14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 11:27 AM by Jim_Simon

MPEG2 to DVD

ssccuubbaattvv

MPEG2 to DVD

How long does it take to copy a 1.3 GB Mpeg2 file off an internal HD to a 16x DVD?

Using Windows 7 "copy paste" I formatted the DVD to "act like a flash drive".

The DVD is 16x and I don't know the internal DVD burner speed - Any suggestions on how I can find out?

Would a software program reduce the time?

We do a public access TV show and the station is moving away from Mini DV tapes to Mpeg2 files.

OK. No problem, I'll just transfer the Mpeg2 file off my portable HD or a flash drive to a server station provided by the station.

Nope. We have to transfer the Mpeg2 file to a DVD. And in my case it's taking 40 minutes for a 1.3 GB file.

Much more time than it takes to render the whole project (15 minutes).

I'm not happy.

Maybe the station is concerned about viruses from flash drives or hard drives? I don't know. But why introduce an intermediary medium simply to move a file from one place to another? Especially an intermediary medium that produces a crazy slow processing time?

Can anyone here please suggest a better way to get a Mpeg2 file created after editing up to the cablecasting area other than burning a disk?

Can someone offer up some ideas on how I can convince the station that this DVD project does not make sense?

Thanks, Jon

• 1. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jon,

Is it safe to assume that you wish to Copy the data file (the MPEG-2) to a DVD-Data disc, and not author a DVD-Video?

Rather than go through a drag-n-drop (virtual HDD) software, what happens, speed wise, when you use a direct burning program, like the great free ImgBurn, to Burn the DVD-Data, to the disc? Is that any faster?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
            ssccuubbaattvv Level 1

Wow!

How was I to know a forty minute Win7 burn could be reduced to five minutes including a two minunte verfiy?

I'd be amazed if I was not so overwhelming grateful for the heads up. Wow, really wow.

ImgBurn will not let me burn a DVD twice, even if there is space available, is that correct?

Feeling like a fool here, but big thanks.

• 3. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

ImgBurn will not let me burn a DVD twice, even if there is space available, is that correct?

Do you mean append files to a burned disc? I have not tried that, but I'll bet that there are some ImgBurn gurus, who can tell you if it's possible, or if so, exactly how to do it. I believe that all of the DVD-Data discs are finalized, and if so, then they cannot be written to.

Now, with room on the blank disc, you can Add Files from all over your system, or just Copy them into a working folder, but I think that is not what you are asking.

Good luck, and glad that ImgBurn helped. In my experiences, the packet-writing programs, like InCD, or DLA, are horribly slow, almost to the point of being unusable, or at least something that you startt, and then go out for a 3-martini lunch.

Hunt

• 4. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ImgBurn does not support multiusesssion burning.

It is, however, one of the most requested features on their forums.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Thank you for that clarification. I suspected that, but you have confirmed my suspicions.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                    ssccuubbaattvv Level 1

Bill: Again, thanks so much for the tip. That advice made a difference in my stress level. 

Now, having said that....

Would you have any suggestions for free transcoding software?

You know, avi - mpeg - flv.. and others?

Also... would have a suggestion for transcoding software for WMA - WAV - MP2 and others?

I've tried a few over the years, but need to update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again, Jon

• 7. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For MPEG-2, I often go with ProCoder, but it is not free. I feel certain that others will have some useful, free encoder recs., but I really do not - sorry.

Good luck, and wait for the replies to come in.

Hunt

• 8. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                        legs2sag Level 1

For transcoding, give Format Factory a try: http://www.formatoz.com/

It's not at all bad for free software.

• 9. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                          ssccuubbaattvv Level 1

Bill: So you are using a Canopus add-on using ProCoder instead of what's offered in the Pro CS5.5 menu?

I mean, you're sitll encoding Mpeg2 out of the Premier timeline, correct?

Because I'm confused with Format Factory also.

If I have a project on a timeline, it's best to encode off the timeline correct?

Thank to Wikipedia.

• 10. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Most often, I use AME (Adobe Media Exporter), but when I have difficult motion, then I'll go with ProCoder.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Would you have any suggestions for free transcoding software?

For MPEG2  http://www.bitburners.com/hc-encoder/

For MPEG4  http://handbrake.fr/

• 12. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                                ssccuubbaattvv Level 1

The suggested programs are intergrated into Pro CS5.5?

• 13. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                                  legs2sag Level 1

Sorry if I misunderstood your original post regarding transcoding. Format Factory does not integrate with Premiere. You load your clips into it and it will convert them to one of many formats. You can change scores of settings including bit rate for both audio and video.

As for integration with Premiere, then Procoder is definitely worth considering although it is quite expensive. Some people swear by it and say the output is better than with the MainConcept encoder. Although I have tested it, I couldn't see a difference... but then I'm not using calibrated monitors (I'm just a very keen amateur on a very limited budget.)

• 14. Re: MPEG2 to DVD
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

The suggested programs are intergrated into Pro CS5.5?

No, they're external free programs.  Just what was asked for.

1 person found this helpful