3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 8:30 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.2) update adds CUDA processing with Maximus configurations

Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.2) adds the ability to take advantage of a Tesla C2075 card for CUDA processing when that card is installed along with a Quadro card, which handles OpenGL processing. This configuration—in which the Quadro card handles OpenGL processing while the Tesla card handles CUDA processing—is referred to as a Maximus configuration.

See this page for details:

http://adobe.ly/premiere_pro_552

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.2) update adds CUDA processing with Maximus configurations
          Islanders66 Level 1

I did this upgrade last night and this morning none of my projects can find the scratch disk. I'm not sure if it was the update or the location of my scratch files are the problem. When I open the project it request that I set "my documents" to the scratch location. Then it says it can't find some render files. Oh the joy of being a noob!

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.2) update adds CUDA processing with Maximus configurations
            PaulThurston

Hi Todd, could you kindly discuss in more detail the improvement of the Nvidia Maximus configuration? The Tesla C2075 card and the Quadro 6000 card appear to be identical cards. If a PC computer had both cards installed + an AJA KONA 3G card + the Premier Pro CS 5.5.2 update, what would the advantage be in comparison to a computer that only has a Quadro 6000 card + an AJA KONA 3G card installed (no C2075?)  Adobe Master Collection would be installed in this PC computer.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.2) update adds CUDA processing with Maximus configurations
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here is what one of the Nvidia folks said when a similar question was asked elsewhere:

"That’s right; a Quadro 6000 and Tesla C2075 are not identical but they are very similar and you can expect similar performance. There are a few reasons you might want to use a Maximus configuration for Premiere Pro rather than a single Quadro 6000:

1.  Having both a Quadro and Tesla GPU in the system means when the Tesla is cranking full-out on Mercury Playback Engine the Quadro is unaffected, so you can, say, open After Effects or other application that may take advantage of the Quadro, and system performance on that app will be better than if it was competing for resources with MPE on a single GPU.

2.  In the future, we expect many users will want to run an animation application (using the Quadro) and a simulation application (on the Tesla) at the same time to provide animators with a level of interactivity they don’t have without Maximus technology. Example video is here. (http://youtu.be/_LagqqsVO28)

3.  It costs less. A typical Maximus configuration has a mid-range Quadro (e.g. a Quadro 2000) and a Tesla C2075, which in that instance costs hundreds of dollars less than a single Quadro 6000 and offers similar performance plus the workflow advantage listed above.Of course, some users may want to run a Quadro 6000 and a Tesla C2075 and get maximum performance, but others can actually get the best MPE acceleration for less money with Maximus technology."