2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 2:49 PM by John Hawkinson

IDS 5 and 5.5 together?

charliekaiser

Is it possible to run IDS 5 and 5.5 together on the same Windows 2003 server? We had 5 running, installed 5.5 to a different drive, and lost the 5 services after the install. We only have the 5.5 services now. Guessing that it's because the app install wants to create the service name that's the same as the old one, and when it finds it already there, it gets rid of it...

Can't find any docs that refer to this...

It's a dev environment, that's why we need multiple versions running...

Thanks!

Charlie

• 1. Re: IDS 5 and 5.5 together?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you running the regular version of ID, or ID Server?

There are no issues running the regular versions simultaneously on a workstation, but Windows Server is not, as far as I know, a supported OS so may react differently. I have no idea about what happens with the ID Server versions, and I'm not sure anyone here actually has any experience running ID server other than John, and I don't think he's tried to run multiple versions, but I'll let him or anyone else who might know answer that after you clarify.

• 2. Re: IDS 5 and 5.5 together?
            John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm definitely not an ID Server expert. Harbs has more experience.

But this sounds like it is quite similar to the problem of trying to talk to multiple versions of InDesign (Desktop) via the Scripting interface, which people have had trouble with over in the scripting forum. I'm not sure if there was a resolution. Search over there and see if you can find that, and if not, let me know and I will dig for it.

But I don't use ID Server under Windows and am not really a fan of Windows development, so there must be better resources out there...