9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 2:22 PM by eubean525

A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible

eubean525 Level 1

Hello,

I'm stumped by this one. I placed Objects (type, graphic objects, bars) on the Master Page that will repeat on every new page. But when I go to any of the new pages, I can't select any of the type boxes, object boxes or colored bars. There is only one layer and it is not locked. The objects I placed on the Masterpage won't highlight when I go to the actual document as though they are only in the background.

Gah! What am I overlooking?

Al

• 1. Re: A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is natural behaviour for InDesign. If you want to select a master item on your doument page, hold down Shift-Command (mac) while selecting. (There is a key combination for PC as well, but I don't know it).

• 2. Re: A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible
            eubean525 Level 1

Thanks, I was clicking and scrolling all over the place. Are you familiar with the reasoning for this behavior so I can understand it in the future?

Regards,

Al

• 3. Re: A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's to keep these items from being accidentally moved or changed. If you want to make all master items on a given page or spread editable at once, you can choose Override all Master Page Items from the menu in the pages pallet.

• 4. Re: A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible
                eubean525 Level 1

Thanx, again.

Appreciative

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Al Naclerio wrote:

Are you familiar with the reasoning for this behavior so I can understand it in the future?

I'm guessing you are a quark refugee.

The rationale is that if you need to edit it on the document page, 99% of the time it shouldn't be on the master page to begin with. Do you know you can place text and images in empty master ferames WITHOUT first selecting them? They override automatically when you do that (you'll see the loaded "place gun" cursor change to be surrounded by parentheses when the content is going into an exisiting frame). In fact, when placing text that needs to autoflow, it is IMPERATIVE that you NOT override a master frame or you lose the connection to the master page on all the other frames that get added -- the master frames are completely ignored and new frames are drawn on the fly.

Perhaps you could clarify why you need to select these objects.

• 6. Re: A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible
                    nicolaslevet

What I use to teach to my student is to use a bit of "philosophy" before starting to layout elements, just keeping them aware that element that are on the master pages won't be selectable (unless the shortcut), which is an ADVANTAGE. If they want to use placeholder boxes for future text or graphic inserts, it's a plus. If they are building a newspaper with diffferent designs for each chapter (for example, changing the colour of headers) I suggest using different Master pages, or more advance, using a parent-master with element that won't move at all and use child-master based on the parent for different chapters.

@Peter, I sardonically laughed at you "Quark refugee" expression. I am a Quark former user but I'm now for 10 years "on the "bright side" (like many on this forum, I assume).

• 7. Re: A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible
                      eubean525 Level 1

More accurately, a Quark victim.

Unfortunately, I'm the type that gets thrown into a job and has to learn in real time. I don't have the patience to read the manual so these forums are my best friend. My need, in this case, was simple. I don't see an alternative to it unless you do. My project was to have a jpg portrait photo followed by a small bio. Just above bio and level with the top of the photo would be a colored bar and the person's name knocked out in white. This was to be repeated five times. Every page would look the same allowing a person to drop a new photo into the succeeding box and add a new bit of info.  etc. The previous responder who told me how to select the items made it understandable enough for me.

It looked like this. Below is a screen grab. I'm sure I'll learn a lot more as the need arrives. In every case, I'm very appreciative for the responses. PS, I still find color management schizophrenic. I'm never sure why swatches, libraries and the ability to change colors has to be in separate locations.

Regards,

Al

• 8. Re: A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, to post a screen shot you need to use the little camera icon on the web page -- attachments are disabled.

Second, how are you getting the text? As I mentioned, you don't need tooverride anything to place text into a master page placeholder, so unless you need to type in the text for each frame you are wasting time and effort by doing so. Your colored bar can be a text frame, too. Just set the insets and vertical justification you need, and of course the reversed text should be controlled by the paragraph style.

All of that said, this sounds like it might be a job for Data Merge. You'd do yourself a favor by getting over not wanting to read and open the help files to read about it.

• 9. Re: A new problem for me. Objects from Master page innaccessible
                          eubean525 Level 1

Good point about the colored bar. I don't know why that didn't come to me on my own. 

Al