5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 8:43 AM by [scott]

Growing pains help with CS5.5 compared to CS4.

[scott] Level 6

MacOS 10.6.8 /  IDCS5.5 (7.5.2)

Looking for a bit of guidance or perhaps just someone to tell me "you'll have to get used to it."

There are several interface items in IDCS5.5 which are slowing workflow considerably when compared to IDCS4. I skipped using IDCS5 becuase of the "highlight on hover" feature. I've finally moved to CS5.5. because that can be turned off now.

Thanks to a hack from Matthew I found earlier, I've been able to disable the background export of PDFs as well, but I still have a few general working issues I'm curious if I can adjust back closer to previous Indesign usability because the new behavior is amounting to quite a hurdle. Each little thing adds up as files are worked on. I'm hitting "undo" every 15 seconds it seems.

Example 1:

CS4

Image with text wrap - select image frame, switch to Direct Selection Tool and you can manually grab and move the text wrap indicator line without changing the image frame.

CS5.5

Image with text wrap - select image frame, switch to Direct Selection Tool and then manually dragging text wrap indicator changes the image frame and leaves the text wrap untouched. I have to specifically click the anchors on the text wrap indictor to highlight only those in order to manual change the text wrap. Clicking ANYWHERE other than specifically on the Text Wrap anchorsmerely alters the image frame (unexpectedly).

Example 2:

CS4

Select all on a page containing image frames and text frames and any other items. Using the Selection Tool I can grab a handle on a text frame and change only the text frame while all other items remain selected.

CS5.5

Select all on a page containing image and text frames along with other items. Using the Selection Tool, I click-drag a handle of a text frame and all selected items change not simply the text frame. It's as if the Selection Tool operates like the Free Transform Tool.

Example 3:

CS4

Text frame with some text in it. Having the Direct Selection Tool active, I switch to the Free Transform tool and click-drag to rotate the text and it's frame.

CS5.5

Text frame with text in it. If I have the Direct Seletion Tool active, then switch to the Free Transform Tool and click-drag to rotate the frame, the text frame rotates but the text does not. The Selection Tool MUST be active before switching to the Free Transform Tool in order to rotate the text frame AND the text it contains.

Example 4:

CS4

I can easily select an image frame by clicking anywhere inside the image frame with the Selection Tool.

CS5.5

I constantly select the image itself and not the image frame by clicking inside an image frame with the Selection Tool. (what's the center target? What's it purpose? Can I disable it?)

I hesitate to use the word "bug" but the above examples are areas where, to me, behavior is absolutely not as expected. Or at least absolutely not like previous Indesign versions going all the way back to version 2 (v2 not CS2). And this new behavior drastically slows workflow. Are these simply growing pains? Am I completely alone in seeing these issues and caring about them? 

I'll adjust if I must, but I'd be thrilled with any method to fix these annoyances.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Growing pains help with CS5.5 compared to CS4.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Example 1: double-click to select the content (and you cna do this in CS4, too). Much faster than switching tools manually. Double-click again to switch back to the frame.

Example 2: New behavior -- get used to it....  BUT, if you group items, you can select a single itme in the group by double-clicking withteh selection tool, then click any other object inthe group to select it.

Example 3: The direct select tool is nearly obsolete at this point thanks to new selection behaviors. Select the frame, then just move the cursor outside it ans look for the two-headed arrow cursor that says it will rotate around whichever proxy point is selected in the transform proxy. No need to change tools for rotation.

Example 4: Double-clicking a frame will select the content, but you can also click the "donut" in the middle which is called the "Content Grabber" and is a big timesaver if you like it and get used to it -- click on it with the selection tool and you can move the content without changing tools. You can turn it off in the View > Extras > menu.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Growing pains help with CS5.5 compared to CS4.
            [scott] Level 6

Thanks Peter,

I think you misunderstood Example 1 though I know I can double-click to grab content.. example 1 is about the text wrap, not the content.

• 3. Re: Growing pains help with CS5.5 compared to CS4.

Hmmm. You're correct, I misunderstood something.

I'm not seeing the problem you describe, so perhaps we're doing things differently. I'm selecting the object by clicking inside the frame anywhere with the selection tool, then switchng to the direct select tool. At that point I see only path nodes, not transformation handles. If the wrap path is larger or smaller than the frame I see two sets, but even if the wrap path is the same size as the frame path it seems to be the one on top.

• 4. Re: Growing pains help with CS5.5 compared to CS4.

Sorry. Left out that if you don't see waht I see when you do what I do you should try resetting your prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

• 5. Re: Growing pains help with CS5.5 compared to CS4.
                  [scott] Level 6

I see what you see. The difference is in previous versions I could simply click the text wrap line (no handles) and move it with the Direct Selection tool. Now, clicking the text wrap lines does not make them active in any way. However, just testing now to make a video to show the behavior and things are working as expencted. So, the issue may have been due to an old document conversion or some other odd factor. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks!