesign CS5 is no longer hanging up.

Thanks again for the help!