2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 12:41 PM by Kenneth C. Benson

Cross reference text anchor source in Word doc

Kenneth C. Benson Level 4

I'm trying to figure out a way to automatically generate page numbers for a list of courses at the back of a course catalog. The listing is not arranged alphabetically or in the order the courses appear in the catalog, and (right now) the listing is a table. Because of this, I don't think a TOC or Index would work.

Cross references seem to work, but they're just as much work as turning pages, finding each entry, and typing it into the list. What I'd really like is to be able to use cross-references to text anchors, but have the anchors inserted in Word, before it goes into Indesign. Many of the courses repeat from one catalog to the next. The editor who creates the Word file does so by pasting each course with its description into one big Word file. If the text anchor were in each course to begin with, it would end up in Indesign and I would only have to reference it to generate a page number.

It seems that Word's Bookmarks come into Indesign as text anchors, but not with their original names. The first bookmark, regardless of its name in Word, comes in named "Anchor". The next one comes in named "Anchor 5" or something like that. I want them to come in with course numbers or some other unique identifier. "Anchor 5" doesn't really tell me anything.

Any ideas?

Ken Benson

• 1. Re: Cross reference text anchor source in Word doc
          peter minneapolis Level 4

Kenneth Benson wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a way to automatically generate page numbers for a list of courses at the back of a course catalog. The listing is not arranged alphabetically or in the order the courses appear in the catalog, and (right now) the listing is a table. Because of this, I don't think a TOC or Index would work.

Cross references seem to work, but they're just as much work as turning pages, finding each entry, and typing it into the list. What I'd really like is to be able to use cross-references to text anchors, but have the anchors inserted in Word, before it goes into Indesign. Many of the courses repeat from one catalog to the next. The editor who creates the Word file does so by pasting each course with its description into one big Word file. If the text anchor were in each course to begin with, it would end up in Indesign and I would only have to reference it to generate a page number.

It seems that Word's Bookmarks come into Indesign as text anchors, but not with their original names. The first bookmark, regardless of its name in Word, comes in named "Anchor". The next one comes in named "Anchor 5" or something like that. I want them to come in with course numbers or some other unique identifier. "Anchor 5" doesn't really tell me anything.

Any ideas?

Ken Benson

Hi, Ken:

IIRC, Word's cross-references are preserved in InDesign. Have you tried it?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: Cross reference text anchor source in Word doc
            Kenneth C. Benson Level 4

Hi Peter

I'm not sure how that will work. I need the cross-reference *source* to come in from Word. But the reference to the source will be added in Indesign, in a different file even.

I can make a bookmark and reference to it in Word. But all I really need is the bookmark. It just comes through without a meaningful name.

Ken Benson